Your stance on guns, depression?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by sickcycle, Oct 5, 2005.

sickcycle

sickcycle Well-Known Member

I just wrote a paper for school on one of there given topics, didnt really like any of the topics so I closed my eyes and picked a random one, and I got guns. So i pulled something out of my ass and did some research and came up with this paper, I havent turned it in yet, because I just wrote it, will go back through and edit it torrow, but I just want you thoughts on the paper.

A Tale of the Gun

For protection, for love, for quenching the undying lust for revenge that one may have, a gun is simply a tool; but the hand that wields it, is what chooses its purpose in life. Many pose the argument, take guns out of the hands of people, and outlaw them, and murder rates will drop; giving way to a better tomorrow for our children. However, I give an opposite view, for all those who say that gun violence in America is climbing to epidemic heights and that our Second Emendment right should be thrown out; are simple failing to see truth in its entirety.

In 2002, there were 30,242 gun deaths in the U.S, over 17,000 of which were suicide related, that’s 56% of all U.S gun related deaths [Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2005.] This horrible but true statistic shows just how many people in the U.S alone die from gun violence, what’s worse, we seem to be using guns not for protection of personal vendettas, but rather suicide, most likely caused by depression. In researching topics of depression, I found that the demand for drugs like Zoloft, Paxil CR, and books to treat depression symptoms in this nation has grown dramatically in the past three years.

Depression affects about 18.8 million American adults or about 9.5% of the U.S. population ages eighteen and older in any given year, and about 15% of which will comment suicide. In the argument to take away guns from public use, this statistic shows that even in the case of a gun free America, the number of current deaths caused by guns would still be in existence, but in another form. If a person is depressed to the point of taking ones own life, they will do so, be it a gun or some other form of macabre release.

The problem as I see it is not in the gun itself, but in the person that wields it, a gun is not evil, a gun does not hold a grudge, but does provide a person with an easier way to carry out what is on his mind. But to take away our right as Americans to own and bare arms is not only unconstitutional but illogical. The fact of the matter is, criminals break laws, if we outlaw the right for a citizen to arm him or her self, then a majority of law-abiding Americans would be without protection, when the criminal who still has a gun breaks into their house, how are they to protect themselves?

To say that guns violence is not a problem in America is an outright lie, but the solution to the problem is not in the banning of firearms. What I would recommend is buckling down on how easy it is to obtain a gun, stricter laws on even what type of gun a citizen should have: for example, why sell someone a sub-machine gun that lives in the city, what purpose would it serve? There are better alternatives to this problem, but what people need to realize is, human nature is a sin-nature, the root of the problem is the person, not the weapon.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

pretty good man

like it ^_^

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

guns don't cause crimes, the people buying them do.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Guns don't kill people, the people who give them guns, say oh, the NRA, kill people. Well, they somewhat do, with all that bullshit about everyone has the right to carry a gun or whatever.

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

I agree with that.

I just believe that a person who owns a hand gun for "safety" will use it unwisely. I think everyone has the right to own one only if they go through many class sessions and lots of training before they can own one. And I'm not talking about one class and a test. I'm talking about many hours going into the education and resposibility of owning a gun.

EDIT: I'm talking about people that apply to get a gun permit.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

"now, students, this is how you own a gun.."

:wth:

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

That's an excellent essay. That is so true.

HM-UNDERGROUND

HM-UNDERGROUND Well-Known Member

We need gunz, lolz. It's not the gunz that do the hurt, it's person holding the trigger.

I'm surrounded by gunz, my family works for the police and my dad's some state officer meaning he has like, 5 differ gunz.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Guns is spelled with an "S" ;) .

linkin park 101

linkin park 101 Shhh! If You're Quiet I'll Show You A Dinosaur

i'd have to agree

Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

:lol:

Excellent essay, btw. ;)

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i don't think it is true about teens being depressed and shooting people. i have major depression and i don't really feel the need to kill anyone (but myself). now schizophrenia (paranoid) is a different story.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Welcome to my world...

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i know people with schizophrenia. some of them are the sweetest people i have ever met.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

Guns don't kill people; people kill people.....

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

And guns make it much easier for people to do that.

That's like saying ovens don't heat up food. People heat up food.

Yes, it's the person's choice to heat up the food, but using the oven is sure easier than blowing hot air from your mouth onto the food until its warm.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

"Guns aren't dangerous. In fact, Jesus and Moses used guns to combat the Egyptians."

cece13

cece13 Well-Known Member

I think that there should definately be stricter gun control laws... or guns should just be completely banned.

I hate hearing " guns sdn't kill people,people kill people" bs
    yes people do kill people. people w/ guns kill people. I think that there'd be less violence if the guns were banned in the US

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I agree with the guns don't kill people; people kill people idea. The problem is that that can be used for anything though. What I mean is like, a world leader could nuke a country and someone supporting the nuke would say that nukes don't kill people; people kill people. So I guess that this post has become void.

Although there are times when I think to myself that I want a gun for protection and as a way of scaring someone away.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

i think there's a positive and a negative side on owning a gun
    positive: you can protect yourself
    negative: you can hurt innocent people with it
    the people who buy guns are trying to protect themselfs and they're falimy or whatever but i think it's dangerous selling guns to who ever comes into your shop. Let the police handle the protecting ...

great essay btw