Queen Bee headed for the slammer

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Andrea, Jul 7, 2005.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

NEW YORK (AP) --- Grammy-winning rapper Lil' Kim was sentenced Wednesday to a year and a day in prison and fined $50,000 for lying to a federal grand jury to protect friends involved in a 2001 shootout outside a Manhattan radio station. It was far less than the 20-year maximum she could have gotten and the nearly three-year sentence prosecutors had sought.

U.S. District Judge Gerard Lynch said he had considered the public perception of sending a young black entertainer to prison far longer than Martha Stewart, who spent five months in prison and remains under house arrest.While many rappers have served time in prison, Lil' Kim, who was convicted in March, is the first big-name female artist to do so.

Before the sentence was handed down, Lil' Kim spoke briefly, her voice breaking. She admitted to lying to the grand jury and at her trial. "At the time I thought it was the right thing to do but I now know it was wrong," she said. She also asked the judge to weigh more than just this one event. "I have worked hard my entire life for everything I have, everything I have accomplished," Lil' Kim said. "I ask you to consider my entire life's work and not just the days in the grand jury and on the witness stand in the courtroom. I'm a God-fearing, good person."

The rapper has to report to prison by Sept. 19. Her lawyers are hoping she will be sent to the facility in Danbury, Connecticut, so that she can be closer to her mother. She didn't say anything as she left the courthouse.

Lil' Kim, who turns 30 next week, was the sidekick and mistress of the late Notorious B.I.G. As a solo artist, she has become known for her revealing outfits and raunchy lyrics. She won a Grammy in 2001 for her part in the hit remake of "Lady Marmalade."

The rapper told the grand jury she did not notice two of her close friends at the scene of the shootout - her manager, Damion Butler, and Suif Jackson, known as "Gutta." Both have pleaded guilty to gun charges. Jurors at Lil' Kim's trial saw radio station security photos that depicted Butler opening a door for the rap star, and two witnesses who once made records with Lil' Kim said they saw her at the station with Butler and Jackson.

In other legal problems, Lil' Kim was sued earlier this year by two men who say she failed to pay them for songwriting and performing services for the 2003 album La Bella Mafia, which sold more than 1 million copies.

When she arrived at the courthouse Wednesday, some fans were there to proclaim their support. One man's T-shirt read "Free Lil' Kim" and "Real Men Don't Snitch."

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Wow... Martha Stewart fucks with the economy, gets 5 months.

Lil' Kim does what she thought was right at the time and protected friends... gets a year and a day.

Racial discrimination? :lol:

I wonder how her music will be affected.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

Her music was affected a looong time ago. :lol:

xero agnostos

xero agnostos Well-Known Member

Seriously, African American celebs can never catch a break in the court room. What with the OJ verdict, Jacko's trial, Snoop Dogg's outcome, ect. Someone should really start looking into the unfair treatment of these poor people...

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Seriously, African American celebs can never catch a break in the court room. What with the OJ verdict, Jacko's trial, Snoop Dogg's outcome, ect. Someone should really start looking into the unfair treatment of these poor people... [/b][/quote]
    Uh...all those people were acquitted. :wth:

ChooseYourPoison

ChooseYourPoison nymphetamine

hahaha is it wrong for me to find this funny? :lol:

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Uh...all those people were acquitted. :wth: [/b][/quote]
    :lol:! Well put.

Her music most likely won't be affected. It's probably as raunchy as possible already.

xero agnostos

Uh...all those people were acquitted. :wth:[/b][/quote]
    :mellow:

My point was that they get off just as easy as white people.

s . a . r . c . a . s . m for teh win!

Haha, like ANYONE doesn't know at least OJ was acquitted. Man, I guess I should spell it out at the end of posts like that because this happens way too often. I thought at least you would get it Mark :wth:

Minus

Hey, this'll open her up to new genres, at least.

When she gets out, I'm sure she'll be interested in Tool's Prison Sex.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Sarcasm is notoriously difficult to interpret on the internet. Especially when you don't know the mannerisms of the person using it. Try to use smilies to be more obvious.

xero agnostos

True enough. I'll keep that in mind...
    :mellow: ^_^ :eek: ;) B) :lol: :D :p :rolleyes: :) :angry: :( :chaz: :mike: :chemist: :unsure: :joe:

jk ^_^

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

:mellow: ^_^ :eek: ;) B) :lol: :D :p :rolleyes: :) :angry: :( :chaz: :mike: :chemist: :unsure: :joe:

jk ^_^ [/b][/quote]
    There was no need for that. :rolleyes:

Minus

jk ^_^ [/b][/quote]
    :rolleyes:

:lol: You know you're gonna end up in prison if you're in a movie called "You Got Served."

You suckas just got served!