Meteora out of 10

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Luke, Oct 10, 2004.

?

What would you give meteora out of 10 (1 worse-10 highest)

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

100.0%
  6. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

9. It is really good, what got me into Linkin Park, but its lyrics screw it. And BTH (the best lyrics of Meteora) should have been harder, it doesn't fit.

Of course, HT, and HTEP just slightly, are better.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It didn't win over any fans. It lost them fans. 'Meteora' has sold half of what 'Hybrid Theory' sold, and worldwide, 'Meteora' has sold less too. And this is in the same time period. You'd think that with the huge fanbase that Linkin Park built with 'Hybrid Theory', they'd sell even more albums. Not even mainstream-driven singles from 'Meteora' could match "In The End", a song written by a band who had no idea what success meant and weren't planning to sell millions over the song.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

These are our opinions. I have no idea why you had to come in here ripping on everyone because our opinions differ from yours.

We degrade the album because it does suck and it is not up to Linkin Park's standards in the slightest. They couldn't match Hybrid Theory because they tried to make another carbon copy of Hybrid Theory. The lyrics are absolute shit and a majority of the songs are about the same exact thing. They didn't use the words "pain" or "ignored" once on Hybrid Theory, yet they used them in almost every song on Meteora. The music is not as creative, either. Some songs may be heavier or darker but the creativity behind the music was absolutely gone. The album sold half of what Hybrid Theory did both domestically and internationally. They lost fans because the album turned out to be nothing but a rehash of Hybrid Theory. The only original songs on Meteora were "Breaking The Habit" and "From The Inside." All of the rest could've been compared to other songs on "Hybrid Theory." It's pretty bad when something like that can be said about an album from a band of such high calibur as Linkin Park.

So before you jump on people for not agreeing with you, take into consideration all of the things that made it one of the worst albums of 2003.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

i would have said that as the one of the main plus's on this cd.....

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

8/10
    1 reason - Faint

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

Good reason, DJHahn. Great sig.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

I'm the only one who loves it as much as HT, sometimes moreso. Hybrid Theory was a great album, but the older songs were just too raw and didn't match up as well with the glossy production in tracks like Papercut and Crawling. In my opinion:

Hybrid Theory's less than pure brilliant tracks are A Place For My Head and Forgotten, ironically right next to each other.

Meteora'a less than pure brilliant tracks are Figure.09 and Nobody's Listening.

In comparison, Meteora's tracks are much more diverse and interesting than Hybrid Theory's, however HT got me into Linkin Park so it ends up being a tie for me.

Mark

"A Place For My Head" and "Forgotten" have the best lyrics on the album! "APFMH" has amazing poetry, especially in the first verse.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

"A Place For My Head" and "Forgotten" have the best lyrics on the album! "APFMH" has amazing poetry, especially in the first verse. [/b][/quote]
    I agree, the lyrics are great as we've seen the earlier versions of the song progress, yet, the music is a bit too raw for me. Also, I don't think they're considered top songs by the band, since they haven't been played on stage in awhile.

Papercut is a much much greater opener than Don't Stay, yet, Numb seems more powerful and a strong closer than Pushing Me Away. At this point, I think the band still has some more evolving to do, and if they can really try some less formulaic songs, and stay away from rap songs, the outcome could be stellar.

John.

John. i am corruption LPA Super Member

i would have said that as the one of the main plus's on this cd..... [/b][/quote]
    Same. :wth:

MariosLP

MariosLP Super Member

I think 8 is good
    For HT i put 10

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

:wth: They played "A Place For My Head" on Projekt Revolution.

Mark

It's also their best and most energetic live song. :lol:

Papercut is a much much greater opener than Don't Stay, yet, Numb seems more powerful and a strong closer than Pushing Me Away. At this point, I think the band still has some more evolving to do, and if they can really try some less formulaic songs, and stay away from rap songs, the outcome could be stellar.
    [/quote]

Agreed. Except I like PMA more than Numb as an album closer.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I gave it a 4 but now that I think about it, I should have rated it lower.

A few reasons why I rated it a 4 (or lower): Cliched Lyrics that are not even close to being as good as Hybrid Theory. Everything is straight forward and VERY universal, its almost as if the band wasn't writing music that's true to themselves.

The instrumentation (with the exception of one or two songs) is extremely simple with not a lot of experimentation, its just the typical rap-rock formula that they use in every song they make.

One reason I didn't give it a 1 or a 0 is because I like Nobody's Listening and Session. Other than that, I find the whole CD to be terribly written and composed. I could find a ton of other CDs released in 2003 that were 10 times better than Meteora (IMO).

Madi

Madi Well-Known Member

8/10. I really enjoy the album but I was a little disappointed when I brought it because of the standard I had set for them after Hybrid Theory and the diversety of the singles i heard. I suposse I expected the emotions to differ a bit and to be more impressed, I kind of get the same feeling listening to lots of tracks. I disagree with it being a copy of HP though, lets just hope they improve on the next album and i can give it a 10.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

Yeah, that was my view too, when i bought meteora.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Looking back on a review that I had typed for epinions.com I can see how I was too caught up in the hype to give an honest review. Like many others at first, I thought this album was extraordinary and a strong contender to Hybrid Theory, until the initial shock wore off and I saw this album for what it really was: A half-hearted attempt to rehash what made them popular the first time around.

Yesterday I turned on Hybrid Theory for what could have been the first time in months, and was shocked at how their debut sounds more complex than their followup. Despite the inexperience the band had when they were younger, there was more work put into one song in Hybrid Theory than there ever was on all of Meteora. Hybrid Theory was the album where you always heard something new with each listen, such as a guitar part or quieted synth line. Unfortunately, with Meteora everything goes by a formula, and while it might be good for some bands, it helped to make Meteora sound basic and uninspired when stacked up to their previous work.

With the exception of a few standout songs such as "Breaking The Habit", "From The Inside", "Easier To Run", and "Numb" I feel the whole album could have been much better. I would've included "Faint" in there because of the pure addictiveness of it but thinking it over, it's far from being a song that shows Linkin Park's true talent.

Lyrically, even "Breaking The Habit" which was supposed to be 6 years in the making was a letdown. Even though the song means so much to Mike and he didn't want it to sound corny, it ended up coming out that way anyways. The lyrics are partially cliche ("clutching my cure, I tightly lock the door") and while it is certainly my favorite song by the band that I enjoy a lot, I feel it could've done more to live up to the hype. Everything from the song to the video was overhyped and I think it's about time LP stops being a band that lives on hype and instead actually delivers.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Linkin Park, otherwise I wouldn't have founded this site with Omar, but I do believe they need to stop giving in to Warner's demands and start being their own creative force. Besides, LP has thier own label and Warner just distributes. Maybe it's about time Machine Shop breaks away from Warner and LP becomes an independent band. After all, it seems like its going to work for KoRn.

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

I agree.I have given it a nine but when i listened to HT yesterday, meteora felt like ####.I think the main problem LP has is don gilmore

sack him and they will be the greatest

alex_prime

alex_prime New Member

its not bad but not the greatest

you gotta remember the first album you have your whole life to make and the second only a year or so...its not going to better or as good

they are lyrically cliche...ht's lyrics are clearly better...you get whatever you want out of them because they are not specific like forgotten and papercut. Meteora's lyrics are general to the point of cliche like nobody's listening where its like a bombardment of pain pain pain stress stress...i get the point...HT is more poetic

live, HT is performed better because meteora isnt in chester's voice range

breaking the habit is better live because of the emotion behind it...the piano was definitly needed in the beginning to set the tone

i listen to HT more and I listen to all the songs...rarely i listen to "Hit the Floor" "Easier to Run" or "Nobody's Listening"

I listened to the EP yesterday and it seemed to make meteora terrible

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

8. Could have been better.