MTV Reviews Minutes To Midnight

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

MTV has posted a fairly positive track-by-track review of the new album here.

An interesting excerpt from the article has Chester commenting on the birth of "The Little Things That Give You Away", a song MTV deems "the best thing Linkin Park have ever done", saying;

"We were writing these harmonies before we went down to New Orleans on the first anniversary of the [Katrina] disaster. And when we were down there, we were talking to these people who lived in the Ninth Ward. One of the lines, about 'water gray, coming through the windows,' was taken from what one older gentleman told me. The feeling I got down there was not a good one.

For my whole life, I was spoon-fed what a great country this is, and I just didn't get that feeling from that trip. I didn't understand how we could spend $120 billion a year on killing people in other countries, but we only allocated $1 billion to rebuilding lives here. It really bothered me. ... I felt sick about it. So I wrote the lyrics. Mike and I had a discussion, and he said, 'Why don't you go write about Katrina?' So I did ... and I put it to the melody we had been working on, and it just fit perfectly."

Source: MTV.com

Thanks to EagleMorph!

BeneathYourSkin

BeneathYourSkin Well-Known Member

I cannot get to the MTV site right now from my school, but from this exerpt, it sounds like a really nice review.

I had known TLTGYA was about the hurricane for the most part, but this explination means a lot more.

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

Never thought of the lyrics in that way. Gives it a new perspective. Didn't the guys talk about these lyrics in a previus interview?

NoBrain2k

NoBrain2k Active Member

now this is proof that you can't trust music reviews. Kerrang says its crap, mtv say its really good.

either way kerrang's assault on mike was uncalled for and, frankly, childish. This is a much more sensible review, but at the end of the day its not what a reviewer thinks that really makes any difference

FiGzZ

FiGzZ Banned

I love the way MTV said about the solo in "In Peices" is about a melt face. I just loved that song, i hope it will be thier second single. It will own everything BELIEVE ME!

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

i cannot wait to hear this song@!!

Mark

Oh christ. Linkin Park and Politics thread is in the Serious Chat forums, guys! Go there.

lachina128

lachina128 Well-Known Member

in regards to MTV's review, I think they did a good job of summing the album up and I do agree with "The little things give you away" being one LP's best songs, at first I thought it was another valentine's day song, because of how slow it sounded, it didn't really catch my attention but the lyrics about hurricane katrina are so mature and just amazing. The different parts of the song, like the verses with lyrics that make you really think about what happened to all those people, the guitar solo, even the drum roll towards the end along with chester and mike singing really make the song simply one of the best of MTM. MTV was right on the spot with how the old LP was blown up and the new was built with those remains.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Nosferatu

Nosferatu Well-Known Member

the only thing the review is missing is what their thoughts were on the overall sound of the album (rather than just giving us info about what the individual tracks were about)

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

I think it was pretty relevant. Even the review summary Mark posted is all about politics. The album itself revolves around politics. You guys can't brush this off because it creates argument and debate. That's what LP want to do.

Mark

Just keep it in that thread. ;)

abajaj2280

abajaj2280 Well-Known Member

its a good, slow song.

Socially Inept

Socially Inept New Member

I think the opposite to what the review seems to think. It doesn't really judge more describes though I guess but the songs they seem to give a negative vibe I give a positive one.

Weird.

Me >>> Mtv. Clearly.

LPdiscovery02

LPdiscovery02 Well-Known Member

this isnt even a review

Ant

Ant Ambient

There doesn't have to be a rating for it to be a review.

Jawsome

Jawsome Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's not much of a review, it even says it's a preview.

sutherbust

sutherbust Member

Politix? lol

This is not an issue of politics....this is real life problems that are right in our face...and that is what most the new cd is about....and we are talking about a review of the cd so yes we can talk about the cd here...it is about a blind nation that only cares when something happens to themselves directly....and if you wanna talk about the problems we are facing..like lp want us to do then people just say...oooo not politics...bla bla.....everyone wants to run away from the problems we face by just lableing them politics. I agree with what chester said about how we are raised to believe that america is the best and so on but if you look into that theory you will find it is a huge lie...yes we are fortunate for having alot of things others may not have everywhere but the big lie this country survives on will destroy us all....the word that comes to mind when i hear america is....HYPOCRITES!

LPdiscovery02

LPdiscovery02 Well-Known Member

it says on the article its a preview and doesnt really critique the songs more explains them =\

Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

Although they didn't really critique the songs, the review sounded positive to me. Which is awesome, because I haven't downloaded the CD so I haven't listened to it yet, and a lot of people on here didn't really like it, so I'll admit I'm a little worried to hear it, but this review sounded kinda positive, so, woohoo! ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.