North Korea

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by $pvcxGhxztCasey, May 12, 2005.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

South Korea has reported underground activity along the DMZ border. North Korea has removed spent fuel rods from their nuclear plants, which is a key to making nuclear bombs.

What are your thoughts on North Korea? We know they can make nukes, and possibly launch one to strike Japan or South Korea.

It kinda reminds me of the Cold War, you know? Russia had the technology to make nuclear bombs, and we knew this. Everyone feared an atomic winter would come along but... it never did. I think (and hope) this is the case with North Korea.

Is this the second Cold War? World War III?

Thoughts?

Omar A

Omar A Beyond Science LPA Super Member

North Korea is a sleeping gaint. I think one day they'll flip out.

USAF.07

USAF.07 Well-Known Member

Hope not either, that would be a very ugly war and we simply don't have the manpower to deal with it right now, especially if China got involved. A lot of people would die if this were to happen, someday though if they go too far they will need to be blasted into oblivion and I would support as many nuke strikes on them as possible if they used a WMD first on anyone.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

What we must realize is that South and North Korea aren't nearly as civilized as Russia and the US were when they disarmed. I don't see anything positive coming out of this. Watch out.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

North Korea don't have long range missles, ala the ICBMs like the US and Russia has.

They couldn't strike us with a nuclear missle or bomb, no, but if they attack Japan or South Korea, it's basically the same thing. Especially SK since we have soldiers stationed there. And they'd be slaughtered.

Then the beginning stages of what would/could be World War III begins.

Mark

North Korea don't have long range missles, ala the ICBMs like the US and Russia has.

They couldn't strike us with a nuclear missle or bomb, no, but if they attack Japan or South Korea, it's basically the same thing. Especially SK since we have soldiers stationed there. And they'd be slaughtered.

Then the beginning stages of what would/could be World War III begins. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, I'm well aware of that. But I wasn't comparing them in that way. I don't think either side wants to compromise and they will risk a war because of it. The US and Russia were terrified of one another, so that scared both into disarming. The problem with the Southern and Northern Korean governments is that they are immensely proud and many are not afraid to die for what they believe in. That's what makes them different from the previous Cold War. You had the Americans and Russians who had common sense, and you've got extremist countries like North Korea threatening their sworn enemies.

Melonman64

Melonman64 Well-Known Member

My look on how the situation with North Korea is this:
    N. Korea is capable of striking us, we are capable of striking them.
    If they send missles/nukes, we instantly know and either retaliate, destroy their missles, or both. Kim Jung-Il knows it wouldn't acheive anything and would make him look bad if he attacked us, so he is biding his time. Eventually, however, he may attack us. If we had attacked him instead of Iraq, the world might be better off. Iraq should have happened probably a bit later than it did (Bush only needed to wait 30 more days before the info from the U.N. came back)

$pvcxGhxztCasey

You realize if the US had attacked North Korea, Kim Jong-il might have ordered the launch of nuclear bombs to Japan or South Korea, yeah?

And North Korea doesn't have the technology to make their weapons reach our side of the planet.

Melonman64

Melonman64 Well-Known Member

I'm saying if they attacked us first, but even so, both S. Korea and Japan are our allies, so if they were attacked, we would respond.

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

Time to commence Operation: Rice Eater Snake.

If only life were that easy and we had a Solid Snake.

North Korea is 'G1' in terms of super powers to me.

'G1' meaning 'great one'.

I Don't Need No Accuser

I Don't Need No Accuser Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing that leads us to believe they have them now is Kim Jong Il (A crazy dictator) saying he has them. He's trying to scare us with the threat of nuclear bombs just like Saddam Hussein did. And the same thing is going to happen, instead of scaring us which he thinks will work, we're going to panic. I don't think this will lead to another WWIII at all. This will be the same thing as Iraq. And if they launched a nuclear bomb, I couldn't imagine what we would do. Then again this whole North Korea thing is Clinton's fault so we can't really say it's not our fault.

Mark

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

I heard sometihng on the news the other day that N. Korea does has the technology to reach the west coast. I mean this could just be the american government saying this to scare everyone and make them beleieve that N. Korea is a true enemy. But yha i tihnk that is N. Korea launched nuclear weapons at Japan or south Korea then yah it would either be the start of WWIII, for however long that would last until the world would end, or until the americans plant the people of N. Korea in the ground with retaliatory nuclear weapons. But I tihnk for now N. Korea is just playing a power trip because they obviously have nuclear weapons and they are doing so to scare the rest of the world.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Well, North Korea is too economically and technologically weak to wage any kind of "Cold War" with the US.

They also have too few allies to count on. However, indeed, if we add up the tensions along the DMZ to the ones in the Tawain Strait and in Iran, we may be talking about a possible widespread military conflict. World War? Not really; we're not talking about a situation nor a type of conflict like the last great confrontation : gaining territory isn't the main objective and the way wars are waged have changed.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It isn't that far of a stretch to believe that they do. In this day in age, everybody is arming themselves to the teeth, despite the talks of getting rid of such weapons.

We know that N.K. can launch tactical missiles over Japan... is it so hard to think they can go nuclear?

But of course, we live in a world where everyone is dependent on each other.

Remember when N. Korea started flaunting their power a month or two ago? America and Russia just stopped discussions with them and N. Korea retracted the statement.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

America disarmed the Soviets awhile back, limiting how many warheads or something they could have to one, meanwhile the US can fit 5 warheads in one bomb.

Pretty clever.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Haha, as if one warhead wasn't enough.

Man, if discussions go wrong in any form or fashion, the world is fucked.

I Don't Need No Accuser

I Don't Need No Accuser Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly. North Korea ONLY wants to talk to us now since we gave them a nuclear reactor and they think by telling us (again) ''We won't use the nuclear reactor for building nuclear bombs.'' Type thing. We will fall for it but we won't this time. And I also agree with Avenger, the idea that North Korea could 'cause WWIII is insane imo. If they ever launched a nuclear bomb, many countries would invade and bomb the shit out of them.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Exactly.

goso88

goso88 Well-Known Member

I'm just curious--what do you mean by "civilized"?