Hybrid Theory: 4 Years Later

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

On this date in 2000, Linkin Park's astonishing debut album 'Hybrid Theory' was released. The album seamlessly blended hip-hop, rock, and electronica like no other band had ever done before. Frontmen Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda threw out a two-pronged attack of melodies, screams, and raps interlaced with the crunching guitars of Brad Delson, psychadelic scratches of turntablist Joseph Hahn, and rapid drumming of Rob Bourdon. Dave "Phoenix" Farrell, who was a previous member and long-time friend of the band , rejoined the group on tour to help re-create Brad Delson's bass riffs. Mixed in with the great musicianship was relatable and emotional lyrics which made the album a complete, flawless success.

With the aid of their first single, "One Step Closer"; a massive teen anthem hit, the album made a left-field appearance at #16 on the Billboard albums charts in it's first week. The single was so huge that it took just four weeks for the album to hit gold, signifying half-a-million units sold. Just over five weeks later, 'Hybrid Theory' was certified platinum by the RIAA, meaning that one million copies of the album had been sold. Everyone in Linkin Park was shocked by the unexpected success of 'Hybrid Theory', for they had endured months upon months of rejection by record labels while searching for a recording contract. The band had gone from rags to riches, an almost overnight success.

Linkin Park then released "Crawling" in May of 2001 and the single helped propel the album to double platinum status by June 8th. Two and half months later on August 24th, 'Hybrid Theory' hit triple-platinum, then quadruple-platinum two months afterwards on the album's one-year anniversary of release. "Papercut" was released in June to European and Asian markets and greatly helped 'Hybrid Theory's worldwide album sales.

"In The End" was released in November 2001 and immediately became an unbeatable force on radio airwaves. Many fans consider "In The End" to be Linkin Park's most successful single to date. Under "In The End"s assault on radio airwaves, 'Hybrid Theory' went five-times platinum on December 6th, six-times platinum on January 8th, 2002, seven-times platinum three weeks later on January 31st, and eight-times platinum on April 30th. The single went on to become the third highest played song on US radio in 2002 with nearly 400,000 spins on the airwaves. So far, eight million copies of 'Hybrid Theory' have been sold in the US.

To this date, an estimated fifteen million copies of 'Hybrid Theory' have been sold worldwide. The album still stays strong on the Billboard Pop Catalog charts, recently reaching it's two hundred and eighth week on the charts, it's four year anniversary. We'd like to congratulate Linkin Park on such a successful album, even four years after it's release.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

HAPPY ANNERVERSARY LINKIN PARK AND HYBRID THEORY!!!

I'm actualy gonna celebrate this :shifty: B) :lol:

CONGRATS! Let's hope LP keeps going strong. :)

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

Wow. I don't believe it's been out that long.
    I can still honestly remember the first time I saw 'Papercut' on TV, and it doesn't seem that long ago.
    The memories.

Pinkin Lark

Pinkin Lark Prince of Persia.

wow....4 years ago! that seemed not so long ago! i remember seeing one step closer, then hearing crawling and falling in love with this band. 15 times platinum is not a joke. this album deserved it. congrats to linkin park and hybrid theory! (w00t)

Mr. Benzedrine

Mr. Benzedrine Rock the 40 Oz

^_^

savetomorrow

savetomorrow Well-Known Member

Hybrid Theory is one of the best albums I've ever heard and will remain that for years and years. Let's hope they're as creative on their next album as they were on Hybrid Theory.

john_vla

john_vla Member

The album is great, congratulations to Linkin Park! B)

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Hybrid Theory is the best cd I own. ^_^

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I forgot about the anniversary. I would have bought a cake with the soldier on it. :(

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

Hybrid Theory is the best album from the best band I've ever heard in my entire life...I still can remember the first time I listened to Runaway in English class in 2001...how I always saw LP vids in MTV because I thought it was embarrasing to listen to music in English...and how I bought it last November...and how it got me listening to the whole CD everyday because I was leaving...especially Crawling...and buying Meteora...and coming here and burning the EP, Reanimation, and LIT (I wish I hadn't now)...and made me looking endlessly for all their songs and websites, and I myself ended doing a website...how it got me into these forums...how it made me get into music....etc., etc., etc....

It changed my life. I don't know if for the better or for the worse, it just changed it.

Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

Wow! 4 Years! Thats Amazing. Congrats! I hope the next album is 4 times as successful as HT!

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Wow.

Congratulations Linkin Park! :)

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

That'd be badass. I'm doing that next year. :lol:

Twizted

Twizted Guest

Congrats to Linkin Park! :)

erasethepain

erasethepain Well-Known Member

4 years ago I was listenning to Papercut naked in my room.

PapercutBoy

PapercutBoy Active Member

Congratulations Linkin Park !!!!! :D
    Thanks for that great album.

weenie

weenie Well-Known Member

congrats to Linkin Park. let's crack open a six-pack and watch hybrid theory music videos. seriously, congrats linkin park. u guys earned it

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Well, i stuck on the album and listened to it for old times sake.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Congratulations Linkin Park.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.