Mike's Progression

Discussion in 'Side Projects' started by tremulant, Oct 9, 2005.

tremulant

tremulant Well-Known Member

granted we've only heard 3 songs.. but im sure from them (and their 2 vids) we can get a good idea of what FM is about and what the Rising Tied will sound out..

IMO the 3 songs are following a unsettling formula when it comes to Mikes verses; they're slow, not deep, and his rhymes (to me) arent so great as his old stuff..

dont get me wrong, from the start i was a huge Mike fan, he was actually my lyrical idol because his imagery and flow really spoke to me.. also his deep emotional stuff is powerful. Songs like Forgotten, Dedicated, Esaul, Part of Me, And One, High Voltage and any of the Xero songs really prove his talent as an MC.

Does Fort Minor live up to his previous works?

(IMO) no

at the start when all we had was a 20 second loop on an FM splash page, we all thought FM would be huge..

He digressed from LP for the main reason that it didnt let him branch out and LP confined him to a certain context and subject matter.. He wanted to go to his roots and at the same time create the image that he wanted for hip hop..

By that i assumed that we were going to here some quick spit rhymes like his Xero days, just instead of the guitars he'll replace it with more amazing samples and beats which he has easily proven himself in his work..

his imagery has gone from

"a land where the sand is made up of crushed up wax, And the sky beyond you is krylon blue... And everybody speaks in a dialect of rhyme
    And emcees have left materialism behind them"

to

"Listen, you are not ready
    Like children in a building
    You can't stand steady
    It must be the beat so heavy
    Causin panic attacks like a crack in the levy"

SoB's lyrics seem to me more creative than Mikes

I dunno, i have alot of respect for Mike.. but i really didnt expect this from FM.. Like when i play Step Up or It's Going Down to my friends i see their eyebrows raise.. but now when i play Believe Me or Petrified to them.. people are unphased because it just sounds like the rest of Mainstream Hip Hop..

(my rant is over) :teehee:

anyone care to add/disagree?

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

from what i've heard of FM, i must agree,there is nothing that makes you say "Holy shit, Shinoda's awesome" where as dedicated did.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

I'm not going to say what I think based on three sounds that sound different from eachother. The single are always the weakest when it comes to lyrics.

The production has been ace.

I'm going to wait until November 22nd until I make my judgement.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Paul took the words right out of my mouth.

The production has been ace. And I will wait until November 22 to decide whether FM shows a progression from Mike.

Somehow, you are too quick to criticize, tremulant and saunderitos. 3 songs may seem like a lot to show (sometimes it is), but it isn't. All of Mike's previous stuff was Linkin Park material (at least a huge majority if I'm wrong). Mike's stuff is Fort Minor. This is rap. Not Rap Metal.

I think he's made some major progression, from only hearing 3 songs. But maybe the other songs aren't as good. Hopefully, they'll be great. But Mike's lyrics are all the same in Linkin Park songs. ahe's taking it to a whole new level with Fort Minor.

But we'll have to see.

Mushroom Cloud

Mushroom Cloud Well-Known Member

I agree with paul...but I also see where your coming from...
    on one hand....Mike is producing music that is different from what we are used to...which is a good thing.....but like you I could care less about that....I care more about the lyrics and the flow....which I have to admit have been weak in these three songs.....
    It could be that Mike with these three songs is trying his best to promote SOB and is giving them the lime light instead of showing off.....which would be a good thing...however that is very doubt full....I hope to god that we get some tracks with some better lyrics and flow on the rest of the album.....because mike has already proven to me that he can span to different genres of sound......now I want to see his skill as an MC....which he really hasnt done yet with what we have heard so far......but like paul said...I cant judge until I hear the album..

if the album is good......I hope the choice of the single doesnt hurt the sales of it....because I dont think alot of hip hop fans are going to care for petrified or beleive me that much.

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

no,im just voicing my opinion about the songs released, i just dont think that they are spectacular,get off my back jackass

Louis

no,im just voicing my opinion about the songs released, i just dont think that they are spectacular,get off my back jackass [/b][/quote]
    Calling me a jackass, eh? See, I would play hardball with you, but we all know about getting warned for flaming, don't we? Maybe I should report you.

And just to let you know, I wasn't on your back. I was also stating my opinion on the matter.

Some advice: Watch what you say.

tremulant

im sorry, i didnt reiterate the fact that the album hasnt come out yet, thats a bad on my part.. im just talking about what i am hearing at the moment..

i know the seperation of rap and rap/metal.. what i was trying to say was that (thus far) his rap/metal verses seem alot more creative and skillfull.

Yes you're right, he only really could talk about one thing when he was with LP but he really pulled it off and almost hid that fact.. I assumed that with this huge freedom and opportunity, he could blow us away..

Also I did kind of talk about his talent in producing.. im totally hooked on the beat to RTN :D ... and i cant help but move along to Petrified

i may come off as; but im not quick to criticize.. I have high expectations for this album and as it comes closer to being in my hands and as i hear more from the album... i admit.. im a little concerned :unsure:

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

Calling me a jackass, eh? See, I would play hardball with you, but we all know about getting warned for flaming, don't we? Maybe I should report you.

And just to let you know, I wasn't on your back. I was also stating my opinion on the matter.

Some advice: Watch what you say. [/b][/quote]
    yeh what ever.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Sure he's capaple of something better vocally, but the production on the three songs so far is fantastic. Who knows, maybe he'd rather have a few radio-friendly songs where SoB can take the spotlight.
    And, you know, the songs have hardly been fast pace, so Mike's flow fits fine so far.

tremulant

yeh what ever. [/b][/quote]
    play nice B)

Louis

im sorry, i didnt reiterate the fact that the album hasnt come out yet, thats a bad on my part.. im just talking about what i am hearing at the moment..

i know the seperation of rap and rap/metal.. what i was trying to say was that (thus far) his rap/metal verses seem alot more creative and skillfull.

Yes you're right, he only really could talk about one thing when he was with LP but he really pulled it off and almost hid that fact.. I assumed that with this huge freedom and opportunity, he could blow us away..

Also I did kind of talk about his talent in producing.. im totally hooked on the beat to RTN :D ... and i cant help but move along to Petrified

i may come off as; but im not quick to criticize.. I have high expectations for this album and as it comes closer to being in my hands and as i hear more from the album... i admit.. im a little concerned :unsure: [/b][/quote]
    Well, at least you didn't take what I said offensively like saunderitos. I wasn't really upset at you. I just was pointing it out. You've made a good point though.

tremulant

^_^ i know you werent upset hehehehe, i just didnt want to be misunderstood

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

yeh what ever. [/b][/quote]
    Grow up. Calling someone a jackass only proves that you're not as mature as them.

And for the record, Mike's lyrics HAVE been weak on the songs we've heard so far and I will be greately disappointed if his lyrics dont step it up on songs like Kenji and Right Now etc.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i think its way to early to pass judgement on his work.

i mean theres like a whole bunch of tracks we havent heard. on the tape and on the cd...

iam going to wait for november the 21st before i say anything ^_^

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

Grow up. Calling someone a jackass only proves that you're not as mature as them.

And for the record, Mike's lyrics HAVE been weak on the songs we've heard so far and I will be greately disappointed if his lyrics dont step it up on songs like Kenji and Right Now etc. [/b][/quote]
    he dissed me for voicing my opinion,in which i was talking about the >>THREE SONGS RELEASED<< not the WHOLE album. How can be quick to judge about music i've listened to for hours in a row.

personne

personne Member

Me, I love songs and videos that I know about FM. I am fan of LP but when I come on the forum of FM, at the beginning I expect something else, and I'm not disapointed. At last, no hip-hop videos with nice cars and pretty girls. And the rythm of the music is very good. Nice work, i can't wait november 22nd to know all the album. I think next LP's album will surprise us.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

he dissed me for voicing my opinion,in which i was talking about the >>THREE SONGS RELEASED<< not the WHOLE album. How can be quick to judge about music i've listened to for hours in a row. [/b][/quote]
    Because you're not a damn expert, so chill the hell out.

Personally, it irks me how Mike can kill on It's Going Down and the live Styles of Beyond medley (his verses were original) but flat out suck on Believe Me and Remember The Name.

We know Mike is better than this so that's why we're pissed.

Watch Kenji be another Breaking The Habit (aka a completely overhyped song with unfortunately cheesy lyrics.)

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

Because you're not a damn expert, so chill the hell out.

Personally, it irks me how Mike can kill on It's Going Down and the live Styles of Beyond medley (his verses were original) but flat out suck on Believe Me and Remember The Name.

We know Mike is better than this so that's why we're pissed.

Watch Kenji be another Breaking The Habit (aka a completely overhyped song with unfortunately cheesy lyrics.) [/b][/quote]
    You actually being serious when you said that?
    I'm not a rap expert so i cannot judge what i think of the songs when i hear them?
    If i'd just seen the lyrics or just heard the beat i could understand why people would think i was quick to judge,but after i've heard the frigging song. :mellow:

Gaara

Gaara Banned

The currently released songs are meant to be radio / tv singles, so it figures they are a bit less heavy, i think the full album will feature some hardcore rapping from Mike & friends.

Petrified and Beleve me are more party / radio oriented songs, like always with rappers, the good songs never make it to TV / radio.