D-Day | 06/06/44 - 06/06/04

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Anthony., Jun 5, 2004.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Sixty years ago, troops from Allied nations (mainly Canada, G.B. and the U.S.) embarked for the greatest, by what it did for the world at least, military operation of all times. Soldiers were gonna invade Festung Europa and go through the so-called invincible Atlantic Wall to liberate Europe from Nazi authority. Many lost their lives while touching the sand of Juno, Gold, Sword, Utah and Omaha Beach, but their sacrifice was worth it. Paratroopers had to face well-tought German defenses, but even if many died they still carried out operations that would leave enemies with no communications and no way to move.

The world wouldn't be so today if it wasn't of Operation Overlord. Success would mean liberation of Europe, while failiure would have meant many more years under the Nazi regime. Those years would have brought war to North America, but it never happened, thanks to the young men that left all behind for the freedom of the world. Have a tought for them.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Yeah, the world would be much different if the operation wasn't successful. Wow. 60 years. I'm talking like I was there...

TheSunIsShining

TheSunIsShining Well-Known Member

its strange how all the little things change the big things.....

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

We owe an unimaginable amount of respect and thanks to the men and women who made sacrifices for our future. Words cannot express the thanks I feel.

Kaleb.09

Kaleb.09 Well-Known Member

aparently Gerard Shroeder (German Chancellor) is been invited to attend the ceromany for the 1st time, and alot of war vets are upset about this.

Jamie

Jamie Super Member LPA Super Member

I have much respect for the soldiers who went out there and won us our freedom :rawk: much respect guys! and gals!

Anthony.

Some cannot see it's time to move foraward, and unite ourselves to defend us from the new threats. Germany has shown for the lasts years it regrets what happened, and I feel it's sincere. However, some are too much "old guard".

Kaleb.09

Kaleb.09 Well-Known Member

I agree some people should move on and not dwell on past mistakes, I also think it is discusting how some of the royal family didnt turn up for this ceromony , I also now miss my grandfather all of sudden he was a pilot during world war 2, and I was the only grandchild to ever get to know him :(

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

It's hard to do so when 60 years ago, you were taking bullets from them and losing friends and allies. Then again, they probably felt the same.

Crazy.Desperate.Insane

Crazy.Desperate.Insane Well-Known Member

Applause to the soldiers..

Speaking of wars, my grandfather was one of the guerilla soldiers during the second world war. He suffered in the hands of the Japanese. He endured the so-called "Death March" here in the Philippines wherein they were asked to march many, many miles without food and water. The soldiers that seemed to lack strength, those that have already fallen to the ground were shot to death by the masochist Japanese. My grandpa endured that. He got ulcer because of that and his heart disease got worse.

I hope that there will be no world war ever again.

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

i was so scared there will be one after the twin towers. because how everybody was against afghanistan or stuff like that.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

Did you get that from somewher else?

Anthony.

Did you get that from somewher else? [/b][/quote]
    Nope, I'm a WW2 freak.