PSP vs. DS

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by TeMpEsT, Jul 7, 2004.

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

Relevant? Discuss.

Hybrid Soldier

Hybrid Soldier Y2K

i think the PSP will be a more of a success because of the new umd. albums and movies are going to be ported to that format. And doesnt the psp have a bigger screen?
    they're just saying that because the gamecube sucked. ps2 had games with great storylines.
    it's funny how there've been so many versions of the gameboy. what a waste of money.

ProJecT NotHinG

ProJecT NotHinG Banned

The PSP looks beautiful...maybe down the road Ill be thinking bout buying a DS too, since I do own a GBA SP (one of the best handheld systems ever)

Link04

Link04 Ambient

It's all going to come down to the pricing of the PSP, if it's reasonable, it will outsell the DS.

ProJecT NotHinG

ProJecT NotHinG Banned

the PSP will probably be maybe $250...while the DS would go for...around $200

That's my theory!! :)

TeMpEsT

The DS isn't being mentioned as a GameBoy successor.

PSP screen size: 4.3 inches
    DS screen size(s): 3 inches

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Personally, I'll be getting a PSP. I think that the DS's 2-Screen idea is a pretty cool idea, but I just don't know how many uses game creators can think of for it... I think that the backwards-compatibility of the DS with GBA will help it sell alot, just because so many people have those two systems. I also think it will sell alot because Sony is new to the portable industry, while Nintendo is the only real player in it right now. People will probably associate the DS as being more reliable than the PSP, just because everyone has the other Nintendo portables. Although, I think it will really come down to the game publishers. It's their decision whether the DS or PSP will sell alot, because if there is not a strong library of games for either system, that system won't sell alot. But, I'll be getting a PSP, because the launch games look pretty cool. (MGS Portable!!!) And I love the graphics.

enfestid

enfestid Guest

He's got a few key issues, but it's not really an amazing arguement. No offense, I agree with him, but mostly for different reasons. If I felt like it I'd actually give you all my reasons, but I just really don't want to right now, to be honest :lol: Maybe I'll just search the gaming forums I go to for my posts and copy and paste them.

No. Sony is the only one supporting UMD and most likely will be the only one. Want to know why? Because Sony's UMD isn't just going to be incorporated in the PSP. Why on Earth would you give your competitor the upper hand by releasing movies and music on that format? Not to mention it's an unproven format. It's simply not going to work out... I'll bet you however much money you want to bet on the matter ;) Every industry analysist can tell you that it's going to be a failure (the UMD, not the PSP).

Tell me you're joking before I have to slap you :lol: The GameCube most definitely did not suck. Want to know why? Because of the Nintendo-exclusive games. I can even give you a list of all the games that are out (or coming out soon) that will wallop pretty much any PS2 game, with the exception of a few. PS2 games had great storylines? Good, because the majority of PS2 games were crap. GameCube games had a little something called "gameplay", which is what I care about. Not to mention the PS2 "exclusives" normally aren't exclusive for very long. Most of the good PS2 games are multiplatform, too... PS2 is only so popular because it has support from every multiplatform developer.

Eh, no, not really. Especially since Nintendo has been supporting the older versions. GameBoy came out, but they appealed to the consumers by releasing the pocket and color because of a request from their consumers. Note that they continued to still support the original GameBoy, though. Then factor in that the GBA was able to play your old games and Nintendo still supported the GameBoy... how's it a waste of money again?

As TeMpEsT said, the DS is not meant to be the GameBoy Advance's successor. It's meant to be a new handheld -- they're going to make another GameBoy down the road.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

The DS isn't being mentioned as a GameBoy successor.

PSP screen size: 4.3 inches
    DS screen size(s): 3 inches [/b][/quote]
    The PSP's screen is 7" wide. Well, that's what I've heard anyway :wtf:

I've talked about this with people I know in school and we all agree that the PSP will blow the DS away... :p One of the reasons that we think this is that on the PSP, so I have heard, you can play DVD's that you write to the type of discs that the PSP takes... Sounds pretty amazing if it's true... :eek:

TeMpEsT

The PSP's screen is 7" wide. Well, that's what I've heard anyway :wtf:

I've talked about this with people I know in school and we all agree that the PSP will blow the DS away... :p One of the reasons that we think this is that on the PSP, so I have heard, you can play DVD's that you write to the type of discs that the PSP takes... Sounds pretty amazing if it's true... :eek: [/b][/quote]
    I got the screen information from IGN, so I wouldn't doubt if it was wrong. :whistle: It might be 7x4.3 (length - width)

The DVD function will be a flop, why the Hell would you want to watch a DVD on a screen that's 4.3 inches? I wouldn't spend over $100 to do so. The only thing I would use the PSP for (if I were to get it) is gaming.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

See, I think that Nintendo's handheld is going to be a bigger success. Why? Because Nintendo is the god-company of handheld gaming. Period. Anyone remember Sega Gamegear? Nope. But everyone remembers the GameBoy.

I think it's the fact that Nintendo has a lot of experience with the handheld systems, so they're going to be a bigger success when compared to the PlayStation handheld.

Nintendo doesn't have a whole lot of luck, though. Every time they announce a new system, they have another company that they end up having to compete with. Take the Xbox, for example. Nintendo rushed the GameCube out so it would launch at the same time as the Xbox. There was (supposedly) going to be a lot more features in the GameCube than there actually was.

Hopefully Nintendo doesn't let Sony get to them and make them rush the DS out. I'd rather them actually work on it and make it as best as they can before shipping it out, instead of shipping it out when it isn't completely finished like they did with the GameCube.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

PSP. Why? Better game selection.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

:huh: How do you figure?

Mark

:huh: How do you figure? [/b][/quote]
    Sony has a history of putting out better games as exclusives, although Nintendo does have the classics (Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc). So if history repeats itself, it will have a better game selection.

Graphics don't make or break a system in my opinion. Unless you're comparing an Xbox to an SNES.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Sony has a history of putting out better games as exclusives, although Nintendo does have the classics (Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc). So if history repeats itself, it will have a better game selection.

Graphics don't make or break a system in my opinion. Unless you're comparing an Xbox to an SNES. [/b][/quote]
    Hey SNES has some better games than games we have now. Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, etc.

Mark

Hey SNES has some better games than games we have now. Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, etc. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, but that's not what I was talking about when I was comparing the two systems. I was talking about graphics. :lol:

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I am positive that Sony will try it’s best to provide us with some great variety and entertainment on the PSP.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I remember the Sega Gamegear! :D

It's massive though :lol:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I think I will like the PSP better because of the selection of games. IMO, the better games are on PS2 with the little kid games on GameCube, if that's true for PSP and DS, then PSP wins.

And graphics do not make a game. Some of the old Atari classics like PacMan are the best games hands down.