the official extreme metal only thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by HUNG2DEATH, May 6, 2006.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Congratulations, zakrisk! You just won the ROFLCOPTER Gold Star Award for Quote of the Year!

But honestly though, just because Slipknot is somewhat heavy doesn't mean that they are 'extreme'. Norma Jean, old underOATH and older Zao (Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest and Liberate te Ex Inferis. Nobody cares about Splinter Shards...) are a hell of a lot closer to that definition than Slipknot is.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I would say so, too, but if you checked out the band I was comparing them to, who he said was "extreme" metal. Wouldn't you agree that some of the bands he listed aren't TOO much different from Slipknot?

I totally agree that Zao, Old underOATH, Norma Jean, As I Lay Dying, etc, are all much more "extreme" than Slipknot is, but I didn't think it would be fair to include that and then say no to Slipknot just because...I dunno...his screaming type isn't like most hardcore bands? That's what it seemed like to me.

Plus, a little more specific you could have said this thread was about hardcore bands, because that's what you're talking about. Slipknot is a metal band, and I don't know what makes another metal band more "extreme" than the other, but almost every band you guys are mentioning are just hardcore bands.

linkinpark_ben25

linkinpark_ben25 In Your Face!

Neither are extreme metal, its just HUNG2DEATH's view on it..and i have to say, if atreyu are extreme metal then they are the worst extreme metal band ive heard... stay away from extreme metal atryu =D

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

So if there is extreme metal is there extreme pop? And extreme rock? I don't get what makes one metal band more extreme than the other...And I agree that neither of them are in the category that the creator of this thread truely meant. Like I said, it seems like he was talking about the 'hardcore' genre.

a life in ashes

a life in ashes mercury summer

Listen to some Emperor and then you'll know what extreme metal is. and whilst Slipknot are good they're certainly not it...

CoB kick-ass, personal favourite album is Hate Crew Deathroll.
    If you like CoB/In Flames/Trivium etc. then check out Kataklysm(i think that how you spell it). it's like swedish hyper death metal.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I listen to all of those you listed. Again, I believe the genre is hardcore?

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Hardcore was originally a subgenre of punk. Kataklysm isn't hardcore, I just call them death metal.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Aren't Trivium, Zao, Norma Jean, As I Lay Dying, Older CoB, and a majority of the other bands listed in this thread labeled as hardcore bands?

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

As I Lay Dying would def. be hardcore. Hardcore is defined by lots of double bass, especially when it "follows" the guitar riffs which are usually very rhythmic and tend to focus on the open strings. Also, most use very low tunings. Not really a hardcore/screamo/metalcore fan though.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I would say Norma Jean isn't WAAY TOOOO far from Slipknots earlier style.

Rinkin

Rinkin Well-Known Member

A metal band that is labeled "hardcore" means that the band is probably "metalcore". And like Casey said, hardcore is a sub genre of punk, which is correct. Bands like As I Lay Dying, Norma Jean, The Agony Scene, and basically any other band you hear about these days are metalcore.
    Almost any band from Europe is not metalcore.
    Sweden is known for it's death metal.
    Norway is known for its black metal.
    Finland is known just for kicking ass at metal.

Children of Bodom is NOT hardcore. They are speed/power metal with harsh vocals.

www.metal-archives.com is a great site to look up metal bands.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Thanks for clarifying that. Wouldn't "extreme" metal be an opinion anyway? Unless you're naming specific genres, I don't think you can say one band is more extreme than the other without it being your own personal opinion. Unless it's comparing The Goo Goo Dolls to Children of Bodom.

Rinkin

Rinkin Well-Known Member

I think the term "extreme" metal in this topic is referring to the lesser-known bands and the lesser known genres (such as a death metal, black metal, folk metal, etc.). It's just talking about bands like those instead of bands like Mudvayne and such.

Anything on www.metal-archives.com is pretty much an "extreme" metal band.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Okay, so "underground" metal bands.

Anti Hero

Anti Hero Member

I like The Agony Scene alot.

Rinkin

Rinkin Well-Known Member

"underground" bands are included but not all "extreme" metal bands are underground (like children of bodom)

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

Rinkin, keep in mind that Children of Bodom used to be underground for at least ten years.

sort of like Lamb of God, but CoB aren't THAT old. :lol: