something to read for guitarists out there

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by x__x, Oct 30, 2004.

x__x

x__x Well-Known Member

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

Hey man we know that Bad isn't a great guitarist like some other Nu-Metal guitarists like Limp Bizkit's Wes Borland or Jerry Horton of Papa Roach but you need not openly insult him on his fan site and that too by creating a now topic.

EDIT- However I do agree with that article.I feel that a typical LP song starts with one powerchord and that continues throught the song.I really feel that Brad has to improve on his skills and he has to show whether his fingers can bleed.Linkin Park's guitars are the worst right now in the world of Roch music.I mean they have three guitarists-Brad,Mike and Chester and yet they struggle a lot when it comes to guitars.I think people telling that Brad is a great guitarist have just a two word definition of music - Linkin Park

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

What's wrong with Brad's playing? Probably not a good idea to post such things on a Linkin Park Fansite

savetomorrow

savetomorrow Well-Known Member

Brad is a great guitar player, just because he's not ripping four to five minute solos doesn't mean he isn't a great guitarist. His guitars fit well with the music that the band makes.

Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

Well said.

I'm already sick of people saying that Brad is a bad guitarist.

x__x

x__x Well-Known Member

im not saying hes a bad guitarist... the guy who wrote that long comment did... i think brad actually is not a bad guitarist after reading the columns he wrote for guitar world... although its like introductory lessons but it reflects his roots and shows that he knows his stuff...

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

The guy who wrote that is my hero. Everything that he said about Brad is true. He gets way too much credit for being such a great guitarist when everything that he plays is so uninspired. Out of all of the bands that I listen to, he has to be one of the worst guitar players.

Now, I'm going to wait for someone to ask me why Linkin Park is my favorite band if I hate the guitars. I don't hate the guitars; I just feel that they could be so much better than what they are. Brad has a lot of potential and he never uses any of it. He needs to start playing like he knows what he's doing instead of playing powerchords all the time.

LPstreetsoldiergurl14

LPstreetsoldiergurl14 Well-Known Member

Chester Bennington's (the singer) new custom acoustic/electric. Ex-CUSE me? There was NEVER ANY word that he even plucked a single string of a guitar in his LIFE...and suddenly this singer has a CUSTOM MODEL!?

uh yea if they watched the making of meteora dvd they show chester play a little guitar when they're in mikes studio....

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

I do agree that Brad gets more credit than he deserves, but the important thing is that his chords fit perfectly with LP's style. The focus isn't on guitars, its on Chester and Mike, with the drumming, DJing, and guitaring providing an energetic background tune. So of course Brad's not gonna pull off guitar solos and unbelievable riffs because that's not what makes LP songs great. If you argue against that, just think of your favorite Linkin Park songs. They work more than fine without driving guitar solos.

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

Yea i agree , its not just brad playing out there , its Linkin Park. They're a band , so they all have to make their sounds blend in with eachother..

|METEORA| MAN

|METEORA| MAN Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Linkin Park, just about the most commercialized band in the world of numetal in existance, has sold themselves--along with any (at least potential) talent--yet again. PLEASE...give me a break....
    Before Meteora they were much more heavy then the are now (as we all know) and now you can see LP songs in every pop chart...they've gotten soft and poppy, and that makes me less proud of them.

About the main idea of this topic, I don't think Brad is a bad guitarist at all, but he's a bit average...Him being on the cover of GUITAR WORLD doesn't mean he claims to be a top guitarist, but means he wants to share his knowledge with other guitarists-to-be, and therefore this attack on Brad from the writer is misjudged and unnecessary.

FreeYourMind

FreeYourMind Well-Known Member

exactly

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Chester Bennington plays the guitar for Its Going Down live ;)

sickcycle

sickcycle Well-Known Member

Chester Bennington plays the guitar for Its Going Down live ;) [/b][/quote]
    Yep, this guy was wrong to get on Chester's case for having a guitar, he plays live, I saw him at PR. Brad isn’t the best guitarist by along shot, but he isn’t bad either, I do agree with others when they say, he needs better riffs, yes this style band he is in does not require him to pull off solos and such, since its merely a back up instrument, and blends with many others, but even still not be the driving force behind the music, he needs to up it a bit for the next album, get a little more creative.

And when this guy said Limp Bizkit [sp?] and Linkin Parks name sounds the same, man wtf?

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

They by no means sound the same and Wes Borland is a way better guitarist than Brad.The two can't be compared

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I agree with Will. It's not so much the fact that Brad isn't a good guitarist, he just has never showed in any way that he is. I mean, just an example, look at Papercut. When the "The sun goes down" line starts, Brad does his typical 3 powerchord progression over and over until the end of the song, basic rhythm guitar stuff, woohoo. He could have easily gone back and added a lead part over the top of that. Nothing incredibly fancy, but just SOMETHING. But no, he just stayed inside his little box. It's a complete lie that solos can't fit with Linkin Park's music, look at Joe, he gets scratch solos all the time. It doesn't even have to be a solo, you can throw in lead parts over the top of vocals, I mean AFI does it all the time. Brad doesn't even need to do anything fantastic, just some variety outside of the one finger powerchords, octaves, and harmonics he always plays. Even a song like Forgotten, the verse line in that is actually unique, he's playing some cool picking patterns there. If he'd just mix it up a little more, I'd be happy. There's so many places he could add more flavor to songs:

Papercut ending
    Somewhere I Belong ending
    Points of Authority (the most boring guitar song LP has besides...)
    Breaking the Habit (from the "paint it on the walls" part on, he could do so much more with that song than 3 stupid notes)
    Crawling ending, he could mix up those octaves at the very least.

Brad has so many chances to break out yet he chooses not to. WHether its because he doesn't have the skills or the balls to do it, I dunno, but it doesn't really matter, if the chance is there, he should take it.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Yea some great guitarists there, listen to the samples and you may be able to see why they are so much better (although I don't like Yngwie much).

They are creative. I mean, sure John Petrucci and Dave Mustaine can solo there asses off and thats one of their trademarks.....and of course you don't need to play with a lot of technique to be a good guitar player, but Brad has no creativity to his playing. He switches from powerchords and mixes a bit of harmonics every once and a while.

Adam Jones from Tool almost never solos, but he has his own style through his crunchy riffs, use of effects/wah, and his minimalist playing...but its creative stuff!

And why NOT solos? Their songs are formulaic enough now as it is! :lol:

Stik

Stik Well-Known Member

A lot of people nowadays believe that the more difficult the song is to play, the better the song. Wrong. What really matters is how the song mixes together and the overall sound of the song. I mean, listen to other songs like "Smoke On the Water". There was plenty of repitition in that song, but it still was a great song. Singling out a certain element in a band is never a good thing. Considering a guitar alone, without anything else, could rarely make it without it getting boring. Also, all of LP's songs aren't simple. Has anyone tried playing "A Place For My Head" lately?

x__x

x__x Well-Known Member

lp's guitar tracks are soo simple that they could give a person who never picked up a guitar and teach him/her to play faint and pull him/her up to the stage and play faint for brad...

i wouldnt mind seeing more vairiations on the guitar on the new album...

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Uhm, I don't play guitar and I can still play "A Place For My Head". It's not that hard. It's not that he needs to make it "harder". It's just that the formula is getting stale. Pick a melody, maybe with harmonics, then powerchord the chorus and bridge. It's so old. Look at Slipknot. They were called a typical "nu-metal" type band. They evolved. They don't rip solos all the time but no can just pick up a guitar and play most of their songs. Brad fits in with the band but he doesn't elevate the band. Same with the rest of the members. They fit together but don't elevate the creativity of the band. He can think of more than just "Ok... 4/4 beat. 8 bar chorus. Uhm...... GOT IT! Four power chords!"