EXCLUSIVE: LPAssociation.com Interview with DJ Joseph Hahn

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

After months of receiving requests from fans to follow up our exclusive interview with bassist David "Phoenix" Farrell back in December, we here at The Linkin Park Association were able to track down DJ Joseph Hahn for an exclusive interview concerning Minutes to Midnight, as well as details concerning his current solo ventures that have been reported over the last few months. This interview will help to explain to fans whatever happened to The Seed and King Rat, as well as give insight on what we can expect from Joe at this year's upcoming Projekt Revolution tour. Enjoy!
    --

LPA: About how long ago did the idea for SURU first come about, and exactly what inspired you to want to launch SURU to the public? Are you excited this idea is finally getting off the ground?

Joe: SURU started 2 years ago. I wanted to have a place that would carry the brands that I like. I wanted to have a place to showcase the art that I appreciate and I wanted the place to be an extension of what I do outside of Linkin Park. Fashion, Art and Music are very important forms of expression that coexist in such a cool way. I wanted SURU to show that from my point of view.

LPA: Will the SURU that has launched in California be the only SURU store in existence, or do you plan to eventually branch out and open more stores in other states?

Joe: I would love to expand SURU to become a chain. That is something that I can only hope for in the future. Right now, I have my hands full.

LPA: In terms of your other talents, I remember you talking a last year about an independent film you were making called 'The Seed'. For a while there you were posting exclusive behind the scenes movies on the Linkin Park Underground but since then, talk on this movie has appeared to almost go silent and fans are hungry to know more. Do you have an estimate as to when the movie will be released to the public, and is there any plans to feature it for viewing on linkinpark.com? We'll host it for you if you want!

Joe: The SEED is a 12 minute short film that I made in between records. It deals with deception of the mind. I premiered it @ the 2006 Pusan International Film Festival in South Korea. I've been quite busy working on the album that I kind of forgot about the film. I would like to get into a few more festivals before I release it online. It got turned down by Sundance. I guess it wasn't artsy fartsy enough.

LPA: What is the status on King Rat, Kung Fu High School, and any other film projects you may have planned?

Joe: Those projects are now inactive. It has been difficult getting these projects off the ground for many different reasons. Hollywood is very wishy washy. I have moved on and have been having some conversations with some Hollywood folks about some other projects. Nothing really to report for now.

LPA: Judging by the art included on the Hybrid Theory EP and other works you have done for charity, you are quite the skilled painter and artist. Are there any plans to launch a full scale art show like your band mate Mike Shinoda did?

Joe: We're doing a sketch book for Music For Relief which will be available @ the shows on Projekt Revolution. The proceeds will go to save the world from evil. As for other stuff, I occasionally throw a painting up at the Thinkspace Gallery in Los Angeles. They actually have a painting of mine right now. There is a preview of it on my SlamXHype blog.

LPA: Your ningyo looks absolutely incredible and the design is quite clever and unique. What was your inspiration for this toy? He looks like a short Bruce Lee!

Joe: If you ever watched 'Enter The Dragon', you know that the main villain is a guy named Mr. Han. The toy focuses on the rivalry between Mr. Han & Mr. Bruce. Mr. Han is the monkey on his back and is responsible for wounds across the chest and face. Hence 'Mr. Hahn will scratch you to death. I only made 500 of them and will be sure to sell out the day they are released. Available only at SURU.

LPA: On Minutes To Midnight, to some fans you seem to appear less prominently on many of the album's songs, than in comparison to older Linkin Park records. Would you say this was this a conscious decision you and the band made during recording, or would it happen to be something that played out in the way the songs were generated in the studio?

Joe: I did a lot of scratching that Mike and Brad muted out. But aside from that, on this album, everyone in the band was working on everything. We weren't limited to our respected instruments. Every song on the album had a different approach to how it was written. One of the main focuses for me was to nail sounds down by re-amping, resampling, and pushing the dynamic of range with the sounds.

LPA: The video for What I've Done is one of the best videos you've ever created in terms of the message behind it, the the look of it and how it was directed. What was your inspiration behind making the video have the message that it did?

Joe: There were many inspirations. The main ones being the world itself. I tried the best I could to make this video a mirror to the world. The imagery used was carefully selected to show the dynamic contrast between the accomplishment of man and the demise of man. We have been blessed to live a life with many luxuries that have been discovered throughout history. At the same time, it is not all fun and games. There is a fine balance in the world that can be tipped at any point in time and some may argue that it is being tipped. We as a civilization can only maintain that balance with responsibility.

LPA: Concerning Minutes to Midnight, what are you most proud of with this record?

I'm proud of the fact that we made a record that we are completely and absolutely proud of. This is the most thorough and intentional thing that we have ever done. Working on this record has been a lot of work and because of it, we have created a tighter bond within the band.

---

Since it is a well known fact that Joe does not usually give interviews as much as Mike and Chester do, the LPA would like to extend our gratitude to Joe for taking the time to answer our questions, and to give insights to some of the projects him and the band have been working on recently. We urge every one of you in the Los Angeles area to stop by SURU and take a look at what they have to offer, and here's to hoping we'll be able to catch up with the members of Linkin Park again sometime over the next few months! Thanks again, Joe!

INTERVIEW MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED ANYWHERE WITHOUT EXPRESSED WRITTEN CREDIT TO LPA.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Congratulations! You did it again! :D

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

awesome.. how do you do this stuff. I want to be a member of LPA staff haha. i can hope can't I?

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Yes you can. And we got this through a friend of Joe who helps with SURU.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Wicked. :D

MrT

MrT Member

"I did a lot of scratching that Mike and Brad muted out " ....I wonder if he is pissed of cuz of that ...but good to read he was a active part of album

GOOD INTERVIEW LPA !!!!

Mon(e)y

Mon(e)y Active Member

Great inerview. I really wanted to hear Joe's opinion on the album and just other stuff in general. Thank you LPAssociation, you did it again

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Awesome :) Proud to be a part of this site! Great job guys!

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

I was really hoping he would say: "I did all the electronic *pling* sounds on the album, but not that much scratching." It seems like he is pissed, yes.

dragon ninja

dragon ninja Well-Known Member

Excellent. I'm proud of you guys.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I think it's a good think that mike faded the scatching off, because it gives me hope that they will realease more versions later , like remixes. You know. mike sang in some of the earlier songs.. and they are on the DVD so heres to hoping :)

this.user.is.blocked

this.user.is.blocked Member

I like to know more about Joe art works and his art projects...
    Thanks to you I'm satisfied.
    :thumbsup:

I don't understand ...
    How did you make the interview ?
    :hmm:

Black Pleather Beanbag

Black Pleather Beanbag Member

That's a good interview. I have been really wanting to hear what Joe has to say considering his absence for the most part of the new album. I like what I have heard so far but I do wish Joe would be more present. He looks so sad and bored in those AOL seesions just standing around.

I would like to hear the songs with the scratching that was muted out. Probably never will though.:(

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

This is excellent. You guys are absolutely amazing.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Awesome guys, nice work as always. :)

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

The interview was done via Derek and Joe (i don't know how...) and was arranged thanks to the lads over at SURU. Please visit their site and see their stuff as it's nothing less than fucking awesome. Full respect to them.

Yes we are amazing. Your admiration feeds me.

Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

A job well done LPA. You are at the top of the food chain, and this interview shows exactly why.

Tremendous stuff. And thanks again!

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

good interview

Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

I can only repeat what everyone already sad: Awesome work!!

I bet no magazine would have asked for his movie projects and stuff like that, but it was really interesting to read.

Keep it up!

chaosblade

chaosblade Well-Known Member

Neat stuff, LPA. Yet again, Two thumbs up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.