What's so funny about Napoleon Dynamite?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by ChooseYourPoison, Jul 3, 2005.

ChooseYourPoison

ChooseYourPoison nymphetamine

Okay, don't get me wrong, but what's so funny about it? This isn't a hate thread or anything, I just don't get it.

What's the humor of making fun of a kid with a speech impetiment? :huh:

The sayings are way overused as well. I can't go a day without hearing "FRIGGIN IDIOT!" or "GOSH" (Jon Heder style, I'm aware that people have been saying it since before the movie).

Not to mention that not a lot of people can pull off the Jon Heder voice. Eh.

I just don't think it was worth the "Best Movie" award. :wth:

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

well , its simply that the movie is so stupid its actually funny..

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I've never even seen it. I'm like a teenage outcast now.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Come oooon. Dont take everything so seriously :lol: This is just an hilarious movie! There's no storyline in it. Its just..damn hilarious :lol:

Mushroom Cloud

Mushroom Cloud Well-Known Member

For me....I found it hilarious because I saw parts of myself in Napolean.... little things made me laugh like when he pulled out the velcro wallet (because I had one). The whole movie was just based on subtle stereotypes. If your looking for the classic setup ended with a pun type humor....your not going to get this movie

An example of this is when Uncle Rico crosses his arms and tries to push his biceps up with his hands to make them look bigger. (priceless)
    Little details like that make the movie funny because everybody knows guys who are full of themselves like that.

Its by no means for the people who like super off the wall humor like Old Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler movies. Its for the people who can just laugh at the little details in life....thats why there was no real story......it didnt need one.

It also helps if you are a little nerdy.

Im a big dork so I loved it

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

I can do a decent impression of Jon Heder, but Napoleon just isn't funny to me anymore. It was funny when myself and a few friends would talk to people like that, but when the whole school started, I just thought, "What the fuck is everyone smoking?". Every once in a while I start to say something like, "Gosh, frickin' idiot!" and I catch myself in before anyone notices. Not to mention, the shirts and tator tot patches are spreading like bubonic plague. The movie's old now, so people need to give it a rest!

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

You have to admit the dance routine at the end was awesome.

Mushroom Cloud

To tell the truth....I think some of this funniest parts had nothing to do with Napolean.....like the Martial Arts commerical.

I sometimes thought the parts with Kip were just as funny aswell.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

Yessss.

Also, the movie isn't great when watching it, it's when you start thinking about it after you've watched it that it's funny.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Everything was so lame! Including the dance scene, dialogue, characters and everything else. It was such a boring, shitty movie.

And the fact that it's lame doens't make it funny, it's a pitiful, pathetic excuse for a movie that everyone's started to like because it's the cool, new, hip thing to do. I feel poisoned everytime I hear a quote from it. It's terrible.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I liked it the first time I saw it, but I think it was the atmosphere of the audience. The next time, it was just cheesy.

But I've come to appreciate this movie somewhat. Anytime I feel depressed about how much my life is screwed up, I just watch this movie and see that it could be worse.

ChooseYourPoison

ChooseYourPoison nymphetamine

if I could hug you for that post, I would.

Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I fell asleep during the movie, no lie.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Agreed. The movie sucked.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

But you do realize it was an indie movie, right...? :lol:

It's not the best indie movie to be released, but it's not the worst, either.

I think people gotta' cut movies like Napoleon Dynamite some slack, lol. It surprises me as well that it'd win such considerably "prestige" awards, but that's not to excuse it must have had some type of impact on the audience that watched it.

For me, it was just a movie. It was in fact a movie you'd see at the Sundance Film Festival. It's not the greatest movie in the world, but obviously someone, somewhere believed this movie to click with audiences and it seems to have done it's job well. You can hate it, but it seems to be a public favorite... lol.

I think what makes the movie "popular" would be the one-liners, and the way they are executed. Everyday phrases were being said by a smartass "geek" of sort, and people found that to be "cool." It's a phase, yaddah, yaddah, but what are you gonna' do about it? lol, It's probably just something people found to be catchy, just like a song, eventually it'll get old and not everyone will see things the same. :p

It's very rare that a "good" indie movie makes it big.

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

if the "best movie" award was given by mtv, its probably because it was an mtv movie.

i thought it was alright. its one of those stupid movies you laugh at because its so idiotic.

i like the part where he tries to jump off the ramp on the bike :lol:

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I find Napoleon Dynamite to be funny, but I've become bored of it and it's becoming too monotonous. I see a few of my friends wearing Napoleon Dynamite wristbands and I find the obsession unbearable. A movie is a movie. Napoleon Dynamite is not a God for Christ's sake, nor is Kip. Plus, the sayings, "God" and "Frickin Idiot" have become so monotonous to me that I just don't say them anymore (and I never even said them the way Jon Heder said them). People say them everyday, so just because one person says it, it becomes the best thing to say? I find no reason in it.

But this goes back to what Mushroom Cloud said. The movie's comedy was based on the little details of everyday life. It wasn't exactly off-the-wall humor, and the fact that people take it to be like that is just nonsense. I laughed the first time at Jon Heder's "God, you frickin' idiot!" routine and his "You fat lard!" routine with the pet llama. It was just small humor and that's what the movie was about. There was no storyline to follow, which is also pretty decent because you don't have to ask the person next to you, "Oh, so that happened and that's why?" Napoleon Dynamite is technically about his friend Pedro running for school President and Napoleon helping him out; along with his Uncle Rico giving him a hard time. And the other minor storyline is of Kip's love for Lafawnduh. But other than that, it was random and that's what I liked about it. I don't laugh as much when a friend invites me over to watch it or if my brother is watching it and I just come to watch it with him. It has becoming too boring for me.

What annoys me most of all about the Napoleon Dynamite craze is the "Vote for Pedro" products and the whole obsession about it. During the 2004 election, my friends were saying, "Don't vote for Kerry or Bush, or Nader. Vote for Pedro." And I felt like slapping them. Why the hell would you do that? It goes to show how weak the human mind can be. And when we had school president elections and this and that people said, "Vote for Pedro." I believe I knew 20 people who crossed out the real candidates, put Pedro and an check next to it. I felt like slapping them again. It makes no sense! It's another stupid obsession!

Napoleon Dynamite was good when it came out, I'll admit. But the craze about it is complete nonsense and I don't think it is as cool as people make it out to be. But of course, people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how stupid I think their opinions are.

Mushroom Cloud

I guess in that sense....I can understand....

I saw the movie before it really took off.....and both my friend and I really liked it and joked about it.....but hearing people say "Frickin Idiot" ALL THE TIME gets pretty damn annoying. I can especially understand when people get tired of it before they even watch it....and when they get around to wathcing it..they feel like it was way over hyped (which in all fairness it was) and come to hate it because of all the people, who frankly, ruin the humor.

I just really love the detail in the movie......how everything in the grandmothers house consisted of wood paneling...and how you couldnt even tell if the movie was taking place in the 80' or recent times.

I was also glad it was a clean movie....it didnt need dumb college humor about sex and drugs to be a movie people could enjoy.

But I do agree the movie grew too big for its own good....and I would be very happy if I never heard a bad Napolean impression again.

Lpimp

Lpimp Extremely H! Vltg3

i watched the movie and in some parts i liked it,not all of the movie though.i think it's funny cuz he's a "friggin Idiot"!

Rinkin

Rinkin Well-Known Member

I thought the movie was a bit lame. I laughed maybe only once. That was the part where Napoleon throws an orange or something at his uncle while his uncle is in his van driving along and he gets scared when the orange hits the windshield, but you see that kind of stuff in other movies also.

I thought some of the characters were just to weird. The girl with the pony tail hanging from the side? That's just weird man. I don't wanna see that.