The Postal Service

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Branden, Sep 9, 2006.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Thoughts?
    I've seriously been through every emotion possible due to Give Up over the past few weeks. The album is astonishing. At points so dark and moody, other times uplifting and estatic. Always very beautiful. Definitely in my Top 10 albums of all time. What do you guys think of the band?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Personally, I love The Postal Service.
    Ben Gibbard is an amazing songwriter. His strengths are with The Postal Service, though Death Cab for Cutie isn't too far behind.
    I love all of The Postal Service's songs, though. They're all well-crafted and beautiful.
    "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" and "Such Great Heights" are probably my favorite songs.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
    Hana

Hana i are scientists LPA Super Member

I love them, they are one of my all-time favorite bands. 'Such Great Heights' is the best.

aki*lp

aki*lp LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I should've made this topic loong time ago! I love the postal service, especially the district sleeps alone tonight and such great heights.

Branden

My favorites are District, Sleeping In, Nothing Better, and Brand New Colony.
    I love the rest of the record too though.
    The B-sides record is neat too, and I almost like the Iron & Wine cover of Such Great Heights better than the original.

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The Postal Service is one of the best bands ever. My favorite songs are Nothing Better, Sleeping In, We Will Become Silhouettes, and Brand New Colony. I adore every single song aside from Natural Anthem, and the only reason I slightly dislike that one is because of the weird repeated violin squeak.

I like to listen to Give Up at the start of every long road trip with my mother...she loves them almost as much as I do.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
    Branden

Apparently they're going to start writing a new record or something later this year.
    I can absolutely not wait for that to be released.

Darcy

Oh man, now I'm all excited. I'll tell my mom right now!!

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I like Iron & Wine's cover more than the original. That song is so depressing, it doesn't need to have an upbeat, happy tempo.

I can't listen to this band without remembering the love of my life. So I don't listen to them all that much anymore. It's just one of those bands that have memories attached, you know?

Branden

I agree with your thoughts on the cover, and I know what you mean. I can't really listen to Bright Eyes for extended periods of time because of the same thing.

Darcy

I like the techno upbeat version of Such Great Heights better than I like the cover. Iron & Wine is good too, but I enjoy the slight hint of irony that goes along with the general tone of the original. The music doesn't match the lyrical content, but that's my favorite part. I love it for its imperfection.

But I have good memories attatched to it. It's all very nostalgic for me.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

I'm considered a hypocrite for not liking Death Cab for Cutie when I like The Postal Service, but there's something about the ambience that gets me. Last night, walking campus with a friend, he and I sang The District Sleeps Alone--and campus security asked us for an encore.

Definitely going on my list of best college experiences.

Darcy

I don't like Death Cab very much either, Kate.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

That makes me feel better.

Rinkin

Rinkin Well-Known Member

The Postal Service is one of my favorite bands and I'm really looking forward to this new album that they are going to be writing whenever.

My favorite songs are Brand New Colony, Such Great Heights, and Nothing Better.

And yeah, I liked The Postal Service before I even heard of Death Cab For Cutie and I didn't like Death Cab at first but now I do. I still like The Postal Service more though.