Do you believe in god?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by esaul17, Aug 14, 2005.

?

Do you believe in god?

1. Yes, one of an established religion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but just the idea of a God

33.3%
  3. No

66.7%
    esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I was reading a topic and was suprised that so many people believed in life after death. I was just wondering how many here believed in a God then.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

No. I think imaginary friends are dumb.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

Yes, my faith is actually pretty strong.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I have strong faith as well.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Prayed and prayed, but I went on a downward spiral.

I believe there is a God, but not much faith in Him.

Evan™

Evan™ HI! I'm Randy, I'm a Bandicoot Über Member

yeah same here...

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Was that supposed to be funny? Well it's not.

Yes, I do believe in God.

Hana

Hana i are scientists LPA Super Member

I don't.

Arhaz

Arhaz ...waiting. LPA Super Member

i believe in God and have faith.... ^_^
    sometimes people are disappointed by the pain the God inflicts upon us, but my religion has explained well, that whatever pain you bear, your sins in equal measure gets erased.
    why worry about pain? is it this four letter word that causes so much confusion? life isn't a bed of roses. i know all understand that. i bet you all understand that very well. i know life shouldn't be as hard as it is for many of you people out there. the closest to God are hurt the most. it's a sort of a test to check how steadfast you are. i'm not pointing any fingers here. i just feel that religion is a very sensitive topic and i'm obsessed with talking about it a lot.

lol, got carried away once more.

Gaara

Gaara Banned

Hell no (w00t)

God.. dont make me laugh..

Faith in god (any god) is for the weak, It is for those who have to rely on the the thought that a god is behind everything that happens so they can accept it.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

I can see this thread being closed in the near future...

Personaly, i don't believe in God atal. I think God is a security blanket for people. I won't go any further into my opinion as i may cause arguments.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yes, but just the idea of a god.

I have no idea what or who. But I just think that there must be something.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

In my opinion, "Omnipotence Paradoxes" are the quickest way to disprove the existence of any kind of omnipotent being. The most popular of which goes like this: -

Ask God to create a rock so heavy that he himself cannot lift it... Now, if he can't do it, he isn't omnipitent. If he can do it, then he can't lift the rock, and so is not omnipitent.

We also have the evil paradox: -

259,200 people die every day. Does God do anything about it? No. Is he not able? Well then he isn't omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Well then he is malelovent. Is he able and willing? Well... whence then is evil?

I don't want to cause offence to religious people. I'm simply trying to present philosophical arguements against the existence of a God. The aim being to engage in a philosophical debate, not a childish arguement. I'm hoping this will be the case, as this is the type of thread that could get out of hand very quickly.

fallenangel

fallenangel Well-Known Member

cooljelly

cooljelly Well-Known Member

Was that supposed to be funny? Well it's not.

Yes, I do believe in God. [/b][/quote]
    Yes I do believe it was ment to be funny. But don't you think he's actually got a really good point. God is just like an imaginary friend. There's no real proof he exists but yet when we need him, we will go to church , mosque etc. so that we feel better. Rather than God makin them safe, the idea of a God makes people feel safe.

insanechica007

insanechica007 Well-Known Member

i don't..only because nobody can prove that he does exsist and what if i spend my life worshiping someone that's not there? what if when i die and i'm planning on going to heaven, and there really is none? but, i don't believe in hell, either. in fact, i'm not of any religion, currently..i'm still trying work it out..

amanda_diane

amanda_diane Well-Known Member

and no one can prove that there's not a God.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

The burden of proof is on religion.

If I told you that there was a million dollars in cash for you sitting next to your keyboard, but you just couldn't see it or touch it, you wouldn't believe me because thats a pretty absurd statement. I would have to prove that this thing that you can't see or touch exists. Pretty tough to do. In this analogy, I'm religion, you're science. So, back to whether or not god exists. Religion is trying to state that something we cannot see or touch exists. So, they've gotta prove that god exists, which they haven't yet done and will never be able to do. Science doesn't have to prove that god doesn't exist. Common sense would tell you that something you can't see doesn't exist.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

You want to know what I hate? When people claim that they don't believe in God but yet when they're lying on their death bed, people suddenly cry out and start praying to God.

I've seen it happen.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

The burden of proof is on religion.

If I told you that there was a million dollars in cash for you sitting next to your keyboard, but you just couldn't see it or touch it, you wouldn't believe me because thats a pretty absurd statement. I would have to prove that this thing that you can't see or touch exists. Pretty tough to do. In this analogy, I'm religion, you're science. So, back to whether or not god exists. Religion is trying to state that something we cannot see or touch exists. So, they've gotta prove that god exists, which they haven't yet done and will never be able to do. Science doesn't have to prove that god doesn't exist. Common sense would tell you that something you can't see doesn't exist. [/b][/quote]
    Huzzah! Thank you, Todd! Completely correct, the burden of proof is on the party that claims it to be true. As a sentious being, I cannot accept such a theory on 0 concrete evidence.

I am, obviously, an atheist.