Iraq holds democratic elections

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Glenn, Feb 1, 2005.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

What do you think about the elections in Iraq? I think this is a great step for the country and I'm beginning to be convinced that we do have a reason over there.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

70% of the registered voters voted.....

out of how many registered? 25% of the population?

If that figure is correct, the people have spoken, and it's not democracy they want.

Glenn

A lot of people were very excited about receiving the freedom to vote. You have to take into account:
    1. This was the first election so not everyone is going to vote for the first time.
    2. People were threatened that whoever votes would get killed.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

People will always find a way to find negatives out of anything we do as a country, so dont worry about it.

Personally I'm very happy and I hope the new leader there will be able to run Iraq the right way. It's about time that country is unoppressed, people fail to notice that we have a large Iraqi population here because they fled from there.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

Good for them. Now if the U.S. would just figure out a reasonable way to get out of there...

lp_sk8ergurl

lp_sk8ergurl Well-Known Member

It's good to hear that they can finally vote and choose their leader.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

And a lot of people didn't bother voting, because their ethnic group had no chance of representation, or they didn't want to give their fingerprints up to the government.

lofton0788

lofton0788 Well-Known Member

good for them...i think we always had reason to be in there...enough of all the liberal media bias

Glenn

Yeah. I'm not saying everyone was excited but there were people who were excited about the new voting.

<!--QuoteBegin--Derek
    @Feb 1 2005, 02:18 AM
    People will always find a way to find negatives out of anything we do as a country, so dont worry about it.

Personally I'm very happy and I hope the new leader there will be able to run Iraq the right way. It's about time that country is unoppressed, people fail to notice that we have a large Iraqi population here because they fled from there.
    [/quote]

I agree. However, we don't know how well the leader will do at running the country. We do know that, in our democratic based opinions, it will be much better than Saddam.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

We put Saddam in power. I can see America making the same mistake the 2nd time around.

linkin_sylph

linkin_sylph Well-Known Member

Exactly.

But it might not be a "mistake" for America. Whoever's the leader will definetly create ties with the US and Iraq's oil.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Exactly.

But it might not be a "mistake" for America. Whoever's the leader will definetly create ties with the US and Iraq's oil. [/b][/quote]
    You mean, be completely controlled by America into giving oil?

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

From www.Reliefweb.int:

What the hell do they mean by that (in bold)? Obviously they want to have a solid military prescence to make sure that the 'government' in Iraq conform with the demands of the Americans.

This whole election thing is such a big propaganda statement it sickens me! Do you REALLY think that the government and all of the large contruction/oil corporations who are looking over at Iraq really care if their people are 'free' or not?

Its simple: The US needs oil, and Saddam wasn't warming up to Dubya. So they needed to take him out and install 'democracy' to get another leader that would warm up to them. Now they are using this whole democracy thing (as they did with terrorism and WMDs in the first place) to make people think we are doing the right thing. You guys better read up on some American politics over the past 50 years because this excuse has been used so many times by their government that you'd think people would catch onto it by now!!!!

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Eh, the thing about Bush getting Saddam out of power for oil seems plausible, and I actually think Bush would do that, but I still believe that Saddam needed to be taken out of power. Sure, he's not as bad as Joseph Stalin or Adolf Hitler, but he was still a tyrant in his own right, and I think he needed to be put out of office. Perhaps Bush knew this as well, and acted on it, but there was underlining reasons as well.

I don't know, maybe that's the Patriotic American in me talking, but you can't convince me Saddam didn't need to be taken out of power. That's just simply what I think.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Well, I can't say that Saddam did nothing wrong! He certainly did and he made the situation in Iraq pretty grim. However, why out of ALL the dictators in the world did we choose him? I mean in Africa, theres brutal dictatorships killing thousands every year. In Rwanda, just around the time of the Gulf War, the government killed almost a million people in a matter of weeks!

I was at a presentation made by the commanding General of the UN forces in Rwanda, for my World Issues class. He said that 4,000 troops could have made the difference and broken up the conflict. Why did the US sit on their hands for this conflict? They blame Saddam for a crime happening in a dozen other countries (an much worse in some than Iraq!), so why did they choose to step in here? Obviously its for geopolitical/economic reasons. With the US oil companies trying to keep oil reserves secure so they don't lose profits, the government goes for Saddam because he's sitting under the 2nd largest oil reserve in the World. Its that freakin simple.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I agree 100%.

I said in my original post that I agree with Bush going after Saddam for the oil, but I also think Saddam deserved to be put out of power.

But there are other tyrants out there that need it more than Saddam, but he had the oil, so Bush went after him.

Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

From what I heard: Bush chose them both anyways so whoever the Iraqis chose, Bush's going to win.
    They will supply America with as much oil as they can afford under this new leader.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Word. Bush will never go after evil African dictators because there's no benefit for him. Iraq has oil, which was the motive behind this entire war.

And I agree that Saddam needed to be taken out of power, however, it was not our job to do it. We shouldn't be babysitting the world.

goso88

goso88 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying "fighting terrorism and Saddam Hussein" is not a noble goal or anything....but it reminds me of the Filipino-American war in which the governemnt used "educating the Filipinos and helping them set up a good governemnt" as an excuse for maintainting U.S. military presence in that country. At the same time, the U.S. was killing rebellious Filipinos and dumping its surplus goods into that country and looking at more than 10,000 acres of virgin forest ripe for the U.S.'s logging industry...

Oh the striking parallels -_-

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I've been saying that line forever. Well said.