Violence in videogames

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Stick N move, Sep 19, 2005.

?

do you think violence in games create violence in the real world?

1. definetely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. think not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. no way

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    Stick N move

Stick N move Well-Known Member

i know this has been posted before.. but i have project at school about this subject, and i would like to see your opinions about it.. tell me anything about your opinion..

(is this has been posted already, i'm sorry that i created this topic, and i can be deleted right away)
    thanks

Ronin

Ronin Well-Known Member

personally, i think its the parents. they are the ones buying these games, and are not even reading the labels. they should read the warnings, read a review, or maybe even play the game.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

My parents never bought me a game ;) But the parents should look at what their children are playing on the PC or consoles.

Stick N move

Stick N move Well-Known Member

well... my parents never bought me a game.. except sometimes for my birthday.. but that was when i just asked one..

my parents never cared what kind of games i played.. and i also play violent games like soldier of fortune. personnally i don't think it creates violence. it is also an opinion.. when some kids go play soldier, and shoot at eachother with imaginary weapons, should we call that violence? or just playing with eachother?

i like lots of gore and blood in videogames.. it adds something, but in real life i really don't like guts and stuff.. blood is OK, but bone sticking out, or watching surgeons on tv, no thank you..

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I guess it pretty much depends. There are people who's mental capacity cannot differentiate between reality and video games and they think that what they do in video games, they can do in real life.

But...I don't think that video game violence necessary leads to violence in reality. Parents should take control of what their kids do. Especially if the child has a history of being violent or maltempered (if thats even a word)

Ronin

Ronin Well-Known Member

:D Thank you!

Wiard

Wiard Member

Why are people always whining about this. Games certainly don't create violence. When you turn on your tv you see blood and guts flying all over the place. So tv also "creates violence", but I never hear anyone complaining about that. People who do things in real life that they've seen in a game or on tv are just fucked up in the head.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I did a research paper stating that video games do not cause you to be violent, way back in 11th grade. Got an A on it, but wish I still had it because I'd post it since IMO, and in my teacher's opinion, it was really good.

Anyways, to sum it up, no, they don't cause you to be violent. Any sane person can seperate fantasy and entertainment from the real world and knows right v.s. wrong. They know that although its OK to kill as many people as possible in a certain game, that it's not OK in real life, there are serious consequences, and thus, don't do it. As for the people who are not mentally sane, then no, they probably shouldn't be playing violent games, but there's a lot of things they shouldn't be doing, like interacting with society if they're that mentally unstable. I've played my share of violent video games, and I'm not violent because I'm sane

Also, no game is a simulation of real life or a good practice tool. The Columbine shooters did not get good by playing Half Life. The DC Sniper did not get good at sniping people by playing GTA. The 9/11 hijackers did not learn how to fly a plane into a building from MS Flight Simulator. There is a huge difference between using your PS2 or Xbox controller, or your keyboard and mouse, and using a real, actual gun. First of all, there's the obvious dfference. You dont hold your controller like a gun. Second, there's a weight difference. A PS2 controller is much, much lighter than a sniper rifle. The controls are not the same. You don't push the X button to fire a real machine gun. Then, theres the physics which most games don't account for completley. In a game, when you zoom in on the sniper rifle and shoot someone real far away, the bullet ends up where the crosshairs are. Now, I've never shot a real sniper rifle, but I have had several physics classes. When shooting a bullet across that long distance, gravity will pull it down. So, if you're aiming for someone half a mile away, you aim for above where you want the bullet to end up. So when all these people were bitching that we need to pull games off the shelves because they train criminals, they're flat out wrong.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

I definitely do not believe that video games cause violence in the real world. I repeast myself on this subject i know but hey. I think that to act out anything you see in a video game you have to be pretty screwed in the head. I mean, you can act out your favourite moves from Tekken or whatever but these weird people who shoot up their schools because they saw it on a game? They're pretty messed up in my opinion. Theres no-one to blame for this 'video game violence' besides the people screwed up enough to believe they're 'cool' when acting it out.

Video games aren't real. End of. They have no effect on society

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think it can cause real violence, but the people who let it influence them are usually sheltered, idiots, or both. It's been said hundreds of times before but most of the stories you hear should be more focussed on that fact.

thatrsdude

thatrsdude Well-Known Member

Millions of people around the world play videogames and aren't violent. If someone's turned violent from playing a video game, then you have to ask waht's different about their case. And that would be what's to blame. They would obviously have some kind of mental problem, so you should work out how to help those kids, you don't censor videogames and the expense of everyone else who hasn't done anything wrong.

Blaming video games for real life violence is like arresting an innocent bystander because it's too hard to catch the crook.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

It's the person's own fault if they turn violent because of video game play. Most of society knows the difference but there were definately mental problems with the kids who shot guns at school. Video games don't cause violence.

Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

I'm not sure it cuases violence, i think it desensetizes you, wich is a bad thing. After you play games, watch movies, and listen to music with huge amounts of violence, I think it makes it so you're tolerance for it goes way up. I personally fine violence MUCH more offensive than sex. I don't want to see some guy's leg blown off, but I don't care if there is a boob on TV.

To me, the censorship is really fucked up. To me, its opposite of what it should be.

thatrsdude

But desensitising wouldn't be a problem if people didn't have mental problems. I'm desensitized to lots of violence, but have I killed anyone? No. You also have to remember that some people are naturally more capable of withstanding stuff than others. If people are capable of thinking up the ideas in the first place, then of course violence can't always be due to desensitizing. But you do have to draw a line somewhere I suppose.

Censorship is a necessary evil. That's why I support a liberal censorship system. It still sucks though.

D_A_V_I_D

D_A_V_I_D Pure Pwnage

Todd

I don't support any censorship system. I do support parents taking some god damn responsibility for their children and if they have the slightest doubt that their kid is all there in the head, they don't buy him violent games.

linkinpark_ben25

linkinpark_ben25 In Your Face!

you gotta have violence

grand theft auto: fairyland aint excactly gonna ctach on is it.

or

elfhunt

you gotta have violence or the gaming world would be limited to the games it could make

thatrsdude

I don't support any censorship system. I do support parents taking some god damn responsibility for their children and if they have the slightest doubt that their kid is all there in the head, they don't buy him violent games. [/b][/quote]
    But how do parents always know if a game's violent without something to tell them? I personally couldn't give a rats arse if we didn't have a system, but I suppose there's no harm in having consumer advice so people know what they're in for.

Todd

But how do parents always know if a game's violent without something to tell them? I personally couldn't give a rats arse if we didn't have a system, but I suppose there's no harm in having consumer advice so people know what they're in for. [/b][/quote]
    The rating system thats currently in place and clearly places the rating and a description of the content on each and every game sold. If a parent chooses to ignore it and buy GTA for their 4 year old son, then tough shit for them. Instead of blaming everyone else, they need to own up to their mistake. And if that kid who got GTA does have a mental disorder and shoots up the school, then that's not the gaming industry's problem. That's the parent's problem.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

The rating system thats currently in place and clearly places the rating and a description of the content on each and every game sold. If a parent chooses to ignore it and buy GTA for their 4 year old son, then tough shit for them. Instead of blaming everyone else, they need to own up to their mistake. And if that kid who got GTA does have a mental disorder and shoots up the school, then that's not the gaming industry's problem. That's the parent's problem. [/b][/quote]
    Many parents may have never known of their children's behavior. Maybe the kids were really good and the parents could see nothing wrong with them and the kids kept the dangerous thoughts to themselves. Parents do have a responsibility for their kids but they aren't mind readers. Hell, I could go shoot a gun in my school tomorrow if there was someone I completely hated and if I concealed my feelings very well.

Yes you could probably say that if the parents were cautious, they could limit kid's gameplay. However they probably wouldn't want to limit it, especially if they trusted the kid. And what's not to trust about the kid who conceals his dangerous intentions.