Can mike freestyle?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Enjoiske, May 17, 2007.

Enjoiske

Enjoiske Well-Known Member

I remember seeing an old clip of mike on the wake up show, where he gets down on a session with Rakaa, the first verse he rapped was dedicated over the beat they laid down for him, and then he spit a really good battle style rap. Afterwards though, when it was his turn again, he choked, it seemed like he ran out of rhymes. I don't know if dedicated originated as an unreleased track or as a freestyle first, so if anyone knows anything about this, or any other instances of Shinoda freestyling, do tell.

mcpancakes

mcpancakes Well-Known Member

Dedicated was originally gonna be on the Hybrid Theory EP, but they decided not to put it on there. they eventually put it on the LPU 2.0 cd.

JNudda

JNudda Guest

As Mike has said himself, he isnt a good freestyler because his raps are deeper than most mcs, and so it doesnt flow off the top of the head as quickly.

fallsogracefully

fallsogracefully Member

hehe, I love Mike, and I love his music, but that just sounds like a reeeaally lame excuse :lol:

Enjoiske

well at least his written rhymes are friggin great :D

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Maybe he's a diesel MC ^^

Nothin*2*lose

Nothin*2*lose Well-Known Member

What do you mean by that?

Enjoiske

what's a diesel mc? That is a lame excuse, btw lol. But not everyone is able to freestyle, alot of good rappers cant.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Mike's 2nd verse on the Wake Up Show was actually another thing he had written previously, he mentioned in a post on the Fort Minor messageboard that it was a verse he had written years earlier that just randomly came to him as he was sitting there.

Really though, most MCs that "freestyle" aren't really making it up as they go, they're just pulling out rhymes and verses that they had written before but never used in a song. There are a few that are really good at making things up off the top of the head (see: Supernatural), but generally that's not what happens.

Plus, you have to look at the way Mike writes, he doesn't really write like a rapper, he writes more like a singer, he just happens to rap most of what he writes instead of singing it.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

...and that's what makes his rhymes so unique. I wonder if he has ever done a battle rap:unsure::lol:

Enjoiske

tasta, you're definitely right about a lot of rappers not actually being as improv as they claim, but i mean, even me and my friends kick a freestyle here and there, it's not THAT hard and rare for real freestyles to happen. But within the media i suppose it is.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

yeah i think he was supposed to battle with Celph Titled in "The Battle" but he didn't even bother putting in his part... i'm just guessing though

Version One

Version One Well-Known Member

it's true. i think mike's even said it himself he's not that great at freestyle. it's pretty hard. even nas, one of the most respected artists of all time, can't freestyle.

NoBrain2k

NoBrain2k Active Member

I though Celph Title's rap was a bit lame in "the battle". I liked it at first but the i realised he isn't actually rhyming he is just using the same words twice "change" and "blow-up"... surely thats a bit of a cop out?!?

Anyway back on topic, i don't think mike can freestyle but thats probably cuz its not his bag. The whole "deeper lyrics" thing is a bit of an excuse but i can see where he is coming from. He likes to sit there and write a song and put thought into it just like chester does when he writes lyrics, or anyone else for that matter.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I kinda thought that about The Battle as well, but at least he's using dual meanings of "change" and "blow up," you know?

NoBrain2k

NoBrain2k Active Member

yeah dual meanings does redeem it a little but it still sounds a bit naff to me... Oh well, its still cool.

Enjoiske

nah, thats an actual track. I forget the name and details but i used to have it. I dont know why it appears on the risign tied, though.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Does anyone have a link to this freestyle Mike did on the wake up show, is it on Youtube or somthing? Even if it wernt that great I'd still love to hear Mike sing a couple of lines from Dedicated. That song is easily one of the best hip-hop tracks hes ever done.