The Meaning of 'Midnight' & More

Discussion in 'News' started by Omar, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

With the plethora of articles being released today, more information has come into light about Linkin Park's upcoming third original release, Minutes to Midnight. The following are a compilation of quotes and excerpts, with links to the full text below:

On the title of the disc:
    "The title is a reference to the Doomsday Clock, which was created by these scientists at the University of Chicago after the United States dropped the atomic bomb on Japan to end World War II," Linkin Park co-frontman Chester Bennington explained. "Given the idea that mankind now had this ultimate destructive power, they were contemplating what the repercussions of this would be and the idea that the end of the world could be imminent.

On the first single:
    "Joe [Hahn] came up to Mike and I and asked us to take the whole idea of Minutes to Midnight and apply that to how the band has changed. So, in a way, it's us saying goodbye to how we used to be," Bennington said. "The lyrics in the first verse are 'In this farewell, there is no blood, there is no alibi,' and right away, you'll notice that the band sounds different: The drums are much more raw, the guitars are more raw and the vocals aren't tripled. It's just us out there ... and that's how Rick wanted it. Basically he told us, 'If it sounds like it could've been on the first two records, then we're not going to work on it.' "

On the track "The Little Things Give You Away":
    "It's an epic song, but it's also kind of delicate in a lot of ways. There's a great guitar riff that comes in acoustically, and the words really say a lot. And I think that they'll touch people in a way Linkin Park haven't touched people before," he enthused. "And there's a breakdown that's my favorite moment on the record. It's beautiful and timeless-sounding, with this great synth sound ... and Brad [Delson] breaks into this beautiful solo and it just builds and builds and builds until it breaks down into this a cappella section. It's a huge explosion of sound, over six minutes long, and it's truly, completely amazing. And I can't wait for people to hear it."

On the revival of the Projekt Revolution tour:
    "I can't say much about it, but Projekt Revolution is going to be happening this summer," he laughed. "It's looking like it'll start around July 24 and run through around Labor Day, and it is going to be a tour that no one will miss. And in my opinion — as a music fan — it's the most exciting tour that I've seen in a very long time."

From MTV.com

On the nature of the music:
    Minutes to Midnight is composed of sounds made by a practically Arcade Fire-esque array of instruments including banjos, marimbas and vintage guitars and amps. “People have always tried to lump us in with the whole rap/rock stereotype, but we don’t intentionally want to be part of that scene. We’ve always had our own personality and I think it really shows on this record.”

From Rolling Stone

Thanks to Fordmoo and Erica at Rolling Stone!

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

The nature of the music description really sounds interesting. I love The Arcade Fire and the creativeness they bring to the table so hopefully this is true.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

Yeah, sorry guys about making so many threads. Lumping this all into one was going to require more editing (and time) on my part.

Staff: feel free to merge all articles into one thread if ye like.

danielpsoad-09

danielpsoad-09 Well-Known Member

Thank you !

The Little Things Give You Way : :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Away*

This is one of the best news days ever.

"/Shawn08\"

"/Shawn08\" Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome.

Hopefully "The Little Things Give You Away" is as good as they're saying it is :D

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I'm loving every second of this, but for some reaosn I can't get excited as I thought I would. I mean, I am excited but a part of me wants to scream like a teenie, but another part is just cool, and calm, and patient. Just seems everything different, in a good way.

I ruined Meteora by downloading it when it leaked. I'm not going to do the same with this, except the single. So, we'll see.

androidkaita

androidkaita Well-Known Member

SOLO! Yes :p

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

If they've really stepped up as they're saying (like Brad in Little Things), I really can't wait to hear this. Hopefully Phoenix has stepped up from his simplicity as well, otherwise that'd be somewhat disappointing to me to hear.

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

The most exciting thing in this article, for me, was them saying that "The Little Things Give You Away" will be six minutes long. I dont think that any Linkin Park song has been more then 4 minutes, so im really happy about this.

Mon(e)y

Mon(e)y Active Member

a six minute song(w00t) Awesome

EdGreene

EdGreene Well-Known Member

I look at TLTGYA as a song they touted like Breaking the Habit. BTH was an evolutionary step forward for the band, maybe this new song will push them even farther. This last evolution was good, here's to the next one being better.

KrwlngGirlLP

KrwlngGirlLP Active Member

All i can say is : Wow! Wow! WOW!!!:lol:
    This is awsome!!
    *runs around in circles*
    ahhh!! heheh.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Normally, I'd be screaming in sheer excitement on the inside, however that is not the case this time around =S XD my hype's been taken away from Spidey 3 =P.

Anyhow, from the descriptions so far, this album looks to be something that will be really diverse and different. As mentioned before, let's hope a majority of us here will love the 'change', and hopefully it won't be hard for any of us to 'swallow'...

lragnarok11

lragnarok11 Active Member

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey!!! don't be negative about the new album. It's a HOLIDAY celebration for evrybody, that all of this news are amazingly poured out in just one day.

jonah

jonah Well-Known Member

Two more articles:

billboard

And Antimusic

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
    EdGreene

EdGreene Well-Known Member

My god if the CRITICS like it...this could be the single greatest album of ALL TIME!

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

SOLO!!!

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Let us hope so.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

i like the apocalypse reference. pretty crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.