A Perfect Circle Rocks T.O.

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, Apr 23, 2004.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Place: Ricoh Colliseum in Toronto, Ontario
    Opening Act: Burning Brides
    Headlining Act: A Perfect Circle
    Show Duration: (approx 8:00-10:45)

Setlist for APC (*=highlights):

1.Vanishing*
    2. Pet
    3. The Hollow
    4. Magdalena
    5. Weak And Powerless*
    6. Blue
    7. Brena*
    8. Thinking Of You
    9. A Stranger*
    10. The Package*
    11. 3 Libras
    12. The Nurse Who Loved Me*
    13. Gravity *
    14. The Outsider*
    15. The Noose*
    16. Judith*

Review: I was kinda worried about how these guys would perform...their music is really mellow and even though it has great atmosphere and feeling I didn't know if they could pull it off. After me and a friend of mine finished walking all around Exhibition Place for the stadium, getting patted down for cameras/drugs/etc, getting our wristbands and making it down to the floor....we had to wait more than an hour for APC to go on. The opening act was a band called the Burning Brides. I can't really describe them, they play everything from pop-rock to full out metal...but I thought they were quite good and it was nice to see some of the local talent.

Anyways, we had to wait a long time for them to set up the stage. Finally the lights dimmed again and the first thing that struck me was the effects...! They had great lighting, they had Josh Freese's drumset up on platforms on the right side facing the stage, with James Iha (rhythm guitar) on the other side and Maynard up in his little 'perch' in the middle. Jeordie (bass) and Billy Howerdel (lead guitar) up front on the regular stage. There was all these cool trees made of 'coils' that could change different colours and stuff, really awesome.

For me it was a much more spacey, atmospheric and surreal experience than the Dream Theater show. I still think live DT edges A Perfect Circle out by a bit, but these guys came closer than I ever thought. Being in the front 1/4 of the audience on the floor helped too (a bit too far behind the mosh pit to get involved). 'Vanishing' was a great spacey track, contrasted by the crushing opening riffs of the second number 'Pet'. Their lead single off of '13th Step' was equally impressive as bassist Jeordie White got the spotlight there.

During ballads like 'Brena' and especially the breathtaking rendition of 'A Stranger', everyone got their lighters out and it was crazy! The ' dark romantic' tone of 'The Nurse Who Loved Me' was made even darker

*will finish later*

That sounds awesome. I'd kill to go to an APC show. :)

Super Xero

Super Xero Well-Known Member

APC is one of the best bands I've seen live..maybe the best. The harder sounding "The Nurse Who Loved Me" is very very cool ..We also got Paz on violen during "3 Libras"..ha..suckers..

They didn't play "Brena" or "A Stranger" when I saw them..instead it was "Rose" and...I don't recall what the other song was.

Tons of Michael Jackson jokes..pretty funny..they played some song called "Fred's Got Slacks" for a few secs..Jeordie had a mini-jam session at the end of the show..played a parts of a Metallica song and a Smashing Pumpkins song

Blindsided Revelation

Blindsided Revelation Well-Known Member

I saw them in when they toured the UK back in February. I thought they were absolutely awesome. I loved the way Maynard was behind a screen during "Vanishing", the cheer when that screen came down was almost overwhelming. It was a tremendous atmosphere.

It was a brilliant performance the whole way through, it was the first time they performed Brena during 13th Step tours ^_^

Looks like Odaton got "A Stranger" instead of "Orestes". Other than that the sets are the same, only other difference is that James Iha did a cover of a Velvet Underground song. Jeordie said he was gonna do "Freds Got Slacks" the next night.

We had Melissa Auf Der Maur as support, who was really good too - even though I didn't know her songs at the time.

All in all it was fantastic experience! :D

May

May Ambient

ahhh!! you lucky people! me and my boyfriend wanted to see them live so badly! but we didn't have the money to get the tickets :angry: but it sounded like an awesome concert. maybe next time...