Braces

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Mechanical Christ, Aug 7, 2004.

Eilonwy

Eilonwy Well-Known Member

I had braces for about four years. I hated them, but they were worth it, I think. The stupid rubber bands were a pain, though, because sometimes I would try to put them on but I would accidentally let go and pop myself in the mouth. And then I'd feel like an idiot. But seriously, I'm glad I had them, because now there's one less thing for me to be self-conscious about, subtracted from a list of thousands.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

I've had them for 2 years and getting them off in about 3 weeks. They weren't half as bad as people told me they would be, but maybe that's just because my case wasn't that serious. For me, it only hurt when they first put it on and after I got used to it I couldn't feel a thing. I'm getting retainers soon, how are they?

And just a warning if you're getting them, never believe the estimated completion date that your orthodontist tells you.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

Should I underestimate or overestimate it? Should it be more than what she says or less?

For me I am being relegated to a world of porridge since I got them, thing is, it didn't even hurt, but i can't bite hard stuff just yet. It's been 3 days so far.

hmartin84

hmartin84 Well-Known Member

I haven't had braces yet. But I'm going to be getting them soon. I'm going to call and get an apointment to my recommended orthodontist this month. I'll letcha know when I've got them.

Mechanical Christ

I haven't had braces yet. But I'm going to be getting them soon. I'm going to call and get an apointment to my recommended orthodontist this month. I'll letcha know when I've got them. [/b][/quote]
    Cool ^_^ , let me know how you cope with it

well I got mine a while about a month, after i first met up with the orthodontist. Cuz first you gotta get the moulds done, then the X Rays, to see if you need extractions, then they give you about a few weeks to get the extractions done, THEN you get the braces. And usually you get the upper one done first, then a few months later, the lower braces.

That's for me, but I don't know about your case, depends on the situation too.

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

i think its different depending on the type of braces you have. i know of only 2, the regular ones and the ones that tighten by themselves when you sleep (i have those ones). my friend had the regular ones and he said they had to put spacers in ahead of time but my brother and i just got them all at the same time. and it didnt hurt when they put it in, the pain only started that night until a week, then about 3 days when you have to use rubber bands. the kind i have, they just change the wire and it doesnt hurt at all, but my other friend said she couldnt chew gum after they tightened them, so im guessing its different.

Mechanical Christ

i think its different depending on the type of braces you have. i know of only 2, the regular ones and the ones that tighten by themselves when you sleep (i have those ones). my friend had the regular ones and he said they had to put spacers in ahead of time but my brother and i just got them all at the same time. and it didnt hurt when they put it in, the pain only started that night until a week, then about 3 days when you have to use rubber bands. the kind i have, they just change the wire and it doesnt hurt at all, but my other friend said she couldnt chew gum after they tightened them, so im guessing its different. [/b][/quote]
    Yup, no sticky food allowed. No popcorn either :(

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

Well I wasn't supposed to drink soda or chew gum. But uh, you know the rest...I'm looking forward to those stains. :mellow:

Rinkin

Rinkin Well-Known Member

I have braces and at first they were okay but now that it's been over two years with them they're really a pain in the ass. The orthodontist keeps feeding me this bull**** about what I need to do with them, etc. He even screwed my family over by giving my brother braces when he didn't need them.
    The only time braces are annoying are when the orthodontists tightens them (puts on a new wire) and when you start wearing rubber bands (if you ever need to wear them).

I got some really screwed up teeth. I had to get a tooth pulled about 2 years ago and got it pulled. Since it's been two years you'd think another tooth would replace it. Wrong. Nothing's growing there so I had to go to some special doctor who had to cut my gum and go down and find the adult tooth, chain it, and them have the orthodontist tighten the chain so the tooth would come up faster. Well it seems it's not working and I'm probably going to have get a fake tooth. That special doctor also tried to rip off my family by trying to give me that gas that makes you fall asleep (I forget what it's called) and other things when that my dad never asked for.
    When they were cutting my gum they found like 5 other little baby tooth thingies. I gotta be high in calcium.

Jila

haha i eat everything they tell me not to. i just ate a cookie today with nuts, granola, and a lot of chewy stuff and my back bracket broke off. i think ive had 5 come off so far. but then it doesnt matter because im getting them off this wednesday woot!! go me.

oh, my teeth didnt get stained or anything. they werent as white as they used to be, but i had really white teeth before. okay, maybe they did get stained but they arent as nasty as other peoples.

Mechanical Christ

haha i eat everything they tell me not to. i just ate a cookie today with nuts, granola, and a lot of chewy stuff and my back bracket broke off. i think ive had 5 come off so far. but then it doesnt matter because im getting them off this wednesday woot!! go me.

[/b][/quote]
    :eek:

:lol:

Jila

:eek:

:lol: [/b][/quote]
    correction, i broke two..

..and i think i swallowed the back pieces of my bottom elastic because theyre missing :mellow:

Mechanical Christ

i've got red and black now (tribute to Darth Maul :lol: ), next i'm getting yellow and black, then green and black, orange and black, blue and black, and then all black.

Meteora*

Meteora* Member

No, I don't have braces but it won't be long coming.
    I'm scared about that. :angry: I heard it hurts.
    It's true ?

Mechanical Christ

It's ok! I heard it hurt too, but when i got it didn't even get worse but mine are quite ok, it depends on the situation...

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I used to have braces on. They didn't really hurt coming on and off but it was an uncomfortable process. Sometimes they got stuck on your tongue and it was a pain. Don't be scared about getting them on. Nothing to worry about. They are just a pain in the ass. :)

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

It's ok! I heard it hurt too, but when i got it didn't even get worse but mine are quite ok, it depends on the situation... [/b][/quote]
    what kind of situation? :shifty:
    *gets noughty thoughts*

Mechanical Christ

what kind of situation? :shifty:
    *gets noughty thoughts* [/b][/quote]
    *AHEMMMM HEMMMHEMMMHEMM*

SITUATION means the degree of how serious the condition of the teeth is, like if it's really crooked, or it can mean how solid the food you eat is.

morelikemelesslikeyou

morelikemelesslikeyou Member

I've had braces for about 8 months. They don't really hurt, but they're incredibly annoying. I broke a bracket (i hope that's how to spell it) on a piece of chicken. X'(

Li

Li Well-Known Member

I had braces for 6 years plus a couple of months. My teeth were pretty bad. Got them off November. Braces was quite the experience. I ate pretty much everything the dentist said you shouldn't, but all my braces stayed intact. And my teeth stayed about the same color as it was the entire time.