Official NBA Playoffs 2006 Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Louis, Apr 27, 2006.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Alright, it's early in the playoffs, but they have begun.

Which team are you going for to win the Championship? Which team do you think will win the Championship?

I'm going for the Phoenix Suns. They got so close last year and they're doing so well this year. The only complication is the Spurs. The Suns, for some reason, never play well with the San Antonio Spurs. So, without a doubt, I think the Suns will pull through against the Los Angeles Lakers, but will probably eventually meet up with the Spurs. I just hope the Suns make it to the Finals. I'd love to see them win the Championship.

And for those of you who don't know already, Steve Nash won the MVP again.

Link

Link lolwut

Thank you. I didn't think anyone else cared.

Nash winning two career MVP's for "team accomplishments" is so udderly rediculous. Shaq's teams win titles, he's only got one. Jason Kidd's teams have done way more, and he never one. Nash isn't a bad player, but there are far more deserving guys. For one, LEBRON FUCKING JAMES.

Mk_Spike

Mk_Spike Well-Known Member

did use guys see my topic in the fort minor thread. It has the official TNT Nba 2006 playoffs video featuring fort minor...check it out

somekid

somekid Well-Known Member

I think the Spurs will pull off another victory. Its gonna be a close one. I expect the spurs to take it in 7 games in the finals against the pistons. I really want Jason Kidd to win a ring. He is a very very deserving player. My team is out of the playoffs so I will go for the Mavericks.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The Suns would not be where they are now if it wasn't for the absolutely amazing play of Steve Nash. He makes everyone around him better, and he contributes himself as well. An example of him making his teammates better is shown by his league-leading average of 10.5 passes a game. He set career highs in points, rebounding, and field goal percentage,and had the league's best free-throw percentage (92.1%). He actually improved on last year's MVP season!

Hell, the Suns didn't even have Stoudamire this year (except for 3 games) and weren't expected to do as well as they did last year, but they have, by winning the Pacific Division title. This was with seven new players on the Suns roster! All the Suns' success can be owed to Steve Nash and his incredible play.

Shaq just has a huge edge over everyone in terms of height and weight. An MVP perseveres, he doesn't just dominate because no one else has the same advantages as him.

Lebron seems more in the realm of possibility. But he's more of an individual accomplisher, unlike Nash.

Louis

Mark is right. Steve Nash makes everyone around him better. He has the ability to see across the court like no one else. It doesn't matter if your team has no titles. The Suns haven't had a Championship title in years. Steve Nash, nevertheless, is still the best player in the league. He has led the league in assists for two years now.

And no, Lebron James does not deserve the MVP. Sure, he's a good player, but the MVP Award is not based on Individual effort. Kobe, on the other hand, was a good candidate for the award, but he's basically the offense of his team. I mean, come on, 81 points in a game?

I think you need to watch Steve Nash play more. He's more incredible than you make him to be.

Link

Link lolwut

Holy contradiction!

How's Kobe a contender and not Lebron? Lebron scores what, 3 or or less points per game. But does more of everything else, and actually makes his team mates better.

I never said Nash isn't a great player. He is amazing. Take Nash away from the Suns though, they still have a decent team. Take Lebron away from the Cavs, you have a 20 win team at best. In only LBJ's 3rd year, they're already a 50 win team. I'm not trying to argue that LBJ is as important to his team as Nash, but he is damn close, plus he is a better player and has better overall stats.

Maybe it's just killing me that Stockton never was even really considered for the award, and here's Nash with 2.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
    Pinkin Lark

Pinkin Lark Prince of Persia.

According to ESPN...Nash already has won MVP. So yea he deserves it. His personal stats is not the accomplishment. The reason why he deserves MVP is he made 7 players have career seasons! 7 players! No other candidate can get close to that. And as for the Suns making it to the Finals...dont overlook the Lakers. This is going to be a very close series. The Lakers could easily steal this series from the Suns. Marion has been struggling against the Lakers all season and thats due to Lamar Odom. That series can go either way. Another series that can go any way is the New Jersey and Indiana series. Since I've been a die hard Vince Carter fan since the beginning Im rooting for the Nets to take it all the way, but realistically its going to be between the Mavs, Spurs, and Pistons. I dont think Miami with Shaq can handle the Pistons (I may be wrong though). I got mass homework, but this should be enough to strike at least a little more conversation.

I LOVE THIS GAME! =)

Link

Link lolwut

Kay.
    Go New Jersey. Carter is a monster.
    I hope that neither SA or Det wins the title. I want change.

Oh, and I purley enjoyed Kobe posterizing the shit out of Nash.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
    越南

越南 Well-Known Member

Hmm its either going to be detroit or dallas. spurs just dont have the punch and excitement that they had last year so i dont think they'd make it.. and for the suns, injuries killed their chances. And i definately dont think that their 3 point shooting will get them far this year without inside offense and defense.

Louis

Watch Kobe play for a while. I mean, yeah, even though he's the offense of his team, his defense is also pretty good and he sees across the court almost as well as Nash. Nash's statistics, though, are way better than Kobe's. He led the league in assists for the second year in a row. Kobe doesn't do that much. But Kobe is pretty darn close. The only real major difference between Kobe and Nash is scoring. Kobe shoots more and makes more, but Nash can set up more shots for more points. That's what makes Nash and Kobe possible candidates.

LeBron plays with more of an individual effort. I've seen him play.

Pinkin Lark

The only thing Kobe and Nash have in common IMO is that theyre MVP type players. But their roles on the team is VERY different. Kobe is there for leadership and scoring. Nash is there to make everyone play better and give everyone the ball. Kobe is the best player (for individual statistics) in basketball no questions asked. Lebron hasnt accomplished anything compared to Kobe, but given if Lebron keeps up his game like this every year. At the end of his career he could be the best player of all time. Only time will tell. But for now Kobe is better than LBJ. Its pure ignorance to say otherwise.

somekid

WOW.. The heat got owned by the bulls.

Link

Link lolwut

No, to say that is just an opinion that differs from your own. You're probably bias anyways, look at your location.

How are the Nets having trouble with the Pacers? Come on.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
    Pinkin Lark

To be honest with you Im not a huge Kobe fan, never was. But I've been following baskebtall since I was a kid and I know who has what it takes to be the best. I respect Kobe for his skills hes an amazing player. Lebron still has so much so learn, as seen in previous games this season Lebron passed up game winning shots. Hes still too young. Give him a few more years and he'll be better than Kobe, and like I said, if he keeps this up his whole career...he will be the best player ever. So there is no bias on my part in anyway possible. He will probably average a career triple double. And as for the Nets and Pacers series...Nets should be winning this series, but you cant count Indy out. Jermaine O' Neal is a monster, Peja can shoot the lights out. Pacers have a good team with the worst luck. Ever since the Artest fight last year, its been nothing but bad news for the Pacers. They have great potential. But I think the Nets will pick up the slack. (I hope)

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

I'm hoping for Detroit. I think Detroit will win, too.

and to put it bluntly, LeBron is the best player in the NBA, but he's not the most valuable.

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

Pinkin Lark knows his basketball and I agree with Mark 100%
    And I think Nash should have been the MVP for the reasons those 2 stated.

As far as picking a champion goes, I will wait until the first round is over because the 2nd round match-ups could throw everything off. But I want to see San Antonio and Detroit eliminated at some point before the finals.

I really enjoy seeing Kobe succeed without Shaq. He's turned into a bigger team player against Phoenix, which I never expected for this series. I thought he would shoot the lights out and average 30+ before the series started and lose in 5 but I have been proven wrong. After watching game 3, the Lakers can win the series. They played extremely well. Better than they have played all season by far.

As far as LeBron goes, he is obviously a beast but he has no experience. Michael Jordan didn't exactly own in his first couple trips to the playoffs. If the Cavs beat Washington, which I expect them to do, it will be a huge step in his career and will gain him a lot of valuable experience he will use for years to come. If the Cavs don't get more help for LeBron, he will just be another Karl Malone and Kevin Garnett (my favorite player). I would love to see him win championships but it's not in the forseable future.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
    somekid

DAMN!!! NICE SHOT!! Wow... that was a good fourth quarter finish and overtime finish. I didnt expect the lakers to win again. That was a fantastic finish.. i have to admit it. I wanted the suns to win

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

That was an amazing ending. Interesting and suprising to me how the expected two-time MVP didn't get any calls at the end of the 4th and OT. If the Lakers win the series, the MVP has to be Kobe. The NBA doesn't announce it for a couple weeks and it's a hard case to defend Nash if the Suns lose the series. But then again, the playoffs don't determine the MVP, the regular season does. It's hard for me to ignore what Kobe is about to do/has done against Nash's team. If the Lakers win the series, my MVP vote would go to Kobe instead of my initial choice of Nash. I never imagined the Lakers would be up 3-1. It blows my mind.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
    Link

Link lolwut

I love the NBA right now. We are witnessing some historic performances this year. Especially Kobe. I really can't believe what I've seen from him lately.