The Place to Ponder

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Ether, Sep 10, 2005.

Ether

Ether Well-Known Member

I study philosophy right...and I was just wondering if anyone else has ever taken up the study or is doing it at the moment?

I always find I need a place to just throw out random thoughts and opinions...

For example:

Why cant 11 be pronunced onety one?

AND

What do you people think about the 'soul'? Do you think that it is metaphysical, physical, real or non-existent? Also do you think that it is the 'soul' which brings the quality of life and reasoning to a human??

Stick N move

Stick N move Well-Known Member

yeah.. it's pretty strange.. also like this: why is it that teachers teach, and tuners tune.. players play and preachers preach.. while fingers don't fing, and hammers don't ham..

Link04

Link04 Ambient

If you believe "spirit" and "mind" to be the same thing, as the German language does, then you are correct. Reason comes from the mind. The 'soul' is a metaphysical gear to our identity, which is both physical and metaphysical. It works in harmony with our minds and bodies to create who we are.

Ether

Ether Well-Known Member

ROFL thats is so true man.... :lol:

Back to the soul...and Descartes theory to be more specific...

Descartes believes that the soul is a metaphysical entity that does indeed bring the 'quality' of life to the human. He also asserts that it is the soul that allows us to 'think'. But the most interesting point of his theory is that he believes it is the soul that sperates humans and animals. Sure we might both be the same in a physiological state (both have a heart, eyes and all that shit) but animals actually LACK a soul....they dont have one. Therefore he stands to reason that because it is the soul that allows humans to think and be rational, an animal cannot have the ability to think and hence runs on instinct....he refers to them as automatons (animals).

What do people think about that??

Evan™

Evan™ HI! I'm Randy, I'm a Bandicoot Über Member

If you believe "spirit" and "mind" to be the same thing, as the German language does, then you are correct. Reason comes from the mind. The 'soul' is a metaphysical gear to our identity, which is both physical and metaphysical. It works in harmony with our minds and bodies to create who we are. [/b][/quote]
    if that is the soul....then whats the human psyche?

tunnelvision

tunnelvision Active Member

i actually believe animals have a soul, or something of the sort. other wise how can they be happy or sad, which it so obvious that they are sometimes?? if you own a pet you can usually describe its "personality" straight away. you can tell when something is wrong, ie. theyre upset. to me those are all very human characteristics. how could they just be instinct?? when a calf is weaned from its mother, does the cow "instinctively" wail for days?? when you play with a dog, does it "instinctively" yap and jump and leap in ectasy?? you could say they are just chemical reactions in the brain, but if so, what then is so different from OUR moods and emotions?? arent THEY just chemical reactions?? i think the one thing we're missing here is the ability to communicate with animals- if only we could "talk" to them, that would bridge the gap and answer a lot of questions.
    i refuse to believe that animals are "automatrons" or whatever descartes called them. obviously theyre inferior to us as a species, but in many ways theyre still like us. insects, maybe, are automatrons, or a lower form of life from an animal, but there is something that separates animals from insects and i believe it is their soul, or spirit, what gives them their personality and is why we can associate and relate to them so much.

Stick N move

Stick N move Well-Known Member

higher IQ is because you can see more relations in things, animals don't see that many relations for something like language, we relate the word 'tree' directly to that high thing with those little green things on it.

anymals don't see that, but they do see a relation between 'hungry' and food. and if i keep giving them food, they relate me to food, so when they see me then, they will become all excited in getting food.

they have a soul, and think some like us, but they just don't see enough relations for language, or maths or something else..

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think that "eleven" should be "oneteen," as well as "twoteen" for "twelve."

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

I'm in a Philosophy class right now. I should be studying it for my mid term in 2 and a half hours but I am a procrastinator. We have only learned some moral theories and what famous philosophers believe about life. I'm not educated in the questions you are asking so I wont make an opinion.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Every day, I've been pondering my opinion on God increasingly because of the high holy days.

Ether

Ether Well-Known Member

lol I just found a good quote...

'The pursuit of happiness is a most ridiculous phrase; if you pursue happiness you'll never find it' - C. P. Snow

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Did Noah have flood lights on the Ark?

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

^_^

Arhaz

Arhaz ...waiting. LPA Super Member

Why are we able to see light but not darkness? :mellow:

Ether

Ether Well-Known Member

good question....

speaking of darkness and light, I once read a theory that a light bulb doesnt actually illuminate, ie: it doesnt give out light....it actually sucks up the darkness...hence the theory is called 'The Dark Sucker Theory'....lol I think its actually quite kool, makes sense.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

ROTFL.

That's a joke. Not real.

Boo

Boo Guest

Why do we pronounce the word 'food', but the word 'good' sounds different even though it is spelled with the same vowels. The english language is so friggin wierd.
    the soul is a belief. It's invisible. If you believe you have soul- you do. the soul is pure and i think that's what goes to heaven when you die.

WHO'S scared to die and scared of death itself?
    Personally, I am NOT scared of death, i'm scared of the pain of dying.

Arhaz

the soul is just a non living yet completely existent entity, which defines a human, it is invisible, hence needs a outer structure that takes forms as ourselves. why do we talk to ourselves? it is because the outer body translates the happenings and surroundings which one experiences externally to a language which the soul and the being which possesses it alone can understand. no human is immortal, but every soul is. the created extrenal body can be destroyed, but the sould can't. it's something that will face youth forever.

B)

Evan™

Evan™ HI! I'm Randy, I'm a Bandicoot Über Member

interesting.....

Arhaz

interesting..... [/b][/quote]
    isn't it wonderful how basic facts interest us but the false lies don't even come close to amuse us? :mellow: