Car Modifications

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by JJ, Jan 19, 2006.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i noticed that there isnt a forum about this type of thing, so i thought i'd make one.

iam not sure about you but iam car crazy - i love mine to bits. i also enjoy 'doing them up' or modifiying them. i have only ever had the one car after i passsed my driving test last year. i work at Halfords which sells most things for any car to be honest. so i find it very hard not to add bits and pieces here and there, its a slippery slope because nce you start you can always find maore things to do to your car.

iam not sure about insurance in the US but here in the UK its crazy expensive! i decided to modify external stuff without doing aything to the engine, to keep the insurance low as possible untill i gain some experience on the road and keep my 'no claims bonus'. so basically iam trying to make the car look better without doing much to it and not going over the top at the same time and making it look stupid.

the car i've got is actually a Ford Ka - i wasnt interested in getting a Punto or a Corsa because most people have one when they have just past.

the first thing i had to change was the cassestte deck in the car. i dont see the point in manufactures putting them in cars anymore. so out it came and i got myself a Sony CDX 7500 cd/mp3 player put in. that might not mean anything to you guys so i got some picture lol

[​IMG]

now i can listen to my tunes!

then for my birthday last year my uncle bought me a subwoofer... the one he got me wsnt the best so i took that one back and paid the extra to get this JBL GTseries sub and amp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now this wasnt the end of the sound system lol. now i had these banging beats comig from the boot you couldnt really hear the sound up front so i got a bargin deal on some door speakers. i upgraded from the orginal 25w speakers to the new 50w speakers :)

[​IMG]

that was the sound system taken care of. so i then went on to get some 15 " multi spoke alloy wheels for it. they are Fox R4's and i must admit they suit the car really well. i did try and put 17" wheels on but the car has been in a bump in earlier life and one of the back wheels didnt fit - it kept on rubbing. but nvermind these 15"'s are perfect.

[​IMG]

now with the car looking and sounding excellent i needed to change a few more extior things.... see this is what working at Halfords does lol.

i got some lexus lights to replace the old bog standar 'red' style ones

[​IMG]

seen as though the car was silver and now the rear lights are now silver/white i changed the side repeaters so they are clear too.

[​IMG]

now thats the outside take care of too....

now i change a few daft things on the inside. i took the old gear knob off and replaced it with a momo F16 gear knob. i did the same with the pedels, i took the rubber coatings off and drilled some sparco peadels on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats me done for the time being - i hope to do a few more bits and bobs to it but its almost done.

Intergalactic Christ

Intergalactic Christ Blood On Ice LPA VIP

I know zilch about cars, but those look snazzy! Got a picture of your actual car? My dad used to do up cars as well, he had this really beautiful white and blue Mustang at one point. He never, ever finished some of them though.

And as for driving the actual thing, I can't remember: do the pedals go (from left - right) Clutch, brake, accelerator, or the other way round?

I'm sorry, I know nothing about cars at all :)

I should do. My father, works as a breakdown recovery driver, and has licenses for everything from busses to ambulances. My mother though, I'll sum her up in a text she sent me yesterday: "I've reversed the volvo into the garden wall." Either way, I can't wait to start driving.

JJ

your right about cluch brake accelerator lol

i do have pics of my car i just cant find the lead to attach my camera to the PC lol i think its in my room or in the car haha.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Hmm, lets see, what do I have on my 2004 Hyundai Tiburon....
    Pioneer MP3/CD head unit
    Sirius Satellite radio (starmate replay tuner)
    Alpine 4 channel amp
    Alpine type-s speakers in front and back
    Stock subwoofer
    Injen cold air intake
    RRM front strut bar
    Viper 2 way alarm system with remote start (R/S is the shit in winter)
    Other miscellaneous crap that I can't think of right now

hoping to add an exhaust and rims sometime soon. And I'd love to do an auto to manual swap, but it's expensive and I still have 8 years left on my powertrain warranty.

linkinpark_ben25

linkinpark_ben25 In Your Face!

Woah.. im loving those light..

And can i just ask... how much was the sony player?

linkin park 101

linkin park 101 Shhh! If You're Quiet I'll Show You A Dinosaur

Those parts look very impressive

Todd

So in the UK, if you add engine modifications to your car to make it faster, you have to notify insurance for them to raise your rates?

In the US, your insurance rates are based on several factors (car's power in stock condition, type of car, your age, driving history) and you're free to do whatever the hell you want to your car without having to notify insurance

JJ

thats right yeah... not good at all

@:Todd - sounds pretty good, infact i bet it sound awesome! i love alpine stuff :)

@:linkinpark_ben25

my cd player retails at £249.99

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...logId=10151&productId=193837&categoryId=31445

i dint pay anywhere near that though.

with me working at halfords i have first look at the bargins. i had a 50 pound off voucher. plus sony changed the stereo a little (it now lights up blue, mine lights up red) so i bought the 'old version' for like £99.99 which is like the price of any other cd player lol

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

Yuck, I drove a 92 Mustang with a shift kit on it, worst thing to drive.

JJ

i thought a mustang would be the 'best' car to drive ever

Todd

I hate Mustangs. If you gave me one, I'd take it straight to a Nissan dealer and trade it in for a 350z.

JJ

i see - well anythings an improvement on a ford ka, so i would probably drive anything with a big engine :lol:

ultramar

ultramar Well-Known Member

So you finally going to bother getting round to putting some pics of it up JJ?

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

you should get a skull for a gear-knob :lol:

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

The only "mod" I've done to my car is put 2 12" Alipne Type R subs in the trunk. Oh! And I replaced my headlights and foglights with better ones! :lol:

JJ

i've got them here waiting to be uploaded... but my commy is being a bitch and wont let me

ultramar

ultramar Well-Known Member

lol damn your your 8 year old computer!

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

those are some pretty sweet additions you've made to your car. very nice.

but i'm not big into car modifications that don't actually improve the performance of a car. but i'm from an area where people think that adding rims to a car will make its acceleration and miles-per-gallon better, so that's probably why i don't like those types of modifications. my friends and i are more into performance so we get into what's under the hood more than what's on the outside of the car. but after we toy around with the goods we move to the outside. looking cool is just as good as performing well.

Todd

My reasoning for not spending on performance is this: St. Louis sucks. Traffic every-fucking-where. Eleventy billion horsepower is useless because the second you get going, you'll be stopping again. Now, Sirius radio, aftermarket speakers, aftermarket headunit and an aftermarket amp are very useful in traffic. At least when you're sitting there not moving, you can enjoy music.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

oh. don't get me wrong. i realize improving performance in some places is pretty dumb and won't work at all. but where i live the only thing people care about is bangin' speakers, shiny decals and ridiculous wings that don't help the car's performance at all because they're 27 feet off the back of the car. there's really no "traffic" around my area so improving the performance of a car would make more sense than just throwing a type-r sticker onto the quarterpanel. but i do agree that music is very important and is the difference between a drive-by shooting and just being pissed at the car in front of you. haha.