Death

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Ether, Dec 18, 2005.

Ether

Ether Well-Known Member

Ok this can be the place to discuss anything and everything on death.

Firstly I will start off by asking why do people fear death? (as I dont) Is it basically the fear of the unknown?

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

yes. fear of the unknown. but at the same time it is like an addiction, i constantly think about it.

Ether

Ether Well-Known Member

I find the unknown rather exicting. It is the oppotunity to learn and experience new things that I had never ever considered. Why be so afraid? It has to happen one day.

rosanna

i know but it's not like you can change it if you don't like it, and that is what is bad. what if it really is nothingness and there is no heaven...then everyone has the same fate. or are you supposed to live your life trying to go to either heaven or hell, or are you predestined to go to either one? and what is the criteria? there are too many variables in this to just let it go. i honestly don't want to die. i can't stand dead people. they scare me. i think i said this before, but they scare me because they are empty shells of what used to be, and i think, what is the point of living if you only have that to look forward to?

Linja

Linja Good. Be magnanimous. Über Member

What's that quote?

I'm not afraid of death, but I'm terrified of dying.

I think that's it. It applies pretty well.

Edit: That said, I'm also afraid of dying without having done any of the things I want to accomplish before I'm gone.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
    Ether

Ether Well-Known Member

It is the anticipation of death that humans find painfull. Maybe we can change it, we dont know because we havent been there. Maybe we are dead right now and life begins when we leave this life. So death in this world is actually birth, hows about that?

tremulant

tremulant Well-Known Member

so you're basically insinuating that there is an afterlife.. the majority of the world believes that life begins after death.. none the less it still comes down to the unknown...

as for myself... im scared to die because i have so much to live for, i guess when i am older and my life is complete, ill be ready to face the unknown

rosanna

or it could be like a karma thing, doomed to live the same life over and over until you get it right.

now that is scary.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

I fear I will lose all my memories, good and bad. I never want to lose the memories of my friends, family, first kiss, and all the fun times I had in my life. I may have bad memories as well, but I don't want to lose them either for they helped me realize my faults and learn from my mistakes. I'm not neccessarily afraid of how much it will hurt, or anything of that matter, but merely the fact of what will happen next.

rosanna

there's this saying that you're never dead as long as your memory stays alive in someone. what if there is someone who never made that much of an impact on someone else? were their lives wasted? should they never have been born? is it better that they are dead?

Intergalactic Christ

Intergalactic Christ Blood On Ice LPA VIP

I see it as when I die, I'm not going to be around to fear it, so why should I fear it now?

The only thing (in regards to this) that I'm scared of is being killed, but that's because I like to live my life. It's also human instinct =/

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

No. I'm not afraid of death.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

People sometimes fear death because they don't want life to end. They do not want to lose memories of good times and moments. People also fear death because they are afraid of what to expect after they pass away. Is there a heaven? Is there a hell? Is there an afterlife? Or is there pure nothingness? These are questions many ask themselves. I ask myself this question from time to time, but I'm pretty sure there's nothingness.

I'm not afraid of death. It's something we all have to accept. You are born, you live, and then you die. That's life.

Also, people are afraid of death because of how they'll die. Will they be killed? Will they die of illness? Will they die of old age? If so, in their sleep? It's a lot to wonder about.

Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

For some reason I want to die. Not in a suicidal way. Not right now...but in the future. I'm interested because I want to know what comes next! I mean there's so many different theories about what comes after we die...I suppose I just want to find out who's right! Am I alone in this?!

rosanna

yeah i kinda felt like that, but not anymore. but i sure as hell don't want to live for the rest of eternity either. i don't know. i go back and forth, i guess.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Nopes.

I am really curious what is next and I really don't mind if I would die in 1 year. Positivily that is.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

My take. When you die.. nothing. There's no point worrying about it because as soon as it happens, it's not like you can go "oh shit, my memories are all gone, everyone's gone, people will never talk to me again"

Ether

Ether Well-Known Member

so for most so far it has been that they fear the way they are going to die. As I said before the anticipation. This shows me great depth into Epicurus' knowledge on death.

Here is one of my favourite quotes from the great man himself....

"...when we are, death is not come and when death is come, we are not."

So why stress over something that is out of our control. Maybe the best thing to do is live your life while you have it and not contemplate the thought of death. But having said this, I for one cannot stop thinking about it because I find it so interesting. But I dont fear it or the anticipation of it.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

When I die I would like it to be fast and painless.

But I like Intergalactic Christ's thought. That when you die, you're not going to be around to fear it, so why fear it now?

rosanna

because. people have had near-death experiences, my great uncle did, but what he said makes no sense with my lack of religion. maybe whatever you believe is what happens to you. something different to every person.

and then there are the people who they think are dead and really aren't and end up getting buried alive. that would suck so bad, i don't even know how to put it into words.

i think i am more scared of the anticipation of death than actually being dead because when i am dead, like you guys are saying, i'm not going to be complaining about it. like pain. i am not scared of pain, just the anticipation, and when i actually do get hurt, well it didn't hurt as bad as i thought. like getting a shot. maybe it's kiinda the same thing.