Kerrang!'s 'Collision Course' Review

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Kerrang! Magazine, who are very usually vicious with their reviews on Linkin Park material, published this surprisingly positive review in their latest issue of the magazine:

"The first thing you hear on this 25-minute album is Chester Bennington's voice, distinctly Caucasian, slightly whiny. "Where's my Frappucino?" he asks, all nasal demand. "I ordered a f*cking Frappucino." How cool, you think, that what is essentially a hip-hop album with extra guitars should begin with a demand not for b*tches or bling, but for a cup of coffee. What a playa.

Strange, then, that the only thing wrong with 'Collision Course', as an album, is its title, which doesn't fit becuase this six-song set - half a dozen Linkin Park numbers and a smattering of Jay-Z tracks married together - sounds both fluid and natural, with the sounds merging and complementing each other perfectly. That this is so shouldn't really be a surprise. After all, Linkin Park's 'Hybrid Theory' wasn't simply the title of an album, but rather a modus operandi, a way of making music that defied categorisation, except, perhaps, as being 'modern'. For those who concentrated only on the band's corporate leanings and lack of individual personality missed a trick here, because Linkin Park, in what they aim to do, are usally far ahead of the game.

There are some odd moments. Hearing the lyric "99 problems but a b*tch ain't one" on an album shared by a band whose lyrical stance is usually so defiantly unspecific seems like an illicit pleasure. There's also an accompanying documentary DVD, which is both boring and a little embarrassing, with the group trying just a touch too hard to ingratiate themselves with their new collaborator.

But it's the music that strikes hard, with a sense of real expertise and panache running throughout. Mike Shinoda, who it seems put in a lot of the groundwork here, has a real knack for this, turning something that might have been simply awful that sounds both fresh and oddly familiar. Songs (or parts of songs) such as "Papercut"' and "Numb" are given fresh legs, and a band who only last year were being measured for their nu-metal coffin size have shown, again, that for them such boundaries only exist to be broken.
    "

The album was awarded 4/5 "K"s, and the article was written by Ian Winwood.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Good review, indeed.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I agree about the name, sorta.

Like I told Derek, LP is half rap (or whatever the fuck percent people come up with), so meeting another rapper for this sort of project isn't a 'Collison Course'.

Buuuut, LP Vs. Hilary Duff?! ULTIMATE MEGA COLLISION COURSE.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

:lol:. That's like a "Let's hope the Earth and a huge asteroid are on a collision course so we all die before hearing that" thing.

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

Real good review.

OrlandoJNF

OrlandoJNF Banned

kerrang are pricks.

RX8LP

RX8LP Well-Known Member

maybe kerrang likes jay-Z ;)

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I agree, but i probably wouldn't have put it like that. :lol:

peripeteia

peripeteia Ambient

no way!! :wacko:

anyway...good review. it made my day.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

hit the nail on the head there, even though they said the album was good the slatered the dvd - typical kerrang but meh! they're wrong!

Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

Thats the first good reveiw Kerrang! have given Linkin Park in a while! I was so happy to see that they had 4 K's! Linkin Park were also placed at number one in the "alternative metal" category in the "songs you must own" feature! :D

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

yeah its been a long time since their last positive review

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Well, all of their albums since Meteora (I haven't read the previous ones) have been given at least 3 out of 5. In fact, Kerrang! are probably the only rock magazine in the UK who don't have people calling LP 'sellouts' or 'N*Sync with guitars' every issue.

Ameen

Ameen Member

Nice review, don't usually read Kerrang but i might pick it up for this review - thanks for posting ;)

weenie

weenie Well-Known Member

not bad. haha. 4 out of 5 K's. not bad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.