Do I have to say the pledge?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by htep.fan, Oct 15, 2004.

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

Well, as most of you have noticed it, I am not American, but I live here in America. I am not happy living here (I didn't even wanted to come here), and you also must have noticed that sometimes I am really pissed off or depressed, it's just some side-effects, I guess. I try to be happy, though.
    Well, my point is, do I have to say"The Pledge Of Allegiance" in school? I usually don't say it, and don't even stand up; main reasons are that I'm not American, don't wanna be one, don't wanna set my life here, I still miss everything, etc., but I think that doesn't mean I disrespect you or something, if I said it, i think I would be lying.
    My first period was Physical Fitness during this quarter, and they didn't tell me nothing, but P.F. changes to Health class and viceversa (idk why) after first quarter. So I don't know what to do.

Please help. And correct me if I just talked s###.

Kaleb.09

Kaleb.09 Well-Known Member

thats what I would like to wonder as well, I mean what has more meaning the ''Pledge'' or the national Anthem I mean it just seems that the pledge has more meaning than the national anthem. Ive had a sort of the same problems over here in the uk recently I was at the britbowl final (american football) and we where told to stand up and sing God save the queen , so I remainded seated , and I had alot of ppl stairing at me so I reluctantly got up and began to sing (although I didnt know the words) just to keep those ppl happy , i see im from South Africa and not from the uk.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

No. You don't.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Naw, you don't have to say it. And if they give you trouble don't take any #### from them, because I am 99% sure that you don't have to say it. You can thank the Athiests for that, since they made a big stink about the "under God" part.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Nope, you don't have to say it and if the school tries to get you in trouble, you can take their ass to court.

Personally, I refuse to say the pledge because of the words "under god"

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

No you don't have to say it. Someone in my homeroom doesn't say it or even get up and the teacher doesn't say anything to them. I don't really mean anything when I say the pledge, I just say it. I'm sorry that you aren't happy here. I hope things get better. :)

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, you have just lift a load of my shoulders ^_^ . One time we did it in ESOL class (second period) and the teacher (Puerto Rican) made us stand up and say it. The class is full of Hispanics, so I couldn't get why did she do that.
    By the way, twicethetrouble, Catholics tolerate people with other religions or no religion at all, so don't be mad at me for that "What's your religion" thread. I just explained my views, and I hold no hard feelings against you or any athiest. Sorry if I offended you.

goso88

goso88 Well-Known Member

DO you have to stand up during the pledge? Some teachers make students stand up.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

You cannot get into any sort of trouble for refusing to say the pledge, unless of course it's when you take the citizenship test. I think it's required then.

Personally, I have no problem with the Pledge of Allegiance. I just leave out the words "under God."

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

you dont have to say the pledge and in most counties you dont have to stand. im pretty sure its different for some, but i know in clark county (in las vegas) you dont have to stand. some of my previous teachers told me to in a attempted "polite" way but its my right not to. my 8th grade health teacher actually called the principal to come in and talk to the kids individually who didnt stand. it was stupid. if you want, you can go look up and print out information about your school district's laws about the pledge if any teacher gives you a hard time.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Legally, you are allowed to sit down. Hell, if you want to moon the flag while holding your middle finger up at it, legally, you can. Now of course there's the whole issue of indecent exposure though ;)

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

Legally, you are allowed to sit down. Hell, if you want to moon the flag while holding your middle finger up at it, legally, you can. Now of course there's the whole issue of indecent exposure though ;) [/b][/quote]
    haha and im pretty sure youd get RPCed if not suspended for that :lol:

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

None taken. I was just pointing out that it was mostly the Athiests who made sure that people didn't have to say the pledge or stand.

Hana

Hana i are scientists LPA Super Member

They forced me to sing US anthem when I was on an american summer camp :blink: And they were surprised I said NO. Why the hell do Americans think everybody loves them.

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

If you think saying the pledge sucks , our state now officially has a moment of silence time every day after we say the pledge.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Couldn't Have said it better. I never sing any patriotic songs. Call me a terrorist or anarchits all you want. In my opinon I don't really like this country.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I used to recite "The Pledge Of Allegiance" when I was in elementary school, only because I didn't think anything of it and I didn't know any better. I am patriotic, but I'm not going to recite it anymore simply because of the phrase "under God." The nation was founded with a distinct vision of the separation of church and state, and they destroy it right there. Too hypocritical, if you ask me.

Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

i dont think the pledge should matter. i am 100% american aqnd i never say the pledge(or at least i didnt while i was in my childhood years, im now in college and it doesnt matter). i think it should be the individual's choice.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I agree with that because God dosnot exsit. If God created people then who the hell created God.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

I agree with that because God dosnot exsit. If God created people then who the hell created God. [/b][/quote]
    :rolleyes: That's your opinion, I wouldn't go around proclaiming it as fact.

According to Christianity, God was not created, God was infinite. And as I've said before, whether you believe in God or not, you MUST concede to the logic that for anything in this universe to exist, something must be infinite. Christians simply believe this infinite force is God.