Slipknot Fan Dies

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mr. Benzedrine, Apr 24, 2004.

Mr. Benzedrine

Mr. Benzedrine Rock the 40 Oz

Its a shame that there is always a chance of this happening to anyone who goes to a Concert, :(

Alecia Holst went to a lot of concerts.

The Middleville senior had no idea when she left for Detroit Friday night to attend a Slipknot concert at Harpos Concert Theatre that it would be her last.

Holst did not return to Mount Pleasant. While at the concert, she went into sudden cardiac arrest, her heart failed and she was rushed to St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit where she died Tuesday night. She was 21.

Doctors are unsure what caused the arrest. Drugs or alcohol were not a factor.

Her friends at CMU, the same friends she had at Thornapple Kellogg High School in Middleville, where she spent her young life, will remember her as the smiling, but stubborn girl who kept them grounded.

“She kept us in line. She yelled at us when we were doing stupid things and told us to go to class,” said Middleville senior Lauren Vandal, who has known Holst since the second grade.

Holst was a child development major who planned on going to Grand Valley State University after she graduated in August to pursue a nursing career.

She loved kids, helped with the kids’ program at the church she attended in Caledonia and worked at Midnight Rainbow, 1203 S. Mission St., a local child care business.

“She wanted a lot of kids when she got older,” Vandal said.

She often bothered her older brother and his wife about giving her a niece or nephew, said Holst’s long-time pal and roommate Carrie VanVeghel, Middleville senior.

She was close to her family and got along well with her brothers, Kyle, 18, and Kevin, 27, and her parents, Ken and Marcia, she said.

Holst often helped Kyle Holst, a freshman at Ferris State University, with his school papers, VanVeghel said.

She was spontaneous, adventurous and always having a good time, said her cousin and friend Rachel Emnons, who Holst planned on joining at GVSU.

“We used to do everything together,” VanVeghel said.

Together, VanVeghel, Vandal, Holst and other friends attended concerts, played catch and watched the comic book flicks Holst adored.

“She dragged me to see Spiderman and the X-Men movies,” VanVeghel said. “She was a big fan.”

Holst was almost as big a sports fan. Her teams were the NFL’s Oakland Raiders and the NHL’s Detroit Red Wings, said her cousin, Travis Wilcox, Carson City junior.

Wilcox said his family and her family used to go camping together while growing up.

“She was always really easy going,” he said.

Holst also enjoyed the company of her two cats.

While in high school, Holst raised rabbits to show at the county fair with the local 4-H group.

“She enjoyed animals,” Kevin Holst said.

VanVeghel said she would now take care of the cats.

Holst is survived by her mother, father and two brothers.

Funeral services are 11 a.m. Saturday at Caledonia United Methodist Church in Caledonia. Visitation is from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at Beeler Funeral Home in Middleville.

Notes of condolences can be sent to Ken and Marcia Holst at 6501 Stimpson Road, Middleville, Mich., 49333

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Wow! It's scary how someone healthy can just go into a cardiac arrest at a concert. :(

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

What an odd Slipknot fan...

Mr. Benzedrine

Mr. Benzedrine Rock the 40 Oz

Stop being so Stereotypical, For God Sake, Thats just the kind of Attitude that people take just because they see someone in the street who looks different to everyone else.

Just because she is a Slipknot fan doesnt mean she cant like Kids

That really Pisses me off.

The_Neo_13

The_Neo_13 Banned

Wow just reading this made me think "I'm never going to a concert ever"
    This is scary , how life can just suddenly go away....
    Better live your life while it lasts , You don't know when your time has come ....

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

I was referring to the church, not the children. Slipknot is an anti-christ band.

The_Neo_13

The_Neo_13 Banned

So what , i listen to slipknot , and i'm christian.....music shouldn't affect your beliefs .
    I also listen to AFI.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

thats just not on. thats really sad news :mellow:

Beautiful Disgrace

Beautiful Disgrace Well-Known Member

That's pretty sad man...

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

That sucks, dude. It was probably because of the intensity of the concert or something. :\

linkin park 101

linkin park 101 Shhh! If You're Quiet I'll Show You A Dinosaur

oh my god

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

Hearing about this stuff makes me think about twice when going into a mosh pit for a concert.

That's sad :(

If she went into cardiac arrest, then she must have a bad heart to begin with. Stuff like that doesn't happen to people with a healthy heart. I feel really sorry for her family but I'm just curious about the cause.

Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

But shouldnt you have a healthy heart at the tender age of 21?

Thats real sad. She had such a promising future...

But shouldnt you have a healthy heart at the tender age of 21?

Thats real sad. She had such a promising future... [/b][/quote]
    She should. That's why I'm saying she must've had a bad heart or something. :wth: If so, why can't the doctors detect it? :mellow:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Some people are born with heart defects. Either that, or heart problems are in her family genes, stuff like that is hereditary.

As for the Slipknot stereotypes, who gives a crap? There's no law saying that if you're a christain you can't like Slipknot. Not every Slipknot fan is some depressed, gothic psycho who slashes their wrists every night.

LinkinTheory

LinkinTheory Well-Known Member

Amen, Todd. I'm a Slipknot fan, and I'm a straight-A, Christian, National Junior Honor Society geek with longer than average hair and glasses. Whatcha gon' do?

But I feel real bad for her. It's a shame to see such an obviously good person die at such a young age.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

She seems too delightful and happy a person to listen to Slipknot. Sad she died though.

Meteora89

Meteora89 Well-Known Member

Wow thats sad, im not suprised she went into cardiac arrest during a slipknot show, they are VERY rough in the mosh pit, anywhere. I would know because ive been to 2 shows and boths times i was hurt in some way and i wasent even in the pit. I just wish the best for her family.