The Hybrid Concept

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Noc2, May 2, 2005.

Noc2

Noc2 Member

The test of the hybrid theory started with Linkin Park's first album which was respectfully titled "Hybrid Theory EP". This great (even though it only contained five songs) album was a mixture of the sounds of old-school hip-hop and hard rock, hence "hybrid". It was a perfect example of what their concept was all about and it was very promising.

Hybrid Theory EP had more hip-hop influence than rock, but there was still enough rock in there to consider it a hybrid. I enjoyed Mike's story-telling verses, Brad's quieter guitar, and Chester's minor importance. I feel that that album was what Linkin Park and their project was all about.

The concept had changed some with the release of "Hybrid Theory", though there were still a few songs that felt like the EP. Some such songs included "Papercut", "With You", "By Myself", and "A Place For My Head". But Linkin Park were slowing changing from just being a project to being a rock band, which was not the original idea.

Hybrid Theory's soldier represented two things. The soldier symbolized toughness (the hard rock), while the wings represented fragileness and flight (the sounds of Mike's verses). The song "With You" captured this very well. It started off heavy then calms almost as if your in the eye of a hurricane, then goes heavy again with the introduction of rock through the voice of Chester and Brad's guitar.

But how does "With You" manage to stick to the original idea? Another thing about the Hybrid Theory EP was that not only are the songs just a mix but most (if not all) of the songs sounded as if it were some sort of remix (something that other nu-metal bands such as Korn and Limp Bizkit never sounded like). This was especially evident in the song "And One".

"With You" sounded as if it were two songs mixed together that had a simular story to tell. I especially feel this is true when the song reached it's bridge.

If anything, Linkin Park was a hip-hop band (to a fault), and what's hurting it is the fact that their trying too hard to sound like a rock band with songs like "Somewhere I Belong", "Easier To Run", "Breaking The Habit", "From The Inside", and "Numb", and older songs such as "One Step Closer", "Crawling", and "Pushing Me Away".

Mike needs to become much more important again and Chester needs to lay off. I'm not saying that he doesn't have talent! What I am saying is that Mike just has more. Listen to songs like "High Voltage" (the b-side) and "It's Goin' Down" and then listen to crap like the song Chester did with DJ Lethal (or even "Numb"!!) and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Needless to say, I'm very excited to hear what Mike has done with his new band.

What we need is a conceptual album. Something that many fans have said many, many times before.

Playlist

I came up with this playlist which includes Hybrid Theory EP and a few other songs that I feel could fit on that album nicely. Listening to it (in the designated order, of course) may help you understand what I'm talking about more, and maybe you'll even agree with me.

01. A.06
    02. Step Up
    03. Papercut
    04. Lying From You
    05. Technique
    06. With You
    07. Carousel
    08. By Myself
    09. Esaul / A Place For My Head
    10. And One
    11. Figure.09
    12. Cure For The Itch
    13. High Voltage * (Hybrid Theory B-Side)
    14. Part of Me
    15. Secret

Explanations.

A.06

Though it does scream "metal", I still feel that it's a nice intro. Even in this case.

Papercut

Mike had said before that this song best describes what Linkin Park is all about.
    You have guitars but the old-school hip-hop still holds the greatest influence on the song. The chorus is even rapped dispite what some people might think.

Lying From You

Yes! There is a song off of Meteora that's actually decent!
    This song holds some of the same idea's of "With You". It sounds like a remix. (chorus and bridge)

By Myself

It's heavy but, just like "With You", it sticks to the plan.

Esaul / A Place For My Head

It's a little different from the rest of the songs but it still feels like the EP.
    I think that they should have combined the original lyrical idea of Esaul and the instrumental part of the completed studio version of "A Place For My Head" together.

Figure.09

This song is a bit of a stretch, but I think that if the guitars were quieter so that it was more of a background noise (simular to "And One" and "Part Of Me"), the song would sound perfect on the EP.

Cure For The Itch

Does it really need to be explained?

High Voltage *

This song was originally supposed to be on Hybrid Theory following "Cure For The Itch". They should have kept it there. I think it's a masterpiece.

omnislasher_VII

omnislasher_VII Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do like Linkin Park's more HTEP side, but I still like the hard rock songs. :)

I find it kind of boofy how some songs are all Chester, with Mike just rapping like 1 verse and fading away...

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i love the tracks of the hybrid theory EP. they are probably the better linkin park songs which are out there.

[edit]: mike doesnt have a new band, he's just doing a solo project.

Noc2

Noc2 Member

Isn't the new band called The Rising Tied and the album called Fort Minor?

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

The other way around, buddy.

And it's not a band, really. It's just his name for it. He didn't want to put Mike Shinoda.

So, Fort Minor is the artist, and The Rising Tied is the album.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

EDIT: What GiriosXeni said.

djg1285

djg1285 Well-Known Member

Going with your "Hybrid Concept", I hope that, if LP leaves Warner, they will get more creative and created another CD that sounds like Hybrid Theory. As much as I liked Meteora, the only songs that did not reflect HT songs were Breaking the Habit and Nobody's Listening. I too hope that the band goes back to the more diverse feel that they had on the HTEP.

EDIT: Wow, it was late when I wrote that, the first sentence is supposed to say: They will get more creative and create another CD that sounds more like HTEP and not like HT.

Evan™

Evan™ HI! I'm Randy, I'm a Bandicoot Über Member

i hav to agree...meteora was a little more of concept then HT but HTEP was teh best but HT had a balnce os chester's lines n mikes' lines whereas HTEP had more of mike n less chester and meteora had more chester and less mike...

lp_soldier88

lp_soldier88 Member

I have to agree that LP is all about The Hybrid Concept (or was), but not all of the fans like the formula. Ther are others who are more in to hard core, rock or havy, and the band sems to for this.I belive that the band should split their albums, that way they would keep all the fans...

(Hope you get the idea!)

linkinrockrapark

linkinrockrapark Member

You have to understand Mike and Chester are very different ,Mike started rapping and was the best stuff i've ever heard , But the best i heard from Chester is from grey daze "No Sun Today" It's the best CD i have. You must listen to GREY DAZE

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

You have the Grey Daze CD? Where'd you get it?

linkinrockrapark

linkinrockrapark Member

At a book store you can order CD's so i tried grey daze"No Son Today" and said they had copies,It took a couple of weeks but it's great ,So that must mean there still being made or i got lucky, Does anyone have it or heard it?

linkinrockrapark

linkinrockrapark Member

at boarders

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I hope you realize the hypocrisy of this statement.

Being a hybrid means not following a formula, and saying a formula exists in the first place means it's not a hybrid.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

So what you're saying is take every LP b-side and make an album.

You're not the first... :lol:

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Wow that might actually be a good idea!

Noc2

Noc2 Member

I don't understand what you are saying. Papercut is a b-side?

Weezy

Weezy Well-Known Member

Hybrid simply means "mixed". It doesn't mean that it's not following a formula.

.Kevin

.Kevin Super Member

yout correct , I think they should mix up the lyrics also the lyrics went to straight rock lyrics which wasn't at htep,,

savetomorrow

savetomorrow Well-Known Member

I dunno about everyone else but I don't think that "State of The Art" should be labeled crap. If all the songs were like "High Voltage" and "It's Goin Down", Linkin Park would be boring, but I do agree on bringing back Mike Shinoda's great storytelling verses.