Something I noticed....Is Lp pop now?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lparks41, Apr 28, 2007.

lparks41

lparks41 Well-Known Member

I know it sounds crazy but I've noticed something from the radio. We only have 1 rock station here in Dallas, called 102.1 the edge. The edge isn't even what I would consider a real rock station anyway, it's mainly a bunch of sucky emo trash with an ocaisional good rock song here and there. Our real rock station 97.1 the Eagle went out of business my senior year of high school, which was 3 years ago....When rock died.

Anyways I have heard "What I've Done" on 102.1 the edge, but only a few times, like literally maybe only 3 or 4, but I keep hearing it on 106.1 more and more. 106.1 Kiss FM is a pop station! Haha They never play Linkin Park ever! They usually play poppy souding stuff and if they have managed to play Linkin Park in the past, which they have, they would only play "Numb" and thats it, nothing else...

So just wondering, is it like this everywhere or just here?

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

Numb would be considered as a 'pop' song for some reason, but at least we have a confirmed track that "Given Up" and "No More Sorrow" are not pop tracks but rather heavy punk and heavy metal respectively.

semiHYBRIDITY

semiHYBRIDITY Active Member

Huh? No More Sorrow is a confirmed track already? I mean, is a leaked one out already?

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

They aren't part of the pop genre. They're just popular :lol:

:cloud:

Xenogenesis

No. But what are the chances of a heavy metal track being a pop song?

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Agreed. Word.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Linkin Park is Linkin Park. Nothing else.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Whether you like it or not, they've always been pop. They're melodic and they write short catchy songs with similar structures.

Xenogenesis

I feel hurt now. >_<

Dean

It doesn't matter if a band's pop or not. If the music's good, it's good.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

No is my answer. Simple reason is that LP is a mixture of many different styles and to be honest I wouldn't consider Pop one of them. For example songs like Numb, My December etc. are only considered Pop-style songs because they are very soft and mellow songs however no one would even think about calling Nothing Else Matters by Metallica or Dying In Your Arms by Trivium pop songs because niether of those bands are remotely pop even though the songs I mentioned are quite mellow and soft.

But then again I guess that's how things are these days, as soon as a band gains major commercial success they're automaticly a Pop band. If it's irritating for me then I can't even imagine how some bands must feel.

Dean

Pop isn't a style of music though. The Jam are pop. Blondie are pop. Duran Duran are pop. Girls Aloud are pop. My Chemical Romance are pop. Are all those artists from the same genre? No. Are they all accessable to the masses? Yes. The reason bands who have major commercial success are called pop is because that's part of being pop.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
    Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I don't think you understood what I was saying Dean.

Let me make a hypotchetical suggestion. Say if Metal bands starting getting really high in the charts. The way I see it is that if that ever happened then there would be a new cross genre called Pop-Metal. Just like over the years Punk, Rock etc. got popular in the charts and got huge commercial success, new cross genres were introduced e.g. Pop-Punk.

EdGreene

EdGreene Well-Known Member

I might get flamed for this, but I always considred Disturbed to be pop-metal.

Anyway, LP is pop in the sense that they are popular, but a lot of people automatically stick bubblegum in front of that and get ticked off. I think in that respect they are pop, but I define them in iTunes as Rock because that is there music style. I think pop-Rock is more Maroon 5-ish.

EDIT: To the OP, In the End was killed by pop stations in my area. This is nothing really new. No offense mate, you still brought up a good point.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
    Darkquette909

Darkquette909 Member

I AGREE!

I agree...what im listening to is nothing near ROCK..it's POP..
    what happened to Linkin park i mean remember "Hybrid Theory" one of the best albums of ALL time and LP'S best work! im worried about "Minutes to midnight".. and whats up with chester???? THE WHOLE LEATHER LOOK IS NOT HIM!! ..but no matter what i still love them and im a Huge fan of LP..

ROCK IS DEAD..IT HAS TO BE REBORN AGAIN!

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

How is it pop?

I hear guitar, i hear drums, piano and bass.

Sounds like a standard definition rock song to me.

:cloud:

marijaLPnarkos

marijaLPnarkos Well-Known Member

What? :lol:

I mean, they've made it to escape from nu metal crap, now you call them pop?

Dean

I wasn't aiming that at you, I was just defining pop music. Besides, that's not what you were saying in your previous post. Being popular makes a band pop and for the most part it's nothing to do with genre. Music that I would say can be defined as pop like, say, Girls Aloud, is usually a diluted form of whatever's hot in rock and hip-hop anyway.

Harlz, read my last post.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Glad to know there's another LPAer in the DFW area (Carrollton here). But yeah, I wouldn't really mind about that. Just stop listening to the radio, life will improve considerably.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

If something gets played on MTV and major radio stations with any sort of regularity, it's pop of some type or another, period. So really, LP was "pop" before Hybrid Theory even hit store shelves.