AOL problem

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Friskey™, Mar 22, 2006.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Okay, I have this warning that keeps popping up on my desktop telling me that C:\Documentsandsettings\allusers\applicationdata\blahblahblahetc and so forth is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility. Well i run chkdsk and it doesnt find anything wrong, I run it 10 times and it still doesnt find anything. So I go to the corrupted file itself and try to delete it but it says it can't because the file is corrupt and unreadable. So how do i get rid of/fix this file? Any help? Thanks

LPFMBabe4Lyfe

LPFMBabe4Lyfe Banned

that actually happened to me at some points of time. the only thing is whenever i would go to a website, aol would get a popup error message saying that i would have to restart aol again for it to function right. also i had the corrupted files popup also happen to me. it annoyed me so badly that i litterally uninstalled it and never put it back in my computer ever again.

have you tried to either a)use the aol automatic fixer to fix the corrupted file or b) uninstall and re-install the aol software again?

Anthony

Anthony Active Member

AOL has recently been conflicting with Norton Firewall due to a recent update of some sort. i know this because a certain female friend of mine has been going ballistic at it for some time now. perhaps you should turn it off - if you run it in the first place of course. then patch it up

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

You sure you've done chkdsk properly? As it's happened to me before, the whole corrupt thing, and I enter chkdsk into run, then restarted my computer, it did the whole diagnostics thing found about 8 sectors where unreadable and fixed it.

But then again...AOL? :lol:

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

I've had this problem. What you need to do is uninstall AOL and reinstall it. Which isn't the nicest thing ever but it works.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Easiest way to get rid of a corrupted file (or shitware, etc): Find the folder it's in, remove all the other files from the folder to a backup folder, chuck the folder containing the bad file in the recycle bin (Windows should let you do that), empty the recycle bin...create the folder again, move all the files back into it, done. Uninstall the affected application if needed and reinstall if you want, but if it's AOL (and I hope you're not using that fucked-up AOL browser that's a ripoff of IE, which sucks anyways), don't bother :lol:

If that fails...may I suggest:

[​IMG]

mathew51b

mathew51b Well-Known Member

yeh, i would say, uninstal it, and never install it again...it has so many problems that youll fix this one and i bet you in the next month youll have another problem (or was that just my computer *shrugs*) anyways. hope you work it out

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I suggest switching ISPs

Canadian Joe

I'll second that. I could recommend an ISP, as long as you're not liable to bother tech support with stupid questions :lol:

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

I meant by AOL messenger that had the problem. And since I use that for somewhat important stuff, I just uninstalled it and reinstalled it.

Everything seems fine. And thanks for the sledgehammer Joe :lol:

Canadian Joe

Hah. I recommended that solution to a customer once. He hung up on me.

Poo.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

:thumbsup: