Might happen again?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by sickcycle, Nov 6, 2004.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

I think Don Gilmore is a great producer, whatever feelings you may have about Meteora should not be placed on him, it's not his job to make music, it's his job to put the pieces together and record it.

Regardless, Andy Wallace MUST mix the new album.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Well, he did make the band re-write lyrics and riffs for many of the songs, therefore watering them down. He waters down the music into a mainstream feel, then puts the pieces together and records it. This is shown in the 'Making of Meteora' DVD.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

Well, for the lyrics, yes I saw portions where he pointed out things to fix, but I still feel that Linkin Park was in control of the music they wanted to make. Of course other forces are going to direct what they want to hear, but the artist is responsible for what comes out, good or bad. This is just my opinion, I could be completly wrong.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Regardless of other artists' testimonies, and as much as I'd like to believe you, I don't think the outcome of Meteora was in the hands of Mr. Gilmore. They're just changing as they continue on in the music business -- they're getting more creative. As for the explanation for different sounds on off-record tracks, I think that's the point -- they don't want it to sound like typical album material -- they want to shock us to show us that there's more to them than the albums. [/b][/quote]
    So, they sit there and think things like "hey, lets write commercial lyrics for our albums and then collaborate with other artists and show our true talent!"

That made no sense to me. They obviously have the talent, but lack to use it in their own music. (Save for some instrumentation and everything Pre-Meteora)

OrlandoJNF

OrlandoJNF Banned

agreed.

mike shouldnt produce the album either. its not his job. he does pre production, and you need someone external telling you what the song needs and doesnt need. if mike produced it, itd be Hybrid Theory EP + reanimation. Don gilmore is a one track minded donkey who doesnt need to ruin any more LP albums.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Well unfortunately the only shock given by Meteora was the shock of disappointment to many. Whether you believe it or not, Gilmore is very controlling and they did not like having to rewrite the songs. Seeing some small demo pieces in the Making of Meteora dvd shows that there was better material originally written, but never used.

Vampire

Vampire Banned

Well unfortunately the only shock given by Meteora was the shock of disappointment to many. [/b][/quote]
    Right. This is your opinion -- what you think. Don't mix it up with fact. Artists will go through several pieces of writing then narrowing it down to the final stuff and making it album-worthy. Who says Gilmore made them re-write shit or told them they couldn't put certain material on the album? Where do you have proof that Gilmore is controlling? And don't say, "where's the proof that he isn't?" because that would be proving my point. We don't know -- we can assume, but we can't make that fact. Just because Korn had problems doesn't mean LP did. Did you ever think that possibly Mike, Chester, other band members just wrote tons of shit and even though we saw some of it on the DVD, they themselves through it out?

BuriedxTragedy:
    No, that came out all wrong. Lemme try again. I think LP is more of a band where if they're featured with an artist, they'll blend with them -- they have to -- it's not like the artist will go, "can you be on my album?" and LP goes, "sure, now we're gonna do it our way with our sound," no. It's the artist (including his/her style) featuring Linkin Park. LP have to blend with them so that they're keeping up with the artist. It's hard to explain. BuriedXTragey, lemme know if I made any sense this time around. :p

Fullmoon_91

Fullmoon_91 Member

Also ,i think Meteora was a failure .But i dont think that 's Mike and Don 's fault .May be it 's just because "Numb " "In The End""From The Inside" were so impressive !(That 's true ,i think)

Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

You think Meteora was a failure because "Numb "In the End and "From the Inside" were impressive? :huh:

adelleda

adelleda Well-Known Member

You think Meteora was a failure because "Numb "In the End and "From the Inside" were impressive? :huh: [/b][/quote]
    Bad english I think

Mark

Right. This is your opinion -- what you think. Don't mix it up with fact. Artists will go through several pieces of writing then narrowing it down to the final stuff and making it album-worthy. Who says Gilmore made them re-write shit or told them they couldn't put certain material on the album? Where do you have proof that Gilmore is controlling? And don't say, "where's the proof that he isn't?" because that would be proving my point. We don't know -- we can assume, but we can't make that fact. Just because Korn had problems doesn't mean LP did. Did you ever think that possibly Mike, Chester, other band members just wrote tons of shit and even though we saw some of it on the DVD, they themselves through it out?

BuriedxTragedy:
    No, that came out all wrong. Lemme try again. I think LP is more of a band where if they're featured with an artist, they'll blend with them -- they have to -- it's not like the artist will go, "can you be on my album?" and LP goes, "sure, now we're gonna do it our way with our sound," no. It's the artist (including his/her style) featuring Linkin Park. LP have to blend with them so that they're keeping up with the artist. It's hard to explain. BuriedXTragey, lemme know if I made any sense this time around. :p [/b][/quote]
    Well there is the part of the DVD that you overlooked where it's somewhat like this;

*Chester doing a face of despair*
    Mike: Hahaha. Tell me about today, Chester?
    Chester: Well, today, kids, we re-wrote a song for the 97th time. That guy? *camera pans to Don Gilmore* It's his fault.

"Somewhere I Belong"'s chorus was rewritten over 40 times. And that chorus was horrendous. I don't think "I wanna" should be in a Linkin Park song. It sounds too whiney. It's something a boy band would sing in my view. Then there's the instrumentals and snippets of songs we hear in the DVD that sound great that weren't put on the album, while Brad's powerchords ring every couple of seconds in "Numb". I think many of us agree that it was poorly produced.

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

lyrics watered down or not.. last time i checked, LP isnt a rap group. when mike goes and does his side projects like its goin down and rock and roll could never hip hop like this, these are strictly hip hop records.. HTEP is the closest LP is gonna get to a rap album and i dont see them returning to that style.. and didnt the band say they were headed in the creative way of how they did breaking the habit?.. i dont see mike showing his skills on more than one or two tracks on the new album.. i would love to see it happen more often but the reality of it is that theres only been a handful of tracks on HT and Meteora where its a more of a hip hop track.. whether its don gilmores fault or not.. i think there will be a continuing trend of a few tracks where its a pure hip hop track. LP is that blend between the two genres so that combination will exist on every track minus the one or two rap tracks.. the LPU4 disc has got mike on a hip hop track with motion man (if i remember correctly) and we'll see mike on more side projects.. but as far as him showing his full extent of his skills on the new album, i dont see it. id love to, but i just dont.

FreeYourMind

FreeYourMind Well-Known Member

please.. NO WAY! i don't a second version of meteora crap.
    I wished it could be something like HTEP.

Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

Totally agree.

Meteora wasn't bad but compared to HT or HTEP it's crap.
    I'll scream if they make another Meteora...literally!

Vampire

Vampire Banned

You mean like "I wanna runaway..." [Runaway]

or

"I wanna be in another place..." [A Place For My Head]

The second one being an old-school LP track. As for that one part on the DVD, true -- but I still don't like believing he's responsible for re-writing an entire album.

Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

or

The second one being an old-school LP track. As for that one part on the DVD, true -- but I still don't like believing he's responsible for re-writing an entire album. [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

It's funny how people seem to point out something they don't like from Meteora...and it's in HT!

I think the main difference in HT lyrics and Meteora lyrics are that HT talks alot about paranoia but Meteora talks about the results of paranoia...my opinion.

Mark

or

The second one being an old-school LP track. As for that one part on the DVD, true -- but I still don't like believing he's responsible for re-writing an entire album. [/b][/quote]
    I didn't say those lyrics should be in those songs either. I don't like those parts. The fact that they're on 'Hybrid Theory' makes no difference, I still don't like it. In fact, "Runaway" is my least favorite song on the album (not solely for the "I wanna", of course). You're missing my point of view. It's most likely that in those fourty choruses, they easily came up with something more complex, yet were watered down with not-as-good lyrics. Many of us here could easily write a better chorus.

Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

I didn't say those lyrics should be in those songs either. I don't like those parts. The fact that they're on 'Hybrid Theory' makes no difference, I still don't like it. In fact, "Runaway" is my least favorite song on the album (not solely for the "I wanna", of course). You're missing my point of view. It's most likely that in those fourty choruses, they easily came up with something more complex, yet were watered down with not-as-good lyrics. Many of us here could easily write a better chorus. [/b][/quote]
    I acctually like Runaway alot but anyways now I see where you're coming from!

I think you're right lots of people from the LPA could've done a better more complex chorus...but is more complex really better?

Edit:
    This weird idea popped up in my head, Chester said he wrote One Step Closer because of the frustration of writing Runaway...maybe Don kept on telling him to re-write Runaway and it became watered-down.

I take it you like complex songs were you like to think abou everything but they acctually said that "once they signed the contract they had to change a few things and make it less complex."

So Don really did have something to do with their lyrics...

Nevermind just a thought. :huh:

Jamie

Jamie Super Member LPA Super Member

What about Mudrock? I think he'd do LP justice on the next album. Would be a good choice.

sickcycle

sickcycle Well-Known Member

I acctually like Runaway alot but anyways now I see where you're coming from!

I think you're right lots of people from the LPA could've done a better more complex chorus...but is more complex really better?

Edit:
    This weird idea popped up in my head, Chester said he wrote One Step Closer because of the frustration of writing Runaway...maybe Don kept on telling him to re-write Runaway and it became watered-down.

I take it you like complex songs were you like to think abou everything but they acctually said that "once they signed the contract they had to change a few things and make it less complex."

So Don really did have something to do with their lyrics...

Nevermind just a thought. :huh: [/b][/quote]
    So when chaz screams "SHUT UP! WHEN I AM TALKING TO YOU!", he is really talking to Don? lol, i will never look at the song the same