10.9?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by The Outsider, Aug 30, 2005.

The Outsider

The Outsider Billy Corgan = God

Has anyone seen that movie?
    Do you think that anywhere in the world, an earthquake could happen that big?

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I believe there have been Earthquakes that bad before.

But if one was to happen in the near future, I'd be sorta creeped out.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

It's plausible. That's why the movie was made.

Will it happen in our lifetime? That's unlikely.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

From some site I googled:

9. Where Did the Largest Known Earthquake Occur?

A magnitude 9.5 earthquake in Chile in 1960 was the largest known earthquake and resulted in over 6,000 deaths. It triggered a tsunami or seismic wave (incorrectly known as a tidal wave) that killed people as far away as Hawaii and Japan. Chile is also on a subduction zone.

So now, we haven't had one that powerful, and I honestly doubt we'd ever see a 10.9. The Richter scale is logarithmic, so a whole number increase means 10 times as intense. So a 10.9 would be 10 times as intense and a 9.9. And considering anything over 8 is a once in a lifetime thing, and we've maxed at 9.5, it would take a shit ton of energy to get up to a 10.9, and I just don't see it as possible

Will

It's both possible and plausible. I suppose that if something horrifically catastrophic happened, like a volcano exploding with more force than Mount Saint Helens, it could trigger a massive earthquake like that. Also, depending on where this pseudo-massive earthquake is located, it could decimate millions, even billions, of lives. First of all, you've got the earthquake, and, depending on where it's at, a tsunami could become of the earthquake.

That's one thing that ruined that movie for me, actually. In it, they never mention a tsunami smashing into Japan, Indonesia, New Zealand or Australia. An earthquake of that magnitude would most certainly produce a tsunami and it would most certainly destroy more than what it did destroy.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Actually, each increase of a whole number means a 30x increase in energy release. The scale is open-ended, meaning no upper limit.

That's why 10.9 is possible. Is it likely? No.

But when it does occur, and if it does in the Pacific Ocean, say goodbye to California. Anyone west of the San Andreas transform fault plunge into the ocean. We're talking about the loss of millions of people.

That's not likely to happen for a few thousand years, though.

Weezy

Weezy Well-Known Member

If it ever happens on the West Coast of the United States, you'll never see me again.

laolith

laolith Well-Known Member

too many 10.9s could shake the earth apart. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. true though, it could cause some big time damage. :blink:

Will

That was a pretty pointless comment if you ask me.

Just one 10.9-measurement earthquake could shake the planet apart. It'd undoubtedly cause tremors and minor earthquakes all over the world and would probably cause several larger earthquakes and volcanic eruptions everywhere as well as tsunamis and the like. The world would basically be plunged into chaos.

insanechica007

insanechica007 Well-Known Member

agreed.

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

Or me.

I just could ever see that happening, though. But then again, If I'm not mistaken, we're on the Ring of Fire or whatever so...yeah.