Vocal audition next weekend. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by lpjordy, Jan 28, 2006.

lpjordy

lpjordy Well-Known Member

I was just talking from one of my friends back from where I used to live and he says he's trying to get a band together but has no singer. I'm a (want to be) singer trying to find a band. This is like the greatest thing that's ever happened to me.

He says it's a hardcore/punk band, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips? I plan on going in with some Green Day, Good Charlotte, and some LP to audition with. I've never really sang my best in front of anyone except my ex gf and it was some old Green Day. She said it was good, but when I sing I tend to copy the voice of whoever is singing. That's bad right? lol

Anyway, if anyone has been in my situation and has any helpful tips, please share.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The first step to becoming a lead vocalist for a band is not singing Good Charlotte in your audition.

If it's a hardcore/punk band....you might want to try singing some hardcore/punk music.

And don't worry, hardcore/punk bands usually don't require alot of talent when it comes to singing.

lpjordy

wow, thanks. I think I'll be fine now (sarcasm) I'm going to go in with something I'm good at and I think I'm good at their songs. This is just what I'm thinking for now. Maybe I'll change my mind. Any suggestions as to what I should take in with me?

Cale.

Cale. Banned

only drink water at room temperature.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I don't know if you're on the same page as this band.
    I mean, they're talking "hardcore" and you're talking Linkin Park, Green Day, and Good Charlotte.

If it's an actual "hardcore" band (I'm terrible with genres, but I think underOATH is "hardcore", and bands like that), then you'll probably do more mindless screeching than actual singing. In these types of music, individuality isn't key, so it's not like you'll really need to stick out to be successful.

Oh, and the most important thing in bands like this is the image. Make sure you look like this guy.
    [​IMG]

or this guy
    [​IMG]

Then you'll get in, and go around the world touring. That's the ticket. That's how music works.

savetomorrow

savetomorrow Well-Known Member

Try to sing a selection from Thrice or some other band that will show off both your melodic and agressive sides. Try to be as dynamic as possible and best of luck man.

lpjordy

Thanks alot. I just wanted to give them my voice range for starts, but I can scream lol. And I do look like I would be in something like that (even though that's not what I'm going for lol).

linkinpark4life_69

linkinpark4life_69 Well-Known Member

wow, this is wierd. I was supposed to have an audition today for one, and i found myself in the same position, even thinking of using LP to sing, before I was listening to thrice in the shower, and was like, Ill sing artist in the ambulance. But ya, im trying out for a band called 13lashes. they have a website on myspace. theyre pretty talented i think, and they have a screamer, they just need sumthing melodic, and I think i can fit that persona...anyways im sick so they said in a few days do it

lpjordy

Good luck :D

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

Wear girl pants.

[/lamehardcorejoke]

Er...You might try something like Killswitch Engage, even though they aren't really hardcore, and you'd best make it sound like your own, because you'd never be able to duplicate Howard Jones' voice.

The other guys are right. They're talking hardcore, which I'm guessing means they like stuff like Norma Jean, underOATH, Throwdown, whatever. If you sang Good Charlotte there, they'd kick you on the spot.

And, you should work on coming up with your own style of singing, screaming, or whatever they'd plan on having you do. No one likes a rip-off.

Edit:Sorry if I'm too late.