Earthquake hits Asia

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Chris, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Leeuwnie

Leeuwnie Well-Known Member

Scary isn't it :mellow:

Did you also watch "Netwerk" a few days ago? There was a documentary on about the mega-tsunami. They said only the USA would be affected by the mega-tsunami. But I guess almost every country on the Atlantic Ocean will be effected.

2. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Well, that means I will most surely die if that happens. I live in the most easternly city in North America, on an island. The cliffs bordering our city and atlantic ocean are only about 150m high.

3. Burningsoul

Burningsoul Well-Known Member

Thailand was hit bad in some areas but was perfectly fine in other bits, my instructor is in thailand and knew nothing about it for the first few hours.

4. Jejune

Jejune Active Member

Thanks for that. It's such a bummer. Hopefully it won't trigger off a bunch of other disasters. Someone wrote on a website that the earthquake which caused the tsunami itself was triggered off by another earthquake which happened to Tasmania (part of Australia) which was caused by oil drilling... :mellow:

5. Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

I just learned this from my school:
    The UN have 2 billion dollars.
    There are 5 million homeless people.
    That's 40 dollars per person per year.
    That's 0.03 dollars a day per person.

By donating 10 dollars you can give them a first aid kit, blanket and some food.
    Please, please try help by sending them anything you don't really need or can spare. I'm sure in you're school/university...there must be somewhere if not there...they can send it!
    Please help, my school is putting a lot of effort but I know it won't do much...but if everyone donates then it will help greatly.
    If you have a credit card you can go here if you want.
    Please try your best to help them.

Oh, and if this makes some of you donate, LP is concerned...

6. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

In total, Holland has raised 76 million euro's for the victims in Asia.

Radio stations changed their name today to Radio 555, which is the number where you can donate your money.

7. lnkn_drgn_prk

lnkn_drgn_prk Well-Known Member

:eek: :(

Holy S***!!!

8. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Its now somewhere at 96 million, and should be over the 100 million tomorrow.

9. PaperFlowers

PaperFlowers Well-Known Member

[/b][/quote]
    I was in Thailand when it all happened. I think the island of Phuket and the province of Phang Nga were affected the worst (judging from the amount of deaths stated in the Bangkok Post). The province Of Krabi was quite badly affected aswell; although I am unaware of how many people died there. The beach where I was staying called Ao Nang in Krabi did have some waves, but I heard on the news that none of the waves were big enough to be tsunamis. On boxing day, I had a choice between going to the Phi Phi islands or going inland to go elephant trekking in the forest. Luckily, my mom doesn't like boats so we took the elephant trek. Phi Phi is in open water and any high ground is virtually impossible to get up to. If my family and myself had gone to Phi Phi then I don't think I would be telling you this right now. Two days later, I went shopping in town, I saw a notice asking if anyone had seen a 3 year old girl from the Netherlands. She was called Vivienne and it even had her picture on the note, this nearly made me cry. In Bangkok airport there were pages and pages of Thai and forein missing people. The amount of Scandinavian dead and missing is unbelievable and upsetting, think of all the broken hearts, all of the tears in Scandinavia, espcecially Sweden. This has been an event that has shook the world both literally, and in our hearts.

10. Leeuwnie

Its now somewhere at 96 million, and should be over the 100 million tomorrow.[/b][/quote]
    When the tv and radio stopped yesterday holland, had raised 112.440.000 euro thats about 146.172.000 dollar! That a lot for a small country with only about 16 million inhabitants. I think it's wonderful that we give so much attention to this!! I just think this is really too horrible to be true, but it is... When I saw al those images of people in Asia on tv yesterday... I just had to cry :(

11. Jejune

Jejune Active Member

PaperFlowers - Thank you for being so informative. My friend went for a holiday there, the problem is I don't know when she went - so she could have missed it entirely - and I have no idea where exactly she was at the time (so I'm sorry you had to type all that out).
    Edit - She got there after the tsnami, so she's fine...
    Heh, my friend is from Sweden...

12. Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

When the tv and radio stopped yesterday holland, had raised 112.440.000 euro thats about 146.172.000 dollar! That a lot for a small country with only about 16 million inhabitants. I think it's wonderful that we give so much attention to this!! I just think this is really too horrible to be true, but it is... When I saw al those images of people in Asia on tv yesterday... I just had to cry :( [/b][/quote]
    WOW...they gave way more than a whole continent (America)!
    GO HOLLAND :thumbsup:

13. Leeuwnie

WOW...they gave way more than a whole continent (America)!
    GO HOLLAND :thumbsup:[/b][/quote]
    And there is still money coming... Normally there's about 17 % taxes on charity donations. But the minister of Finance decided that no taxes have to be paid over the money that goes to Asia. :thumbsup:

14. Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Yah kudos to Holland on their efforts.

15. Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

And there is still money coming... Normally there's about 17 % taxes on charity donations. But the minister of Finance decided that no taxes have to be paid over the money that goes to Asia. :thumbsup: [/b][/quote]
    :mellow: ... Shit man.
    I LOVE YOUR COUNTRY! not more than mine...but still... :hugz:
    So amazing...

16. linkin park 101

linkin park 101 Shhh! If You're Quiet I'll Show You A Dinosaur

Australia raised

over $20 million aus dollars :D

or $151,602.36 us dollars

17. Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

One of the worst things ive ever seen in my life, the death toll is astonishing, my Aunties family all stay in the indonesian regions, so i dont know what the story is with them at the moment, im currently wearing a band that you get from giving a donation

18. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

This is going to affect us for the rest of our lifetimes. It's going to be in history books.

Whole villages are just gone...

I didn't realize how far the tsunamis hit until I heard that the lower part of Africa was affected as well...

I donated my paycheck to the Red Cross, I can live without DDR for a while.

Those before and after pictures just make me want to donate more.

19. Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

RADIOACTIVE TOO! :thumbsup:

Mine did nothing...their receiving donations, not giving them... =(

20. DruSilla

DruSilla Member

seeing this pictures on the news still makes me so sad...
    :(

german ppl have donated at least 350 Million Euro
    (wich would be sth like 457 Million $) so far....and it doesn't look like this is going to end anywhere soon...
    there are donation box everywhere you go here...
    in your local shop, at schools, at universitys....it'S amazing.
    and what's really touching is, that a lot of younger kids
    also donate money. there was a charity show the other day,
    and they showed children at the age of six or five donating 3,21 Euro or 2,56 euro...... :)