Dream Theater

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by FickMyDuck, Oct 14, 2005.

FickMyDuck

FickMyDuck Member

Anyone heard of this band before? If you haven't, you should really really really really check them out. After LP, I turned to Metallica, then turned to Dream Theater. They're my favourite band right now. If you're into metal, progression, virtuosity, or any combination of those 3, you should listen to some of their songs.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

yea i really love them. they are an amazing sounding band and especially the guitarist, he is one of the best i have seen. my favorite album by them is train of thought. get that if you don't already have it.

stonedmonkey

stonedmonkey Member

I like Dream Theater a lot too. If you haven't already, you should check out their guitarist John Petrucci's solo album Suspended Animation. It's got some really good tracks on it. Oh and their last album Octavarium's great too!

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

The only album I have is Octavarium but I have a lot of the other songs on my PC. Legends.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Now enter, the local DT pimp, Odaton :p

Yeah they're probably my favourite band right now and I have to say if you are into rock and metal thats smart, technical, and kickass at once, wait no further! I have all their albums except for some live releases and fanclub stuff, and its hard for me to think of a DT song that I would classify as "filler" or "mediocre", they're just all good. For those of you who like metal stuff I would recommend Train of Thought or When Dream and Day Unite or Awake, for those who like more "softer" songs I would suggest Falling Into Infinity or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and for a kickass mix of softer and heavy material I suggest Octavarium, Scenes From A Memory or my favourite: Images & Words. For those who don't want to miss out on a classic song get the A Change of Seasons EP for their 23-minute track of some of the best music ever.

They have a great singer with amazing range in James LaBrie, one of the best, most versatile and talented guitarists in John Petrucci (check out his solo CD like stonedmonkey said), John Myung as one of the most underrated and rock steady bassists in metal, Jordan Rudess as the sickest keyboardist ever with an incredible imagination...also there was past keyboardists Kevin Moore (the original, probably the best songwriter/lyricist of the bunch) and the quirky Derek Sherinian (cool sounds but too much ego); and finally Mike Portnoy as the legendary award-winning drummer thats one of the best in the business.

I've seen them live twice (including one performance in September) and they are as amazing as ever. They are currently touring again in Europe and will hit NA again in Winter 2006 so keep posted on that, I'll post the dates on this board.

Come to me if you have any questions or anything about DT, im your man. B)

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

That's the shortest post I've ever seen you write on Dream Theater, Odaton. :lol:

Dream Theater are great. I must be in a mood for their music though. I don't listen to them all the time.

Methybrea

LOL Mark. I don't have too much time to post on boards, as my post count compared with the amount of time I've been here shows, but when I post I make sure its worth it. :lol:

And yeah like anything prog, you gotta be in the mood.

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

I love Dream Theater, but thrash > progressive metal, in my opinion.

stonedmonkey

stonedmonkey Member

Wow Odaton you really know your stuff!! I saw Dream Theater here in Chicago at Gigantour last month, they were great! I've covered songs by them before too with my band...namely As I Am and Fatal Tragedy. They definitely are a great band and unique in their own way. I forgot to mention James Labrie's solo album as well, that was pretty good.

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

That's why i haven't taught you about death metal yet, boy :lol:

Dream Theater are indeed legends. Awake, Images and Words are great, and i really dig Train Of Thought too. Octavarium is really mediocre, though. I prefer DT when they're playing heavier stuff :p

Methybrea

Thanks! Yeah, they definately kicked ass at Gigantour, and stole the show from Megadeth (they still performed great, btw).

Wow! You can play Fatal Tragedy?! How can your guitarist handle that solo? Its probably one of his hardest...Petrucci didn't even nail it on the live DVD I have of him playing it (the Metropolis one).

Also, check out Jordan Rudess's "Rhythm of Time" if you like a crazy fusion of genres and keyboard sounds. And Mike Portnoy's work with Transatlantic is a must hear for prog fans.

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

But of course, Nevermore were the highlight :p

Methybrea

But of course, Nevermore were the highlight :p [/b][/quote]
    Yeah they were great too, Phantom Duck, here is how I'd rate the bands there from best to worst:

DT (gods...)
    Symphony X (kicked ass like usual)
    Nevermore (really impressed, Jeff Loomis is the man! Vocalist a bit over the top for me tho)
    Megadeth (good but not as good as the above)
    Fear Factory (good show, they did part of "Walk" so they gained my respect :p)
    Dry Kill Logic (meh..)
    Life of Agony (yuck!)
    Bobaflex (entertaining but thats it!)

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Odaton, I'm looking at Neal Morse's line-up, wow! Some DT and Hackett, nice!

Methybrea

Oh yeah, it should be great! And not to mention Roine Stolt, I would say as talented as Steve Hackett or better, one of my all-time favourite guitarists. If you haven't listened to the Flower Kings, Transatlantic, the Tangent, or Kaipa do so now and hear his awesomeness on guitar.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

:ohno:

stonedmonkey

stonedmonkey Member

Thanks! Yeah, they definately kicked ass at Gigantour, and stole the show from Megadeth (they still performed great, btw).

Wow! You can play Fatal Tragedy?! How can your guitarist handle that solo? Its probably one of his hardest...Petrucci didn't even nail it on the live DVD I have of him playing it (the Metropolis one).

Also, check out Jordan Rudess's "Rhythm of Time" if you like a crazy fusion of genres and keyboard sounds. And Mike Portnoy's work with Transatlantic is a must hear for prog fans. [/b][/quote]
    Oh yeah definitely Dream Theater were the highlight for me too! Symphony X weren't too bad either. Oh yeah my guitarist did it pretty well...but then again he is a big Dream Theater fanatic, even did his own cover of As I Am, playing every instrument lol. I'll check out that Jordan Rudess stuff you were talking about, I'll still watch Live at Budokan from time to time just because it still amazes me as to how tight their performance was!