Do you believe in god?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by esaul17, Aug 14, 2005.

?

Do you believe in god?

1. Yes, one of an established religion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but just the idea of a God

33.3%
  3. No

66.7%
    insanechica007

insanechica007 Well-Known Member

Amen..kinda. Shit always happens to me, too.. :mellow:

forgottenlp52

forgottenlp52 Well-Known Member

I believe in God. Im catholic, i may not be that religious, but i still believe.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I don't really think there is a God but I hope there is so he/she/it can answer my prayers.

I Don't Need No Accuser

I Don't Need No Accuser Well-Known Member

I do believe in God. And I often wonder about, ''If god exists, how did he come from nothing?'' And same about the big bang theory and other theories. It's fascinating that we're just here, and as far as our small minds can comprehend, something can't come from nothing.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't believe in God. I believe in a higher power, but not God.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

I'm nulling my vote.

I don't believe in a loving, caring God. If there is a higher being, it's just letting us do whatever, and possibly looking on and laughing.

I think I'd do the same in its place.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I don't believe in God.

Everyone has already explained it excellently.

Maëlle

Maëlle I've seen it all

No God for me either.

I Don't Need No Accuser

I Don't Need No Accuser Well-Known Member

1. I heard a very good answer to this before. I remember the person that told me. I'll try and get a hold of him cause I'd like to know the response myself.

2. Getting involved with most deaths would be conflicting with free will. The point of free will is that you do what you like. God is limited in his design. And if he got involved with one person's problems, he would have to get involved with everybody's. You give them an inch, they want a mile.

God <3.

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

Yes, I do. not in any religious form.

Weezy

Weezy Well-Known Member

Nope. Too many reasons.

sariia

sariia Member

I believe in God. Just because I can't see or touch something doesn't automatically mean it doesn't exist. Love exists too even though we can't see or touch it. We feel it. Í can feel God. I believe in God because He has actually answered my prayers through daily activities. For example I found one answer by accidentally looking through a book I picked randomly at the library. Anyways, I don't want to convert anyone because I think everyone has the right to believe in what they think is real.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

I'm agnostic.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

Yes, I believe in God.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

i gotta say yes. but there are something i won't understand i think a higer being is responsible for that. but one thing i won't ever understand is that if God is so great, then why does he/she/it let bad things happen?

Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

i don't belive the whole concept of god . I agree with todd (2nd post ) and if God was real why does he/she let millions of people suffer? i think that money is like a God , money can let you get things in life , help you in life etc.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

No offense, but when people believe in a certain thing, they often try to rationalize things to fit their "mental needs", or their personal doctrine. If both of us have grandfathers sick in the hospital, you will pray and pray that he's alright, while I will either simply wait for the outcome or even try to push it to the back of my mind.
    If both of the men die, would it occur to you that your prayers were not answered? I doubt it, you would probably say it was somehow in God's plan and, further nonsense rationalizing, that it was better for him to die, since now he's "in a better place." I'd probably regret his passing, but accept it as an inevitable inverse of the process of life.
    If the men had lived, you would have most likely praised God for your good fortune, saying your prayers were answered. I would probably thank modern science and medicine.

The point is, have your prayers really been answered? Would it matter if they had not been? I doubt the latter, it seems like the logic of Christianity sets itself up so that individuals can almost shove responsibility. It seems often to Christians that God has a holy script that we're all playing out. When it favors you, you seem to assume that he has distinctly listened and reacted to your prayers. When it does not favor you, it seems you retreat back to the mysticism of "god", saying that it's part of some greater good that cannot be comprehended. Does that mean you feel him? For you, apparently, yes. As you see, I just see it as a chance chain of events. I see a "random" pick of a book, just that: random. Of course, I could reconcile and justify ANYthing if I put my mind to it, because there's no outward physical evidence against it, in a world where your god cannot be defined but my mystic and metaphysical generalities, or by ambiguous human emotions. The puritans used to think that God was in complete control of them, and that a certain shift in body position, or a sneeze could be a sign of their eternal fate.

So just because there's no outward concrete evidence against it, doesn't mean it's true. Often times, it seems rediculous to believe so.

hybrid_fan

hybrid_fan Ambient

I do

Ant

Ant Ambient

No offense, but when people believe in a certain thing, they often try to rationalize things to fit their "mental needs", or their personal doctrine. If both of us have grandfathers sick in the hospital, you will pray and pray that he's alright, while I will either simply wait for the outcome or even try to push it to the back of my mind.
    If both of the men die, would it occur to you that your prayers were not answered? I doubt it, you would probably say it was somehow in God's plan and, further nonsense rationalizing, that it was better for him to die, since now he's "in a better place." I'd probably regret his passing, but accept it as an inevitable inverse of the process of life.
    If the men had lived, you would have most likely praised God for your good fortune, saying your prayers were answered. I would probably thank modern science and medicine.

The point is, have your prayers really been answered? Would it matter if they had not been? I doubt the latter, it seems like the logic of Christianity sets itself up so that individuals can almost shove responsibility. It seems often to Christians that God has a holy script that we're all playing out. When it favors you, you seem to assume that he has distinctly listened and reacted to your prayers. When it does not favor you, it seems you retreat back to the mysticism of "god", saying that it's part of some greater good that cannot be comprehended. Does that mean you feel him? For you, apparently, yes. As you see, I just see it as a chance chain of events. I see a "random" pick of a book, just that: random. Of course, I could reconcile and justify ANYthing if I put my mind to it, because there's no outward physical evidence against it, in a world where your god cannot be defined but my mystic and metaphysical generalities, or by ambiguous human emotions. The puritans used to think that God was in complete control of them, and that a certain shift in body position, or a sneeze could be a sign of their eternal fate.

So just because there's no outward concrete evidence against it, doesn't mean it's true. Often times, it seems rediculous to believe so. [/b][/quote]
    Tell me -- is it a particular religion you have a problem with (from what it seems to me, the various forms of Christianity), or is it the idea of God in particular?

And, not to sound rude, but you are not educated on the beliefs of Christians from the sounds of your posts. When Christians pray to God, it does not mean that their prayers will be answered -- you pray to ask for strength and help in dealing with problems, not to have your problems solved for you.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Well, if a God did exist, the only logical explanation would be because these people did something in a prior life to deserve suffering, which in turn validates reincarnation, which goes against most Christian/Catholic beliefs and proves that karma does exist.

But God doesn't exist, so it's a moot point.

EDIT: In response to Ant's response, in an ideal world, Christians and the like pray for strength.

In real life, it's a different story.