Moral Exams

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Atsuzen, Nov 1, 2004.

Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

I don't know if you guys have it too, but I certainly had it since I entered primary school. And, trust me, it stinks. But are moral exams really necessary? I mean, written ones, not practical. So let's say you score bad in the test -- does it mean you're immoral?

They give you a situation and you are required to write down how you'd react to it. Of course, you'd have to give a positive answer to get it right, atleast. You could crap all sorts of highly moral acts, but, in actual fact, would you have done it?

I also have 36 moral values in my school syllabus to remember. And if I can't remember them all, and their exact definitions, it's sure that I'll fail my exam. Why? Not because I don't understand. It's all because everything is set, and even if I get one word wrong (not wrong, but some other word that does not match the one in the definition even though it means the same thing ...) the whole answer would be marked wrong.

How can they grade us based on our moral exam results? I mean, they should grade our behaviour by observation, not the goodie-goodie version of ourselves we come up with in the paper. In any case it shouldn't even be called an exam, and only brought up only during the examination period -- it should be a whole-year observation, which is done by the teachers whether we know it or not. That would be more appropriate.

What would you answer to this question? (it came out in my exam)

What type of pollution causes water to turn orange and red?

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Whats a moral exam, and what the heck is a syllabus?

Leeuwnie

Leeuwnie Well-Known Member

yeah... I don't understand either :unsure:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Sounds pretty pointless to me.

As for the question, I'm guessing... bad pollution? :unsure:

peripeteia

peripeteia Ambient

plc4theglue: are u a singaporean? because singsapore is like the only country that actually has a moral exam..@@

the last time i took a moral exam was...last year? hell, it was the vice principal who set it..but i wrote crap inside, but questions that i did not know how to answer, i simply wrote ' because God made it that way.'

i'm told in school that if you actually fail you moral education, you can actually repeat...0_o outrageous, i know..

oh and relating to your question, i think its acidic content that turns the water orangey-red...acidic content MIGHT be stuff like erm...hydrochloric acid?

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Hah, what a crock. Who the hell are they to judge you on "morailty."

Futuristic

Futuristic Member

Our school has something similar to moral exams. They decided to try them out on our grade, but we didn't like that, so we protested. Everyone refused to take the exam, and we all failed. The school had an assembly and called us "immoral and childish". But I don't think that they are fair, the school should judge you on your behavior, and not what you write down on a meaningless piece of paper. :angry:

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

No moral exams here...

As for that question, there are a lot of things that can turn water orange or red...the one that springs to mind is tannic acid. What the f*** was a question like THAT doing on a moral exam?

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

I'd never heard of moral exams until now, but it sounds rediculous. Morals are a personal thing that shouldn't be imposed on you by others (except perhaps your parents, especially when you're young).

Also, most us know what society considers "good morals" making it easy to fake.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

You guys don't know what a syllabus is? My little high school in Omaha, NE uses them. Basically it's just a list of what you're going to do. We refer to them if we miss a day so we have no excuse for not having the work done. It gives the assignments and due dates, projects, etc.

A moral exam?? I'd so fail that.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

We get about 10 million syllabi on our first day of school but I have no clue what you're talking about with the moral exams.

Atsuzen

@peripeteia -- Nope, I'm Malaysian. Unfortunately enough they have it here too ... :(

@Dean -- Yes, it is ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS. Even though I get it right most of the time (heck, who wouldn't?), I'm just so sick of it already. They're such straightforward questions even my baby cousin could answer it, hands down.

The questions they ask in the moral exam has NOTHING to do with moral issues/values/whatever/blah. For instance : that ridiculous pollution question. And there was another question which asked what acts as a 'child controller', whatever it means. Who remembers when Women's Day is?

I have a moral syllabus, and a moral textbook. It's unsurprisingly thick, and you'd have to read the whole damn thing (most of the stuff not having much relevence to morality) for the exam. It totally messes me up, because I have about nine other main subjects to study, too. And what happens? I get a C. Why? Last minute studying ... (but it's my fault, too, anyways ... :p )

Moral exams here are useless. We sit for it for atleast 8 or 9 years (from Year 1 till Year 9 >.<) ... but what do you see in the newspaper everyday? Snatch thefts, rape cases, murder ... you name it. Everything against what you learn in moral studies. Bleh.

I seriously hate this exam. :angry:

peripeteia

peripeteia Ambient

i agree with the fact that Moral Exams are really useless. there are some things in life that cannot be learnt off from books, like morals etc..

whenever we have moral education classes, we will usually ended up talking with our teacher about other subjects like working life/army life/ghost stories..=X

Atsuzen

My substitute moral teacher was lotsa fun, but we only had him for about two months or so. There were times where he'd go around being a kid, fooling around ... even trying to gossip along with us, :p. Our moral classes aren't actually moral classes, and it saves us from dying out of boredom.

Unforgiver

Unforgiver jogo bonito.

same.

---------------------
    twicethetrouble: "Morals are a personal thing that shouldn't be imposed on you by others (except perhaps your parents, especially when you're young)."

I agree.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

That's stupid. You either have morals or you don't. All you need is one question.