necroposting

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by ROFLcopter, Oct 14, 2005.

ROFLcopter

ROFLcopter Well-Known Member

can someone please explain this rule to me. ive read the rules in newbie camp..... but just can quite get it..

what i see as necroposting now is someone that posts to a old topic....

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

an old topic that is older than 30 days. I dont post in it, but I dont see why the rule is there :lol:

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Its there because there's no point of a thread existing if it hasn't been posted in for a long time. I don't think XVZ gets the idea :lol:

ROFLcopter

yeah. the necroposting rule is stupid.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Its there because there's no point of a thread existing if it hasn't been posted in for a long time. I don't think XVZ gets the idea :lol: [/b][/quote]
    There's no idea :lol: If you have the same opinion on a subject, you have to make another topic about it?

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Necroposting is when you post in a topic older than 30 days. We'd rather not have someone revive a thread three years old just to say it was "cool." Completely redundant.

Unless you've got something that hasn't already been posted before to say, you're better off not posting in old threads because you get rediculed for it (for example, XVZ). So go ahead and post in old threads, it just makes you look dumb to the rest of the forum, and if you're fine with that, well... then good for you but that doesn't make it okay to break the rule.

It's not a rule against bringing opinions, but the whole concept of a message board is to think before you post. The whole idea is to discuss, yes, but if there is relatively nothing behind your reason for posting, then what point is there to give you the satisfaction of seemingly late reactions...? Seems pretty pointless to me.

Don't like it? Well I don't think the rule is going to change coming from someone who necroposted with a pointless post to begin with... :lol:

If you want to continue to debate it, well... I give you the example of XVZ, really. I mean, despite our warnings towards the user about the necroposting, they've still done it and to what avail? Well, the first example used to show how necroposting makes you look.

Think the rule is stupid? Fine, but it won't be the last thing called a name rediculing IQ capacity, I can tell you that... :whistle:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

yeah. the necroposting rule is stupid. [/b][/quote]
    If you don't like it, no one's forcing you to stay.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

If you don't like it, no one's forcing you to stay. [/b][/quote]
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

yeah. the necroposting rule is stupid. [/b][/quote]
    well it's not stupid because if it was stupid then there would be no point haveing that rule.

Derek

well it's not stupid because if it was stupid then there would be no point haveing that rule. [/b][/quote]
    Bottom line is, if you bump a post that hasn't had replies for months or even possibly years it's a nuisance. All forums have a dont bump old topics rule, and if you can't realize why bumping a thread from say..2003 would be annoying, than you're purely an ignorant person.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I can understand not bringing a 3 year old thread back simply to say "I like this thread, it's cool."

But, I've always thought the necroposting rule was a little overboard. Personally, if there was a thread that I was interested in, let's just say for instance, a "Post your favorite Musician" topic, or something of that sort. Now let's say that thread is a little over a month old. Personally, I would rather put my opinions on my favorite musician along with everyone else's; in that thread. I'd rather do that than make a new thread, just because the other one is 35 days old.

So, I guess I agree with the rule when it pertains to extreme cases, such as whatever happened with a three-year old thread or whatever. But other than that, no.

Kæton

Like I said, there is leeway towards posts that are a few days/probably a week over 30 days, but it's the relevance of the post that is our concern. If you're posting in a thread 30+ days old and you relatively have nothing new to contribute, then you're just opening doors to copycat posts meaning if you post something is "cool," then it starts a domino effect which would be quite odd if you think about it... Having old posts with new... It makes the forums look messy and can be considerably confusing.

I think we have always accepted topics to be rediscussed on subjects if there were valid points (reason) to be brought back up. Again, I point towards the whole idea of posting on a message board: Think before you post. In my opinion, if you're just going to revive a subject with a new topic just to say the song was "cool," or anything to that effect without going into some thorough detail, then you're relatively not contributing. You're posting, yes, but not posting anything new or anything that will actually continue a discussion.

Examples:
    Bad - "Search Google."
    Good - *posts actual information*

Bad - "Cool." or "Haha" or *repeating an answer already given*
    Good - *an answer with thought that expanded beyond two seconds*

Yeah, not the best examples, but you get the picture. As long as you have a relatively good reason to bring back the subject in any way, then you're good to go. I think as moderators, we also close duplicates/necroposting because that limits the amount of mockery that could happen after it's been done.

The whole concept of "necropost" is basically a "dead topic." That means that no one has talked about it in awhile. Now unless you were strapped to a rock without a computer for 30+ days, then hopefully you understand how much time has gone by since the last post and that other forum members will have higher expectations for what you say. It's been obvious that some members don't take too kindly to necroposters, so this would be more of a warning than a threat in any way. For me, if you know you're necroposting, you acknowledge it, but try to actually discuss what's already been said, who knows the out come. Other than that, it'd be hard to determine whether you're spamming or actually have something to say, assuming you've actually read the rules.

Finally, the Other Music forum is a good example of how we deal with necroposting. A lot of the time a thread will die about a band and a member will post something new about them or a general thread asking opinions on the band. We don't close those threads because we know that the old one(s) are old/dead and this new one will replace it. A lot of the time, the bands are welcomed to discussion, so fearing that you'll be the only one discussing a band shouldn't be an issue because so far, it seems that many members to react to a large majority of threads posted even if they were discussed before. Again, this would only apply to such threads with an open-ended discussion. In situations where people ask questions on the forum, to revive a dead thread to answer it again when the answer's already been given would be a terrible necropost.

This is just my opinion, the other staff may have another way they view the rule, but this is mines. However like Todd said, if you don't like it, then no one is forcing you to be here.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

If a thread hasn't been posted in for over a month, there are a few things;

-- It's been discussed fully and there's no need to further discuss it.
    -- It's obviously not interesting enough to anyone else if it hasn't been posted in in 30 days.
    -- It's usually the same fool going "cool", or "yeah, i agree". Rarely does someone ever post something meaningful when they necropost. And oftentimes, if they're asking a question to someone, how do they expect an answer on something they said 3 months previous?

We give members the option of creating new threads about subjects that haven't been discussed in 30 days. That cuts down on the meaningless posts and furthers interesting discussion. Most necroposters only post in old topics to bump their post counts up, and they're much less likely to make a pointless thread about an old topic than they are to make a pointless post in an old thread. It's all about trimming away the unnecessary stuff and making this place more manageable.

Going overboard would be deleting threads that are over 30 days old. We leave them there for members to browse back through.

As for anyone who thinks the rules are stupid; we don't create the rules to impress you. Just follow them.

ROFLcopter

hm well - now that i fully understand the nercopost rule, im with it... but just one more question....

why are all the people who break just 1 rule on LPA considered ingnorant by derek hit?

Derek

I've been calling certain people ignorant lately because just as you have shown, they dont think before posting. They make comments that are either rude, uncalled for, out of line or completely unnecessary, all of which make them look ignorant or as if they have a lack of intelligence.

I've called you this several times because all you've done since you've came here is complain. You've protested the rules (whether it be public or through PMs to staff members) rather then spend your time here like every other outstanding forum member..in peace. We do not adjust our rules to cater to a partcular member, rather we expect all our members to appreciate our rules and follow them as such.

Surely you cannot sit here and tell us that you've been the most cooperative or friendly member of these forums. Quite honestly, you've upset us with your inability to agree with us and we hope that from this point forward, rather then contest the way we moderate..that you try to be polite and simply do what we ask of you...

Which is what might you ask? Following the rules.

The Outsider

The Outsider Billy Corgan = God

Okay i thougt it was about posting stuff about necrophelia are something related to that.

Kæton

Now is that a hint towards the idea that you haven't throughly read through the rules...? :lol:

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

The bloody hell? :lol:

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I wonder if, 30 days from now, someone will necropost in this topic.

That would be quite humorous.

Kæton

Eww, don't encourage the rebelious morons. :lol: