the meaning of life

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by xero theory, Sep 30, 2005.

xero theory

xero theory Banned

Who is Chester Bennot? :lol: [/b][/quote]
    thats what i was thinking when i saw that :lol:

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

thats what i was thinking when i saw that :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Chester Bennot is a comedian from the middle ages from long long ago.

And the meaning of life? Well, don't expect to find the answer to that anytime soon.

Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

:lol: Best.Moive.Ever.

Fantas_LP4ever!

Fantas_LP4ever! Active Member

In my opinion, the life is:
    a race against time;
    a way with a lot of obstacules that can be easy or difficult to face;
    to discover ourselves;
    etc.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

the meaning of life is not to have a purpose but to find a purpose.

Intergalactic Christ

Intergalactic Christ Blood On Ice LPA VIP

I don't think there is one. I think it's just humans analysing everything, and making questions which they know they can't answer :p

Holiday

People choose thier own purpose, and if they don't have one, they are lost.

Intergalactic Christ

But what about little kids? One day their purpose in life is to be fireman sam, the next day they want to be postman pat... are they confused in life? ^_^

Holiday

But what about little kids? One day their purpose in life is to be fireman sam, the next day they want to be postman pat... are they confused in life? ^_^ [/b][/quote]
    They don't have a life yet. They don't have all of a brain. For childhood, their meaning is to survive and learn as much as possible. Life is really hard, especially durring the last stages of development (teenage years) becuase they are trying to find what their meaning is outside of getting started.

Intergalactic Christ

They don't have a life yet. They don't have all of a brain. For childhood, their meaning is to survive and learn as much as possible. Life is really hard, especially durring the last stages of development (teenage years) becuase they are trying to find what their meaning is outside of getting started. [/b][/quote]
    Children hardly have to "survive" though. That's what the parents are for, same with every other species.

You have a point, although I still don't think there is a meaning to life.

The Outsider

The Outsider Billy Corgan = God

Am I suppose to give a serious reponse to this question or can I say "Whatever Monty Python made the movie to be as"?

Holiday

Children hardly have to "survive" though. That's what the parents are for, same with every other species.

You have a point, although I still don't think there is a meaning to life. [/b][/quote]
    lol, I'm not sure what you're talking about with that statement, but infants have the highest mortality rate of just about anything. Its only lately that ones that should have died are alive now. Same sort of things go for animals. Infantcy is the most touch and go of any stage in life. One mistake and they die, even just sleeping in their crib or sucking on a bottle. Why do you think mother's with newborns have to work so hard? It is a very big accomplishment to survive.

And you think there is no meaning? None at all? There is no purpose to your life at all?

My first post in here said that the meaning of life is to live...I totally believe that.

The Outsider

The Outsider Billy Corgan = God

lol, I'm not sure what you're talking about with that statement, but infants have the highest mortality rate of just about anything. Its only lately that ones that should have died are alive now. Same sort of things go for animals. Infantcy is the most touch and go of any stage in life. One mistake and they die, even just sleeping in their crib or sucking on a bottle. Why do you think mother's with newborns have to work so hard? It is a very big accomplishment to survive.

And you think there is no meaning? None at all? There is no purpose to your life at all?

My first post in here said that the meaning of life is to live...I totally believe that. [/b][/quote]
    Holiday has a good point

Intergalactic Christ

Oh, I got the impression you were talking about food =)

So, I've been thinking all night about this (I love a good debate =/) and I've come up with a sort of answer.

I can understand what you say about the meaning of life being to live, and that has, in most cases, always been the instincts that animals and humans have, to live. However, there are always going to be some people who are depressed, suicidal, and feel that they have nothing to live for, and sometimes they will kill themselves. That means that these peoples purpose in life wasn't to live, it was to die.

Another theory I had was that you live to help other people to live. In the cases of some people who are going through trauma, whether it be depression or illness, will be determined to live to look after families, or not let their families hurt by dying. Also, most jobs are ones which help people, such as teaching, doctoring, public services, the list goes on. Some people (like me, I want to teach) will take up these jobs to help other people. But, others kill people, which is not helping them to live, it's being greedy.

Greed, every human has a bit of it somewhere. Killing others is "greedy" in the sense that you're doing things for your own benefit, which don't necessarily help you to live. Some people also see suicide as greedy. Another but: there are always going to be people who are selfless, people who will but themselves on the line for other humans (or more often than not, animals).

So, my conclusion is that you can't slap 1 purpose on every single human being. Therefore, there is no purpose to life, because it wouldn't apply to everybody. (I'm speaking in general terms here, because that is the question asked by the thread starter, I assume)

Another point of view now, talking more numbers than human qualities.

Take the size of earth. Compare it to the size of our solar system. Compare it to the size of the milky way. Compare it to the size of the universe. It's possible that there are other universes out there. So think of the immense size of what is out there. Then look at the size of us humans. We're practically pinheads in an emormous, fluffy carpet.

In this sense, there is no real reason to why we are here. Even if we damage the earth, blow ourselves up, whatever, it isn't going to have a huge impact on the universe. We don't serve any vastly important purpose on earth, we're just here because that is what happened thousands of years ago.

Hope I've explained my point enough ^_^ I got out of bed specially to type this up :)

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

But what is the question?

According to Monty Python...

" Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations..." [/b][/quote]
    Hahaha I <3 you and Monty Python.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

124 definitions of life

I don't know what life is. It can treat you good one minute and bad the nest. To me life is just...life