Name & Shame

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Slipping Away, Jun 14, 2003.

Slipping Away

Slipping Away Active Member

Personally, after looking through the site and seeing the name and shame portion i find it very idiotic. For the simple fact is news and other things are all over the web "sources" which you use and which other people use..so even if someone so called takes news from you in escense there not really stealing it cause you guys dont make news your taking it from sources. And other sites that have similar site layouts as to your site are not really stealing it unless its exactly the same. Which from the sites i have looked at look nothing a like maybe layout is half close but colors and other things are none what the same. I just wanted to state my opinion.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

The Name & Shame is not only for other sites that steal news from us, it is for other sites that steal our content and post it as their own, thinking we will not know.

Slipping Away

Yes i gathered other content such as pictures and mp3's, and just cause you have that picture and that mp3 that another site uses why shouldnt they be able to use it, i mean were all bonded here to share in loving our favorite band Linkin Park. So does it matter that much. I mean if they are "stealing" there just doing it cause they desire to become a better site, not cause there thinking about stealing content from your site.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

So stealing to build your site is okay? No, it isn't. If I was starting a computer business, would it be okay for me to go to Best Buy and steal a bunch of computers and re-sell them as mine because I want to build my store and its business? No, it isn't. I see what you're saying, but if we all just took each other's things, LPA wouldn't be LPA and the high status it has. When you steal, you lose respect. LPA wants to be respected and these other websites don't seem like they want to. I may have used a bad analogy, but I hope you see what I mean.

Will

Just read what Jawknee said. He said it better than I ever could. :p

Slipping Away

I see what you are saying, and i under stand that you can inforce people from stealing your content, what i am saying also is that there is no need to make this public through name and shame. Because it seems that the name and shame causes many problems between the sites and has caused a lack in respect from other sites, being called "immature" for having the name and shame.

Will

Name & Shame isn't there for us to glorify our name and make it seem like all those sites are worse than us. A few of those sites are very good and have large fan-bases, but we want our visitors to know that they are thieves and they stole from us and are claiming our content as their own.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

And I'll also add the Name & Shame is so people don't assume LPA stole from these sites but rather vice versa.

Will

Indeed, indeed.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

we also have sites who steal our professional-made layouts, which really pisses us off. and then there's people who direct link to our content, mp3's and pictures and take our bandwidth.

any news we post is found by us, and we reword it and build on it as if it was our own news. that's another reason for the name and shame, we are finding and building onto our news that we find. if you had CNN, NBC, FOX and CBS all repeating the exact same words on one subject as if all shows were linked and scripted, that would be terrible. Each network puts their own spin on the story, and that's what we at the LPA do. When we have our news copied and pasted as if they had written it themselves without any credit (which is besides the fact, they should be looking on sites for news instead of coming here to find and copy it) on someone's site, and they're taking credit for our hard work, it's annoying.

Bottom Line - Sites should find their own news and their own content instead of completely copying LPA. We're just exploiting thiefs who take everything without any effort. LPA does finds all it's content by itself, not by copying other people. We're trying to teach people a lesson to be less lazy, and more thorough with their websites.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

also, the LPA has exclusive stuff :) , so then its really obvious when u see other sites with it

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

As I've said before... Let's make this simple. Let's say it's your birthday and you get something you've wanted for either a long time or really had your eye on. You finally get it, and then someone comes up to you, takes it, and runs off with it. Hell, I think you'll be pissed at the fact someone just came up and stole an important thing. I believe Name & Shame was created to reveal the thievery that goes on within the website world. LPA took measures into their own hands and I would have done the same. Awhile back I was a new but good site until mines failed :lol:. Anyways, I noticed sites started copying my layouts, stealing my lyrics (the set ups were all the same) and my HTML. Before, to catch thieves, I'd use my own personal way of writing HTML, and sure enough, it was EXACTLY the same. I understand where you come from runnerXC, but if everyone were to just take anything that is technically a strive by another person is really just downright rude, mean, and should have a consiquence. Just think of it as the gift ideal I just explained because in my opinion, anything LPA ever gets, posts, or whatever it may be is the RESULT of the hard effort and dedication they have for Linkin Park and the fans of both LP and LPA. Thieves who steal that effort and dedication should be punished for doing such a thing when all they have to do is copy/paste... Which I find no effort or determination in that except maybe working your left and right clicker fingers ;).

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

No the bottom line is why make a website if you steal everything from another?

That's the bottom line. Now I'm usually very recieving of new members, but since you signed up just to complain about our site, I have a good feeling your from one of those featured sites.

Don't sign up just to whine about our site. That's an easy way to get on my bad side, plus it just makes you look very annoying.

We accept feedback, but not if someone signed up just to whine. What's the purpose, really?

Bryan

Bryan Guest

My guess:

*cough*LPW*cough*

elie

elie Well-Known Member

Here's a nice little list for the ignorance of some viewers:

1) "Name & Shame" is actually a much lighter way of pointing out these "guilty" websites. Would you rather have your name plastered on a site with a description of what you did, and easily e-mailing an admin. with an apology and having it taken off, or being sued for stealing content/bandwidth and direct copying of news? I'd take the first choice (if I ever did anything...I don't even own an LP site).

2) Yo momma. You deserved this, you came to whine at LPA with your first couple posts, and i'm whining to you. Yo momma.

3) In this poor kid's defense, LPA isn't the only site with this "proffessional" layout. The javascript used above in the top navigation is available for free at script-distribution sites. But when you take the same images, you're a really stupid webmaster and don't even deserve to take up webspace. Why take pride in your own creation, if it isn't even your own? (this is toward peeps on the Name and Shame).

I'm too busy too waste my muscles typing. Don't let ignorance get the best of you. The "Name & Shame" should be a bandwidth/content/layout's stealing person's DREAM compared to a nice little party favor of "Legal Trouble" and "Law Suits" (which go hand in hand, hehe).

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

There should be a law that states any stealing of bandwidth (or any web related thing) can get you locked up for life :D.

Okay, well, I can dream... Atleast the LPA does what they can to try and stop the thieves >_<.

Slipping Away

number 1 i didnt sign up to complain i was just putting in my word derek that i dont agree with that portion of the site. thats all, thank you to all who took the time to explain to me

Will

You're welcome. :)

Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

we also have sites who steal our professional-made layouts, which really pisses us off. and then there's people who direct link to our content, mp3's and pictures and take our bandwidth.

any news we post is found by us, and we reword it and build on it as if it was our own news. that's another reason for the name and shame, we are finding and building onto our news that we find. if you had CNN, NBC, FOX and CBS all repeating the exact same words on one subject as if all shows were linked and scripted, that would be terrible. Each network puts their own spin on the story, and that's what we at the LPA do. When we have our news copied and pasted as if they had written it themselves without any credit (which is besides the fact, they should be looking on sites for news instead of coming here to find and copy it) on someone's site, and they're taking credit for our hard work, it's annoying.

Bottom Line - Sites should find their own news and their own content instead of completely copying LPA. We're just exploiting thiefs who take everything without any effort. LPA does finds all it's content by itself, not by copying other people. We're trying to teach people a lesson to be less lazy, and more thorough with their websites. [/b][/quote]
    Amen!