Apple's "boot camp"

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Pilkington, Apr 5, 2006.

Pilkington

Pilkington Well-Known Member

Anyone seen this yet?
    I've just lost all reservations about purchasing an apple laptop, the only thing that would make this even more exciting is a few first-hand reports of demanding games working under windows on a mac.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

Putting Windows on a Mac seems a bit foolish to me. Cats and dogs simply do not procreate together, neither should Microsoft and Apple.

(Yes, I know it's not endorsed by Microsoft.)

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I would think if this happened, Microsoft would take some legal action.
    But if it actually worked, what reason would there be in buying a PC?
    If with Macs you could run both systems.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

just saw it on download.com, at least it's free.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Windows XP is a hell of a lot more stable than it used to be. And macs have some crazy processing power. This would be good for people who render and need processing power

mathew51b

mathew51b Well-Known Member

this could really work well if it worked, but it could fail, and Microsoft being Microsoft would probably proceed with legal action...

but yeh, macs would definetely do well with salesif this happened...and people would be able to game on Windows better.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Win-win situation for Apple. Users buy their hardware, and even if they don't like the XP install, it's still a sale for them.

I wish it'd be that easy to do it the other way around. Right now I'm trying to install OS X on my computer. After some troubleshooting [usb problems] I finally got into the GUI part of the setup. ^_^

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Microsoft Windows for Mac. What the hell? lol. It just sounds wrong.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Microsoft can't take legal action against Apple. This isn't illegal, Apple's doing nothing wrong.

Pilkington

It may even turn out to be good for microsoft (probably only short-term though), because a large number of the "new customers" this would bring will also get a copy of windows as a safety net.
    Mac OS X seems like it can do everything I'd normally like to do, but it'll still be great to be able to reboot into windows if I ever want to play one of my old games, there's so many that simply aren't available on mac. Giving up Discworld Noir and Red alert 2 were the only 2 things I regretted when I compared a mac and another laptop.
    The potential implications for apple in terms of market share are amazing.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Why would Microsoft care, it's making people use Windows MORE if anything.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

good point but the thing is, it's on a mac

Todd

Why thank you captain obvious :rolleyes:

The fact that its on a Mac does not make it illegal.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Imagine how surprised was I today when I noticed Windows XP running on the only Mac (an iMac) we sell... I learned about Boot Camp yesterday and was like, I ain't gonna see that soon :lol: .

It runs really smoothly, some little features (as the iMac's integrated webcam) don't work yet but overall it's like using XP on an x86-based system.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

For sure. That's like saying a Camaro with a Corvette engine is illegal.

Todd

Well, technically, I believe in a very few rare cases, engine swaps can be illegal :p

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Haha. You got me.

Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

The refresh rate on a Windows PC on the same spec was much better, Windows has it strengeths and it has its weaknesses. I would love to dual boot both and I have a mate that has booted MacOS on his Dell Laptop, many have called him stupid, insane or crazy. But I guess you get the best of two worlds.

I personally am a Windows man, Microsoft costs loads yes I know that. But at the end of the day they produce good software, yes I know about the amount of security pathces and updates we Windows users get thrown at us. But I dont mind, even the Mac OS and other Operating Systems have to release more updates. If you think about it Microosft is bound to get more as it is the primary operating system used around the world, thus virus, trojans and spyware software writers are going to base there programs on Windows XP and new Windows Products.

Everyone called Microsoft "Micro$oft" or "M$oft" but they made it big because of there product been popular and good. I find that it is the user to blame in most cases of a Windows computer going wrong or not working. Correct me if you disagree but it is genrally the users fault and bad knowledge of how to protect the computer.

Back to the point, I would love to buy one of the se Mac's and I would love to use Mac OS but there are just some things I cant do with MAC OS so it would be cool to have Windows XP or Windows Vista as a backup.

I agree with many others that have posted pointing out that Microsoft arnt going to care about this, they are going to profit largeley by users installing this and using a License key which is around £100 in the UK. Now that = more Profit and customers, why would they sue when all Apple have helped do is give them more money.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

"But at the end of the day they produce good software"

*buzzer sound* Wrong. Good software doesn't have infinite security holes. Windows has hundreds of security patches released. And there's still hundreds more to come. That's a sign of horrible coding, not good software.

The reason that Windows has a huge market share is because if you go into a computer store, and you find the pre-built ready to use computers, you'll see that all the reasonably priced ones have Windows on them. Since most people just want to use their computer for email and IM, they'll be lazy and use what's given to them for what they think is a good price. Of course, those users are the less knowledged users. They don't know that there's hundreds of security holes in Windows [that are still unpatched] and if you accidentally go to a wrong site [say through a search result] your computer will be rended useless if you don't protect it. Ask someone to name an Anti-Virus program. I'll bet you the first thing that comes to mind is Norton. There's $100(?) down the drain, because they haven't heard that there's free alternatives [eg. AVG].

The reason that Apple doesn't have as much as a market share as OSX is because of their price. They're so damn expensive. But great hardware, and an even greater OS - it suits the price. Just not many people would pay that much [$1k+ if you forget about the Mac Mini for a secound] for a computer which they'll simply use for email and IM. Another reason Apple doesn't have as much market share is because their OS isn't known as much. Of course, now that Apple is dominating the MP3 player market, that's soon changing. More and more people are slowly switching to Apple because they're being fed up with constant security patches that Apple doesn't need [note: OSX has only 2(?) known viruses. How many does Windows have?].

Now, Linux. So many different fucking distrubutions makes it so confusing. But the most popular one right now is Ubuntu. And with the 'Breezy Badger' version, it'll be the simplist install ever [easier than Windows, apparently]. But I've heard that there's many other things you have to do for Linux, like compling applications, etc. so I feel that it's slightly more confusing than the other OSs. But I'm just too lazy to learn right now. Maybe in the future.

Right now, I'll admit I'm using Windows. That's only because I don't have the money to buy a Mac. Hell, if I had the money, this post would be typed from a Macbook Pro, but life's not that easy. Linux, on the other hand, I haven't gotten into yet because I'm lazy and too used to Windows. But right now, I'm working on installing OSX on my computer [good ol' OSX86 project...].

If you give a man who's never used a computer before an Apple, he'll use it without complaining. Give him a Windows computer, same thing. Linux, same thing. They don't know the difference, because they don't know better.

[secound time I had to write out this post. first time I got logged out somehow and lost my post. >_<]

Pilkington

Yeah, I saw those specs. Depends on how intensive you're intending to game I guess, and hardcore gamers are always going to gravitate around windows it seems.
    I personally hate the idea of the whole calling Microsoft Micro$oft, etc, it's always seemed rather immature.