Summer Sanatarium Update

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Cal, Jul 8, 2003.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Mudvayne and the Deftones had the unenviable role of starters, working an acoustics-challenged venue where even the headliners had sound problems. The Deftones' sound suffered particularly badly. Portions of their slower material, notably their hit "Change (In The House of Flies)," were completely lost in murky mass of low-range bass. It was like someone had turned on the world's largest subwoofer and forgotten about all the other speakers. Too bad, because their performance was quite strong.

The sound was improved for Linkin Park, who had most of the crowd to work with by the time they started. Linkin Park was easily the most accessible of all the bands on this bill, given their mix of vintage synth pop melodies and hip-hop rhymes and a generous dose of testosterone-laden distortion. This may not have totally been their crowd (it was Metallica's show), but they elicited a decent response.

Vocalist Chester Bennington appeared to be working hard for those cheers. Bennington hasn’t had much luck with his health on the tour circuit, having suffered a bad recluse spider bite on the band's 2001 tour. On this evening, he looked like he was still feeling the effects of the mysterious abdominal condition that had him hospitalized a mere month ago. He could often be seen clutching his mid-section while belting out his screams, and the beet-red colour of his face demonstrated that he was straining more than usual. When co-vocalist/MC Mike Shinoda worded the lyrics, "erase all the pain 'til it's gone’ on the hit "Somewhere I Belong," you had to wonder if he was projecting more towards Bennington than the audience.

Linkin Park's between-song comments could use a serious revamping. All the f-words and posturing can't make up for the fact that the Linkin Park lads are really just nice boys. Their constant pleas to keep the pit safe, punctuated by a mid-set lull wherein emergency staff helped bail out one ailing pit-goer, reinforced their reputation as the good guys of the heavy music scene. The most embarrassing moment of the night came when Shinoda, after his final request for people to help out others who've fallen in the pit, then promised to "get rowdy on this beeyatch!" Suffice it to say that Shinoda is no 50 Cent.

Leave it to one of the scene's bad boys — Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst — to kick the commentary up a notch, or down, depending on your point of view. Durst needed all the attitude he could muster to make up for the Bizkit's limp set. "We got a new album coming out in this fall," he said at one point. "It's gonna suck, so do yourself a favour and don't pick it up." If he was joking, we certainly weren’t calling his bluff by playing any new material. The only new thing about this show was Mike Smith, the guitarist who has replaced Wes Borland.

The crowd was thus treated to versions of older hits like "Nookie" and "Rollin'," as well as lame covers of Metallica's "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" and The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes." Durst went into the crowd for the latter song, declaring midway through that "this is the best night of my life!" Perhaps Pete Townshend needs to call him up and explain the song's rather unhappy theme.

Amidst brief interludes into songs like 50 Cent's "In Da Club" and Ministry's "Thieves," Durst worked hard to keep the audience entertained. "Is that your best shot, cat?" he sneered at a water bottle-throwing fan who had missed his him. With a head as big as Durst's, you'd think he'd be an easy target. After engaging in some commentary that would've been worthy of Hustler's Barely Legal magazine, he invited up some local "talent" from the crowd to bounce up and down during "My Way." Most rock stars are content to move their groupies backstage, but not Durst. No, he's got to get them onstage and singing off-key with him.

On the subject of bad singing, Durst dedicated the band's version of "Break Stuff" to "Britney ######'' Spears," his purported ex-fling. He then conjured a sizable "#### YOU BRITNEY!" chant out of the crowd. The closer, the obligatory cover of George Michael's "Faith," was dedicated to "all the women who have ####ed over all the men." Does anyone think this guy has problems with the opposite sex?

If you can credit Durst with anything productive, it's resourcefulness. Lacking Metallica's quality back catalogue and with nothing new to preview, he managed to garner an ecstatic response throughout his band's 75-minute set. It was the type of showmanship that earned the Bizkit the number-two billing on this tour, even though Linkin Park now sell more albums.

- Chart Attack

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

:lol:

LINKIN PARK STOLE THE SHOW. F*CK YEAH!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maggot

Maggot Banned

And what about Mudvayne's performance!? :angry:

Magick

Magick Ambient

Haha, that's great. :p

===

Good article; I think they made valid points with their constructive criticism.

Cal

i also read a report on MTV that limpbizkit did really well and deserved the number 2 slot on summer sanatarium, rocking out new songs from their upcoming album, but i dunno which one is lying :rolleyes:

LPxchicaxMKS

LPxchicaxMKS Well-Known Member

thats a really good article..gosh i cant wait till i go!aug. 2 yeah!

Cal

Limp Bizkit are co-headlining the tour with Metallica, and went on immediately before them. "Ladies and gentleman, introducing ... ahh, you all know who the f--- we are!" frontman Fred Durst announced from backstage. Busting from behind the curtains wearing a green baseball hat, black shirt and khaki pants, he declared, "This is not Independence Day any longer. It's Limpdependence Day. I want to show you all that we can let it all fly. Let's take it back to the [Detroit] State Theatre where it all started," he said before cueing the intro of "My Generation."

Mosh pits broke out on the main floor, causing security to flurry. Legions of fans banged their heads to "My Generation" while pumping their fists in the air. Following that song, Durst showed his appreciation for Detroit while laying into a certain pop singer with whom he reportedly had a fling. Then taking a swipe at Britney Spears, Durst dedicated "Break Stuff" to her with an obscene comment. During the song he offered his best Ted Nugent imitation, grabbing a prop shotgun, cocking the barrel and busting a fake shot into the crowd. Fans responded by waving Red Wings jerseys in the air.

Annoyed about not being able to see fans in the back of the venue, Durst ventured onto the main floor to perform several songs, including a cover of the Who's "Behind Blue Eyes."

"They're telling me I'm getting out of control," he said. "Am I getting out of control? F--- it. It's the Summer Sanitarium."

Limp Bizkit debuted songs from its forthcoming album, which was advertised on video screens reading, "New album out in fall 2003."

Aware that his band wasn't the only marquee name on the bill ("We all know why we're here. It's for the kings of metal, Metallica," he said.), Durst concluded his band's set with a nod to the evening's headliners by covering their "Sanitarium," also on Metallica's set list.

Linkin Park MC Mike Shinoda and singer Chester Bennington — the latter of whom only recently recovered from a serious illness that landed him in the hospital — wore black and white shirts, respectively, and vocally faced off like bandits in the Wild West.

After tearing through Meteora's "Figure.09" and "Faint," Shinoda shared his appreciation for the attentive fans: "I feel good about these guys, Chezzy," he said to Bennington.

"Yeah, these guys turned out to be all right," replied the platinum-haired singer, who repeatedly ran the length of the stage, showing no signs of his recent illness.

Mudvayne, whose latest album, The End of All Things to Come, was certified gold during the course of the weekend, kicked off the show with "Internal Primates Forever." Lead singer Chad Gray encouraged those who did not have The End of All Things to Come to get it by any means, including CD burning and MP3s.

- Mtv.com

Maggot

Maggot Banned

Stick N' Move-Thanx alotta man! :)

Cal

Your Welcome ;).

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

ummm...that was posted 2 hours ago on the concert review page.

everyone: for all the concert reviews for every concert on the summer sanitarium tour, go to http://www.lpassociation.com/?p=conrev

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Glad to see that some artists are still supporting MP3's. More power to Mudvayne :D

I think MTV is lying, mainly just to suck up to the acts on the bill. Whatever magazine that first article was from was probably telling the truth, although, didn't Mike say Chester was recovering quite well?

Oh well, I wish I could go, but Tennessee doesn't get alot of concerts...unless country counts as music :shifty:

Maggot

Maggot Banned

December-Hey Limp's are great :argh: !I better put LP on their place cuz they realy suck!but u're right bout Deftones

Will

Did you just say LP sucks?

Maggot

Maggot Banned

Will-He started it! :whistle:

Will

No, you see, they can have an opinion on limpbizkit and Deftones. If (s)he believes that they suck, that's their opinion.

You do not come onto a Linkin Park fan site and start bashing them.

edit I've received permission to warn you for bagging on Linkin Park. We're one of the biggest fansites in the world, we don't want to see "Linkin Park sucks!" everywhere. No, that's not what we're about. If you don't like it then you can leave. Simple as that.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

No reason to warn him, it was my fault. I shouldn't have said that. I'll just edit that out ;)

Oh, btw Will, I'm a guy B)

Cal

sorry for re-posting that mark, i havnt been on the concert page in ages....

and btw

BOTH linkin park and limpbizkit rule B)

Maggot

Maggot Banned

Ok!pardon me!I ment that Link's rule! ;)

lpfan891

lpfan891 Well-Known Member

WHOHOO!!! LP KICK ASS!!!!...... (w00t)...... :shifty: ...