Recommend A Band's Older Material

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mark, May 27, 2006.

androidkaita

androidkaita Well-Known Member

Well, The Hypnotize logo looks way cooler than a hand... So that's why.But Darrons voice just Kills System of a Down an dmost of my friends agree. And Link, you brought up great points, Darron is taking over and needs to be stopped. He was only good in songs where he was backup, like in the first two albums, The songs on Steal this Album should have been the limit to his singing.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
    linkinpark4life_69

linkinpark4life_69 Well-Known Member

Blindside and POD's newest albums to me were a dissapointment. I recommend their older material. Go back to POD in like 2000ish, where songs like School of Hard Knock and later Alive and, Youth of the Nation were big with me

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I love Daron's voice. He adds alot to the band, in my opinion. All these Daron haters. Geeze. The contrast between the two voices is amazing. The only complaint I have about Daron's "take over" or more control is the fact that his writing doesn't compare at all to Serj's.

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

Ashes of the Wake WAS my favourite, but it got boring and crappy after about 8 listens. that has yet to happen with ATPB and NAG......but BTP gets boring as well

androidkaita

Well I can stand his voice and I like the contrast, but It would really kill the band if they started making songs like Lonely Day all the time. As I've noticed, all of my favorite System of a Down songs have mostly Serj and are mostly from there old albums. For example, I like every single song on Toxicity except for X and Psycho, and on thir self-titled, I like almost all of them, Same goes for Steal This Album.I agree that Darron is an important part of the band, I just REALLY don't want him to take over.

Link

Link lolwut

I love Daron as well, as long as he quits that wretched wailing and just plays the damn guitar.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Daron will always take over when they feel needed, and they will make the kind of music they like to make. I really like Psycho's guitar solo.

But I do agree with you that I would rather their next album(in about 5 years because of the break) should have mostly Serj, especially in the lyric area, and some screams in the background from Daron every once and a while. But I like the contrast still. Anyway...

Check out The Alkaline Trio's older stuff. Especially Goddammit if you like more punkish stuff and you like The Alkaline Trio's sound.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Man, the forums are moving along rather slowly today.

Killswitch Engage's older material is much better. They're a little too Headbangers Ball-friendly, now, I think. Alive or Just Breathing is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

androidkaita

Yeah, I like the solo, I just hate the song because it's so repetitve and annoying. And it sucks that there taking a break :(

Link

Link lolwut

What's the point of the break? I suppose I should go dig up info about it. I mean, they didn't even release any new material for 4 years before these new albums, right? That ought to have been a big enough break.

androidkaita

No, on system of a down online they have a big article on it.

mathew51b

mathew51b Well-Known Member

Hoobastanks first album (i think...im sure), the self named album is way better than the rest of their stuff.
    Stereophonics' older stuff is much better than their new stuff, like 'Performance and Cocktails' and 'You Gotta Go There To Come Back' (or something along those lines...im tired)
    And actually, on the whole SOAD topic...I prefer the new stuff I think,....or actually its all equal for me.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Thanks!

And wouldn't be suggesting Hoobastanks older stuff be like suggetsing Good Charlotte's older stuff? Or Linkin Pakrs? They've only had 2 albums...I dunno.

KirbyRockz

KirbyRockz Well-Known Member

Hoobastank has 3(5 if you count independent stuff).
    Good Charlotte also has 3
    Linkin Park's had 3, plus LIT and CC.

On topic:

Green Day - Dookie
    Reel Big Fish - Turn The Radio Off!

androidkaita

I think we should just start a system of a Down Topic... I'll do that now.

Link

Link lolwut

Hoobastank has 3 major albums. If you count the newest stuff as a double album, System has 3 major albums(STA was a B-side album or whatever). So it's alright to debate Hoobastank here. Yes, Hooba's older stuff is far greater than the new album.

androidkaita

3 Major Albums? Even if you consider Steal This a B-side, they still have 4 more.

Link

Link lolwut

Self Titled, Toxicity, and Mesmerize/Hypnotise(like I said, I consider that a double album like most people do). Am I missing something? If so, I apologize.

John.

John. i am corruption LPA Super Member

In Flames - Colony
    nine inch nails - The Fragile
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    System Of A Down - System Of A Down
    Tool - Ænima
    Tool - Lateralus

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

Well if you've enjooyed the second album of audioslave(out of exile)then you can safetly buy their self titled first album.Cool and unique guitar playing by Tom M and great vocals by Chris cornell(esp in shadow of the sun).

As 4 SOAD daron's vocals suck.He seems like a kid crying out 4 lollypop(hear Cigaro).As 4 a complete take over,i don't think that would be possible.Serj would be left jobless.