Hands Held High

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Tom, May 18, 2007.

brenny_19

brenny_19 Member

couldnt agreed more. i cringe a little when this part comes on. they should have just gone straight to the chorus

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

The lyrics are fairly powerful and I like the vocals towards the end but the music's pretty underwhelming.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

i actually like political lyrics, it adds a sense or reality to the song. I laughed the first time i heard the "what'd he say" bit in the 1st verse. You've gotta love those drums.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Definitely. I cringe a little, too. :lol: I actually think the chorus could have sounded better if they wouldn't have used that word. I think even saying like, "Oh man!" would have sounded better. Haha.. but Amen is just.. psh.. it's laughable.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Again, I'm a music and recording arts major and every time I hear HHH I picture a music video concept for it. I was in the Army for three years and got out as a SGT. so I appreciate the message in the song. Just wish there was more I could do to make the concept real.

Annatar

Annatar Member

I hate it !!! Hands Held High - Linkin Park song ??? No no no....In Hybrid Theory and Meteora mike rapping was very melodic, but this.....

Chip

Chip Well-Known Member

I guess whats missing is.. Brads guitar? If they added that in it would again be going back to "Rock and Hip Hop" but it would show that its Linkin Park. Im guessing Rick Rubin was all like "Nononono, just rap and sing mike, we'll add some Amen's later to make it sound 1337."

lparks41

lparks41 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Saying HHH sounds too much like Fort Minor is just as lame as saying Shadow of the Day sounds too much like Dead by Sunrise so it shouldn't be on the album...lame...lol I think it's Mike's new Lp style.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

You guys act as if they're preaching Christianity or something.

Pr3D

Pr3D Active Member

Amen is distinctally christian & just plains drops the quality of an already questionable song.

I mainly dont like it because politically it's to literal - and i'm not saying i don't agree with what they are saying. It's just that what I found with Linkin Park is you could take their songs however you wanted metaphorically. I can even take TLTGYA metaphorically despite it's obvious Hurricane Katrina origins, but Hands Held High is to 'one view'.

LP are the masters of making a song relate to ANYONE. What is this hands held high shit? Take it off, put it on fort minor, fit in no roads left somewhere.

Pr3D

Pr3D Active Member

I might just add I like to let albums run through, and when I have friends around and this song comes on i get embarassed when he starts going 'amen' and I go out of my way to skip the track.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Its not distinctly Christian... Amen is used in more situations than just prayer these days...

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

Amen means: "I mean it".

hybriddavid

hybriddavid Member

I very much agree with you. I know it doesn't sound like them, but it still is them, Brad even made up the music. (It says on the DVD)

It's a very powerful song, I don't think the 'Amens' are cheesy at all. I love the electronic sound to them.

And the singing at the end... wow.

Pr3D

Pr3D Active Member

It may have other uses, but the word is christian derivitive and i'm sure most people whilst hearing it have religiouis connotations.

Imainge walking down the street listening to your ipod, and a good portion of people i've noticed like the to sing just the chorus out. Imagine going 'Amen, Amen... Amen.' down the street lol.. they'll think your listening to prayer!

Please, oh please never make this a single LP.

Lenore

Lenore Member

It's easily Mike's best rap on an LP album. I don't get the "I don't like them talking about politics" thing. It's a very real part of the world and obviously something they feel strongly about. It's coming from the heart and that shouldn't be restrained.

The "amen" being overly Christian part is just silly when two of the band members are Jewish.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

This part is great.
    Too bad he's telling the truth..

EagleMorph

EagleMorph Well-Known Member

It's not a Christian derivitive at all. It's actually Egyptian, and then taken out of Egypt with the Jews, so it's commonly believed to come out of the Hebrew language and a primary phrase in the Jewish, Christian, and Islamic faiths.

While the Jews were in Egypt, they were subject to the beliefs of their masters (Jews were slaves to the Egyptians until the whole Moses thing).

Egyptians worshipped at the altar of Amon-Ra, or Amen-Ra. That's where the name came from. It was adopted into the Hebrew language as a phrase meaning: "Let it be, so be it, verily, true", and other similar exclamations.

It exists in the Torah, the rest of the Bible, and the Qu'ran (Koran).

As it exists in "Hands Held High," it applies to none of these religions but to the English translation of the Hebrew word.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

If HHH was released as a single, people would be like " where's that guy that screams all the time??". It is an awesome song in it's own right, but it just seems to lack any other band member apart from Mike. It would have slipped perfectly into "The Rising Tied" track list. I was a bit unsure at first when I heard the "amen" chorus but looking deeper it does have it's meaning to the band. The verses are written so well and the rest of the song is written around them. It's a harmonic mellow song that captures the feeling, it wishes to create, oh so well.

Enjoiske

Enjoiske Well-Known Member

the amens in the chorus are actually sung by the entire band, so you are wrong sir!!

nah i get what you mean though.

I like hands held high. It's very different, and it gives m2m some wierd variety. If the album had one more song with rapping it would have been perfect, like hands held high the calm song, bleed it out the fun song, they need a heavy rap song. But watever!