The Athiest Delusion

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Tomi, Dec 7, 2006.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I agree to an extent. I'd focus on the ethics that Religion was invented to categorise people and seperate them from one and other.

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

Nah, religion was invented so long ago people didn't even know how to fool others (which may not be 100% true, but meh). It's how people get the whole "religion" and "church" thing and what they're taught about it that makes it so damn messed.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Woah, he's slagging off Christianity. Give the man a cookie.

There are worse religions, and I'll leave it at that.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Like what?

And please don't say Islam. Christianity has more blood on its hands than any other religion out there.

Dean

Maybe I was wrong in saying other religions (Islam being the main one) were worse, but at least Christian governments don't stone people to death for infidelity and homosexuality, and at least they don't start protesting with placards mentioning how they're going to kill non-believers when someone sends up their faith. Maybe they'd like to, but they aren't at that stage at the moment.

What I was getting at was that there are other religions that deserve almost as much criticism, if not the same or more.

No more from me.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

No, you don't get killed for being gay, you just get killed for not being a Christian.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like which ones? Islam? Sorry, but the deathtoll of 9/11 is NOTHING compared to what Christians are responsible for. Judaism? They're usually on the receiving end of violence. Buddhists? I think they're the only religion who hasn't been in a war.

Funny, that's what every Christianity supporter says when arguing with me. And I'm horrible at debating, but when what you're trying to support has so much evidence against it, you might as well give up.

Dean

Okay, so you got me with the part about protests. But the crusades were hundreds of years ago.
    The reason I said 'no more from me' was because some of my better friends here are Muslims, or from that background, and I didn't want to go too far, so thanks for that. I'm not a christian supporter either, and I've had to say that to you in practically every thread like this that I've posted in, so even if you've just beaten my argument you're still up yourself.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
    Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

=)

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I agree with Todd. Islam itself might not be worse than Christianity.

But keep in mind that the goverments and countries Dean refers to based their laws on Islam, but they go beyond it too.
    Countries like Afghanistan (was), where babies got killed when they were handicapted because they'd dishonor the family and the family would get cut of out the society to live in shame.
    That's just insane!

And come on, the crusades. That's kind of old news, isn't it?
    The crusades were a terrible thing, and it's proof Christianity isn't a better religion than Islam.

The only good religion is Buddhism. It's all about peace and harmony, living a good life and becoming an even better person in the next.
    (I'm not a Buddhist)

In the end, it doesn't matter what you believe in. For me it's all about being a good person and treating everyone equaly. (fixed :lol:)
    That's why I'm an Atheist. I'm not even sure if I want to belong in that category. I just don't believe in any religion.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

The reason why Buddhism is a good religion is because it is not even a religion. It's more of a way of life, a practical philosophy rather than an entity that tells you what to believe.

I know it was a typo, but St0f's comment was hilarious:

:lol:

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

:lol: You know that's not what I meant. Stupid typo.

But if Buddhism ain't a religion than I have no clue what this thread is about. >_<

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

I'm just a little happy Messianic Jew over here whose father is Jehovah's Witness.

I don't agree with half of the shit that religions deal with, so that's why I'm Reform (my mom's side is Reform). I have the Jewish beliefs with the Christianity part of Jesus being the messiah (Messianic, thanks to my father, the Jehovah's Witness). I will go kosher on the high holy days, and I don't celebrate Christmas because it's a crock of shit, as are any other mainstream Catholic holidays.

I'm just going to quote Dogma on this shit: It's better to have an idea about God than to have a whole belief structure based upon it. Ideas can change. Beliefs can't.

...Lauren?

...Lauren? Sadist Sagittarius

I agree with you on the Christmas thing.

meteora_freak92

meteora_freak92 Member

i hate hearing all the debating over religions. i don't even have a religion. I just find it hard to believe there is some sort of god out there. My parents don't have a religion either.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I hate it when people assume I'm an Atheist or Agnostic when I say I don't follow religion. Atheists and Agnostics are specific groups just as much as any religion is. I prefer not to associate myself with any religious OR anti-religious group, period.

meteora_freak92

meteora_freak92 Member

same with me.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

I'd like to make one little point in this dicussion, as I myself am a Muslim and am at a Christian school.

Neither Chrisitianity nor Islam promotes violence. People promote violence when they wrongly interpret sacred texts. This is what an ancient, but great Muslim scholar (Averroes) and another ancient, but great Christian scholar (Aquinas) had worried about, along with thousands of others. In fact, Aquinas explicity based much of his argument for correct intepretations from Aristotle (a pagan) and Averroes. The differences between men that leads to such difficult times arises not from religion, which, in its presumed nature is a perfect creation, but rather from its followers, who need religion because they are not perfect creations.

Religion is not necessarily a bad practice, even for those who do not subscribe to one. All men desire for truth, and whether or not you formally do so through means of a common faith or on your own free will, it is the same intent. So please, let's not blame religion, or a lack thereof, for our problems. I can assure you, there is a much different catalyst.

The Outsider

The Outsider Billy Corgan = God

I think everyone is entitled to what they chose to believe and what they don't. I myself, is not a completely atheist in fact I don't know what I am of what I am called. I believe there is a god, but I don't know who he is and where he lives, so therefore I don't preach.

...Lauren?

...Lauren? Sadist Sagittarius

THANK YOU. Someone finally making sense in this thread.

Besides, why are we talking about religion, aren't we supposed to be talking about a comedy show or something? I can't even remember.

the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

Religion doesn't give you anything to live for. That is a false belief. If anything, it just makes you afraid of the world. You know, you don't need cancer treatment, cause if you just pray a lot, you're saved. Yipee! Trust me, that doesn't work.

See, the bible wasn't written by God. Sure, it's God's word, but it was written down by man. And then translated by man. So the entire thing is just one big fallacy.

When people get deluded by the bible, they lose sight of what's important. God does not exist. He just doesn't. Sometimes I wish it weren't true, and that perhaps there is a plan for the world, but with all the sh*t that's going on in the world, and in my own world, I can't believe it. But, I still have something to live for. See, I will eventually have children, but first I have to learn and live, and when I do have children, I want to leave a legacy, something to remember me by. I want to raise them right. I wish that I could leave this earth better than when I found it, but I feel that won't happen. One reason is religion. The biggest wars in the history of man were based on religion. Millions and millions of people have died for Christianity and for the Catcholic church and every other religion, when in those religion's holy texts it states that killing is a sin.

For me, believing in the existence of God is just irrational...for now.