Danish Cartoons Make Mockery Of Muslim Religion

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Luke, Feb 5, 2006.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Source: BBC.co.uk

Its absolutely dispicable, who the hell allowed them to be published?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
    Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Its not dispicable. It's called satire. It's a joke that these people can't seem to take. Every other race and religion has been mocked in some way or another and no one's bitching. In fact, I have a feeling that 99% of the Muslims in the world were fine with the cartoon, I bet some laughed. Its the 1% that's really pissed, and the people who are really pissed need to grow the fuck up.

Luke

Valid point however there are riots going on all over Europe because of this...

The fact is that if a country like Iraq or Afgahnistan or Saudi Arabia published a cartoon making a mockery of christianity there would be an equaly big uproar in the western world.

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

the leaders of those countries don't make cartoons. they start holy wars. i think that's worse. i would rather have a cartoon making fun of every single person in the united states than have the world trade center blown up.

i have no doubt that people would get angry, but they need to put things in perspective. just because some people made fun of your religion doesn't mean that you need to go riot and try to wreck havoc on everything. (when i say you i mean anyone rioting, not you as in you.)

Todd

Yeah, there would be, and I would say the same thing to the bitchy christians.

Luke

:lol:

To be honest I exagerated when I said I thought it was dispicable, after all fuck loads of people are always taking the piss out of Jesus etc.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Non-Muslim people shouldn't have to conform to Muslim principles.

Todd

Yep :lol:

[​IMG]

Luke

God will smite you Todd :lol:

Burningsoul

Burningsoul Well-Known Member

Yes the cartoons were insultin to a minority of muslims (like you said many would jus laugh it off) but is it really a reason to set fire to buildings, brag about terrorism and hold signs such as ''europe your 9/11 is comin''..... didnt think so
    Here in england where they havnt published the cartoons muslims are riotin on the street. Hurling abuse, burnin flags, promotin terrorism (a family made their young child wear a hat sayin i love al queda). Whats worse is that one man was wearin a fake suicide bombers jacket and the police ignored him to arrest a citizen with a paper, they feared he would show the cartoon, though he didnt have a paper with the cartoon on it.
    Its rediculous, muslims are allowed into the country and are allowed to continue with their religion, and rightfully so, free speech and expression are what makes a country so welcomin and most Muslims who come into the country are law abiding friendly decent people, its just a shame that a few react in such a sickenin way to CARTOONS that this country didnt publish.
    IMO that minority have jus been lookin for a reason to start all of this..... and reopen the wounds left by the attrocities of 9/11 and 7/7

Luke

I can tell you right now there have been no reports of riots in England.

Burningsoul

Burningsoul Well-Known Member

srry dint mean riots, shoud have said, uproars, people on the streets shoutin abuse, holdin cards, guess demo would be a beter term :p

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think that the picture is really funny :lol: They're allowed to publish the cartoon, because its freedom of speech and writing.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Any image of Mohammed (whether complimentary or satirical) is considered one of the utmost offenses in the Muslim religion. Mohammed is not meant to be idolized, from what I've read, thus why even no positive depictions of him are allowed.

This isn't a matter of freedom of expression, it's a matter of respecting others' religions.

I'm not condoning the violent riots and protests (and don't call it terrorism, because it isn't), but those magazines had no business reprinting the cartoons. Furthermore, the original paper shouldn't have published the cartoons in the first place, but these papers did it for "freedom of expression"?! Give me a fucking break, it was to sell papers, and that's it. Any bloodshed that occurs during this outrage is just as much on the hands of the European companies that reprinted the cartoons as it is for the Danish paper.

Astat

If they can't make a Mohammed cartoon then Kanye shouldn't pose as Jesus and South Park shouldn't be allowed to have a Jesus character in it...etc.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

But that's where the two religions are so different. The situations are different. Why are the two alike, in your opinion? Here's how I see it.

Many of us in western civilization have been so desensitized to things like this that it doesn't offend us nearly as much as it would Muslims. This isn't something where you can compare the two religions, both of them have very seperate boundaries as to what is considered sacrelgious and offensive. They don't hold the same boundaries.

In the Muslim religion, any depiction whatsoever of Mohammed is prohibited. It's their belief, and you shouldn't tie it to anything Christian-related because there's nothing like that. I've also found that Muslims have a much stronger connection with their religion and respective God than Christianity, especially spiritually. Completely disreguarding any respect for Muslims by making these cartoons is a travesty. It would be one thing if it was done by another Muslim, but this wasn't done by one (obviously, for the above reasons).

Besides, the way people deal with things in the Middle East is very different from the way we do things in Western civilization. One can say we're more "civilized" in the way we protest things that offend us because we've been desensitized.

Even as an atheist, if I was to take a Christian standpoint on this, I wouldn't see Kanye posing as Jesus as offensive, and probably alot of other Christians wouldn't either. Do you? The fact that Kanye is also Christian supports the "freedom of expression" argument. But these cartoons, made by a non-Muslim in complete contravention to the beliefs and rules of the Muslim religion are completely disrespectful and despicable. It doesn't mean the violence started after these cartoons were republished was justified, but the outrage is.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Well that's all true but I still think they're a bit overreacting cause the cartoonist apolagised and there was an interview on the Belgian television with two Muslims.
    One of them was in a wheelchair he could walk and he said Muslims can laugh with jokes and cartoons but they just laugh about cartoons where the profet is draw because in their believe the profet is never shown there are no pictures of him.
    Then the guy in the wheelchair said as an example they he can laugh about jokes made about him. He said "Someone once said to me Islam ... Is-lam"
    (i'll translate cause it isn't a joke in english: Is = Is and Lam = Numb) so actaully the person who said that laughed about the guy being in paralized from the waist down and the guy in the wheelchair thought that was funny :S

i've got nothing against them but that's just crazy
    you can't joke about the profeth but you can joke about disabled people ??

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

amen to that

Astat

The point to this is, they set an embassy on fire because of a cartoon. Regardless of how religious they are, that is really blowing things out of proportion.

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

people need to stop being so uptight. it's making the world worse. if it was a direct attack toward one person (not a political figure but a normal person) i could see why that would be wrong. but millions of people are islamic and it is ridiculous to be this angry about it. i seriously doubt the entire islamic community is trying to riot, only the people that are closeminded. they need to get over themselves.

(now that i think about it, this post makes no sense. i had like 8 different thoughts and i smushed them all together. sorry. :/ )