Under God

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Pinkin Lark, Dec 2, 2004.

Vampire

Vampire Banned

Well I now know the "horrible" side to it. Thanks for sharing your stories.

goso88

goso88 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...perhaps if it gets people this fired up, it is an important issue after all. I never actually had to deal with any problems arising from the pledge...so I've never really looked at it is anything that affected my life. But I can see it does affect other people's lives, so its still important. After all, it doesn't have to be everybodys problem or a problem that doesn't affect me to be a problem that needs to be taken care of. If I was to choose, I would choose to have the "under god" taken out.

Sludge Factory

Sludge Factory Well-Known Member

America was founded on the basis and principles of the Bible. Our founding fathers were very religous people (spending hours at church every Sunday) and incorperated that into the formation of the United States. Also, I'd say the vast majority of Americans are religious and have some form of religion which worships God. So I say to the athiests, quit your b****ing and deal with it no one is forcing you to say it anyway. ;)

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

When they say "under god", they're talking about the christian god. I'm sure anyone else of any other religion would find it offensive to be pledging allegiance to the christian god for whom they don't worship. "One nation under god" tramples on all people of varying religions when they're forced to recite it. I'm sure they don't want to be living in a country which denies recognition of other people's religions. As for your comment on no one being forced to recite it, that's a lie. Many people are discriminated against for not reciting that part (i.e: Keaton).

But, with that said, it's kind of a time waster to ask for the words to be removed. Since the majority of all government officials are most liekly christians, it would never pass.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Back then, being athiest or believing in a god other than the christan god was unheard of. Times have changed and they must remove those 2 fucking words from the pledge

Link04

Link04 Ambient

That was then. This is now. As I've been saying, our society is constantly evolving and diversifying to the point where the government should remain impartial to all religions.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

That was then. This is now. As I've been saying, our society is constantly evolving and diversifying to the point where the government should remain impartial to all religions. [/b][/quote]
    1) The Founding Fathers did not write the pledge
    2) "Under God" wasn't added until the 50s

This isn't something I personally feel to strongly about, since you legally don't have to say the pledge in any situation, but were it to come down to a vote (and I was legally old enough to do so :p ) I would vote to take it out.

erasethepain

erasethepain Well-Known Member

If you don't have the respect to let someone pray at school, then I don't think you should have any say. I don't believe in god at all, but I respect others beliefs.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Can someone explain why it's such a big deal?

I honestly don't understand. :wth:

Soulcrasher-X

Soulcrasher-X Well-Known Member

Religion + politic = troubles

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

This has nothing to do with praying in school. As far as I know anyone is welcome to pray in school. The issue is that many athiests feel that our country's Pledge should be secular, the way it was when it was written.

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

i thought there was a rule against doing religious stuff during school hours.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I believe that's only a few schools.

I know in my school, we talk about Jesus sometimes. But then we talk about Evolution too, so yeah.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

The law states that in a public school, the school can't say, "OK everyone, we're going to have a 5 minute break between classes so everyone can pray" and stuff like that, they cant set aside time for praying, they cant hang religious symbols in the school or preach religion, shit like that. But if you want to pray silently before a test or something, you can, but it cant be school supported.

I pray before tests all the time, usually something along the lines of "god dammit if I don't get an A on this test I'm fucking fucked." :lol:

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

See how easily things can be resolved with a few clicks of a mouse button? ;)

adelleda

adelleda Well-Known Member

Whoa, everything's gone! Good job Nate :thumbsup:

I'll say that Under Good should be taken out, for the simple explaination that church and state should be seperate.