unlimited bandwith

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by minor park, Oct 7, 2005.

minor park

minor park Banned

how do you get this kind of bandwith ...cause i would love to get this kind of internet..i was thinking do you get it from verizon dsl or something like that

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Impossible. There is a limit to download speeds. Plain and simple. There never will be an infinite download speed.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Yeah...it's unlimited. Right now, I think the fastest internet connection you can get residentially (and for a decent price) is 8mbps down. Believe me, I know ;)

minor park

minor park Banned

what company is it?

and todd i was talking about unmetered bandwith

Todd

what company is it?

and todd i was talking about unmetered bandwith [/b][/quote]
    Are you talking about a webhost or internet connection, because there are 2 different definitions of bandwidth:

Webhosting bandwidth is the amount of data transferred, this can be unmetered/unlimited and does exist. Say the LPA transfers 20 gigs worth of data a month. We used 20 gigs of bandwidth. Some hosts set a limit and charge you for anything above that limit, others give you unlimited bandwidth. But, see my note below about this definition not really being bandwidth ;)

Connection bandwidth, which is what I thought you were talking about due to the mention of DSL, is your connection speed. Like my 3mbit cable connection means I have 3mb of bandwidth. This can not be unlimited or unmetered. There is a finite limit to an internet connection's speed. There are some that are gigabits a second and thousands of dollars a month, but there is no such thing as an unlimited connection speed. This is the true meaning of the word bandwidth.

And to be honest, the first definition of bandwidth, the web hosting type, really isn't bandwidth. Bandwidth is specifically defined as "A measure of the capacity of a communications channel. The higher a channel's bandwidth, the more information it can carry", or the second definition, connection speed. In laymans terms, bandwidth is the amount of data a connection can hold at a given second, such as 3 megabits/sec. But some moron in the hosting industry decided to call the amount of data transfer over a period of time "bandwidth" and thus, it's a wrongly used term. People make IT guys like me cringe whenever they say "My website used 40 gigs of bandwidth this month!" It should be "My website used 40 gigs of data transfer this month!" ;)

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Bandwidth, when referred to by web hosts means data transfer.

Unmetered bandwidth is when you can down/up as much as you want. Metered is when they throttle your connection speed or cut off your service when you've hit the cap.

If you live in Canada, Bell Sympatico DSL has unlimited bandwidth. Rogers cable, however has a 60gb cap per month, which isn't bad.

minor park

minor park Banned

ooo i live in new york and i have my other computer in california so does anybody know how i can get this unmetered bandwith(or gigs)

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Buy The highest connection out there residentaly and get a super awsome computer, with firefox, and your set, you'll be able to download as fast as the companys( Or hosts) Can send out.

Then again, i could be wrong

Todd

there is no such thing as an unmetered internet speed

minor park

minor park Banned

but its out there how do you get it

thanks maverik68 ^_^

Todd

No, it is not. Trust me. I study this stuff every day in college, and not to brag, but I know what I'm talking about. There is a finite limit to a connection speed. The extremley fast internet connections, we're talking about gigabits a second, will costs tens of thousands of dollars each month to get in your house.

BTW, maverik is wrong. Most of these servers he's talking about have the internet connections I mentioned above that put out gigabytes and cost thousands. No residental connection can top that or even come close. Most residental connections are 3-5 megabits/second. Server's connections can be 3-5 gigabits/second if not more. A fast computer and Firefox on your residental connection will not come anywhere close to being as fast as the fastest internet connection in the world or any connection used by a server datacenter

Sylvaron

Sylvaron Member

Unmetered is impossible as he said. I use a 3mb/sec cable connection. A satellite T3 connection is about as high as you'd be able to get without being rich to be able to pay for the more expensive ones. And T3 is dang expensive.

Todd

Just for reference, internet connection types and their speed:

Code:
    OC-255   13.21 Gbps
    OC-192   10 Gbps 
    OC-96   4.976 Gbps 
    OC-48, STS-48  	2.488 Gbps 
    OC-36   1.866 Gbps
    OC-24   1.244 Gbps 
    OC-18   933.12 Mbps 
    OC-12, STS-12  	622.08 Mbps 
    OC-9   466.56 Mbps 
    OC-3, STS-3  	155.52 Mbps
    CDDI, FDDI, Fast Ethernet, Category 5 cable	100 Mbps
    OC-1, STS-1  	51.84 Mbps
    T-3, DS-3 North America  44.736 Mbps
    E-3 Europe  	34.368 Mbps 
    Category 4 cable  20 Mbps
    Token Ring LANs  	16 Mbps
    Thin Ethernet, category 3 cable, cable modem	10Mbps
    E-2 Europe  	8.448 Mbps
    T-2, DS-2 North America  6.312 Mbps
    Standard ADSL downstream 	6.144 Mbps
    DS-1c   3.152 Mbps
    E-1, DS-1 Europe  2.048 Mbps
    ADSL, T-1, DS-1 North America 	1.544 Mbps
    ISDN   128 Kbps
    DS-0, pulse code modulation 	64 Kbps	
    U.S. Robotics x2 modems, 	56 Kbps	56flex
    56flex, x2 modem communications rate 33.6 Kbps
    V.34, Rockwell V.Fast Class modems 28.8 Kbps 
    Level 1 cable, minimum cable data speed 20 Kbps
    V.32bis modem, V.17 fax  14.4 Kbps
    modem speed circa early 1990s 	9600 bps
    modem speed circa 1980s  2400 bps
    OC-255 is the fastest internet connection out there. Has a finite speed of 13.21 gigabits a second. It might seem like it's unlimited, and anything on that connection is faster than anything else in the world, but there's still the technical limit.

edit: I stand corrected. There's OC-3072 which is ~160 gigabits/sec. Very fast and it seems like it's unlimited, but again, it isn't. There's a very high finite limit to the speed.

minor park

minor park Banned

ooooooo thats cool...... so how do you get OC-3072?

Sylvaron

Sylvaron Member

You realize how much that would cost a month, right?
    No way you could afford it.

Edit: Just did some research, OC-3072 isn't currently out. It will be in a couple years. So it is the fastest, but is not available at all.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

AND...

Not to mention, its for the huge ass coperations only.

Would cost.. Oh, if not more then 30k a month, then it'd be pretty much useless to haev unless you running like, 500 servers at one time

Todd

Cough up thousands and thousands of dollars each month.

Just give it up already. The fastest you can get is cable or DSL. That's about as fast as you can realisticly get.

minor park

minor park Banned

Cough up thousands and thousands of dollars each month.

Just give it up already. The fastest you can get is cable or DSL. That's about as fast as you can realisticly get. [/b][/quote]
    i know that bro.im not that stupid all i was just day dreaming of the fastest internet.....also i was thinking how fast of internet do you guys need to host your mp3s?

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Having speed that fast is useless, servers you download off don't upload near as fast, so there's a certain point where using the net with that speed becomes overkill.

minor park

minor park Banned

thats true...but is dsl/cable good enough to host your mp3s

p.s i think its not good enough..but thats what i think ..i might be wrong