What Happend to Mr. Hahn?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MooMoozer, May 17, 2007.

MooMoozer

MooMoozer Well-Known Member

I noticed on the album (which I like sorta) you dont hear much of Joe anymore.
    what happend to him, I think the music would be more reconizable if there was that electronic sound to it.

Has anyone else noticed the that you don't hear him that much anymore or is that just me?

Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

I can only hear him in In pieces and What I've Done.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Yeah I've noticed that too. To be honest, it really sucks to see Joe simply stand behind his turntables and do nothing.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I noticed it too and more Joe Hahn in the songs was definetily something I was hoping to here on the new record.

CHW42

CHW42 Well-Known Member

Go watch the What I've Done video again and pay attention to Joe, in this one scene he was shaking his head like a madman. Pretty funny lol. But yea he's basically the least showcased memeber of the band, before they actually gave him his own song, well now, he's just directing the videos. Well at least it's something.

MooMoozer

MooMoozer Well-Known Member

He was really the reason I likes LP so much to begin with the scratching gave their songs an edge. But with out it... it seems kind of blank and empty.

Maybe thats why it's so hard for me to really get into these songs.

RyzinEnagy

RyzinEnagy New Member

I do wanna hear Joe more, but I don't think the members of the band just supressed it and kept him out against his wishes. I think he's playing other roles inthe music, including directing videos, like you said.

Or maybe Joe wasn't around during the entire recording process. Just throwing around theories.

Enjoiske

Enjoiske Well-Known Member

everybody did everything. Joe did vocals even. But they were bad. THe band members didnt play their usual roles, and hahn did record scratches but alot were muted. I blame Rick Rubin. But he slides because the beastie boys record he produced was great.

lol im drunk never mind me. But i speak the truth! And my typing is pretty good for a man under the influence!

Pr3D

Pr3D Active Member

It's their new sound I guess, just like how it drops the rapping undertone, it drops alot of the effects hahn contributed. It's a shame. They should of let him spin his own dedicated track again - it was a cool touch - and they won instrumental awards for those tracks.

And the jump between 'Cure for the Itch' and 'Session' showed hahn's maturity and progression. We can't benchmark him now.

Come next album he might not exist if they keep rick rubin.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

He was there as much as on Hybrid Theory... His beats are far more prominant than ever before as well. The only difference is they aren't basing songs on samples, thats what Meteora was, they already did that.

Klootzak

Klootzak Well-Known Member

How would a Linkin Park album co-produced by Rick Rubin and Hahn sound like? Would be a cool idea if he did...

Lenore

Lenore Member

Turntable-ism is more than just record scratching. I think he's shifted into a more Frank Delgado (Deftones) role, who doesn't use traditional scratches at all. It's just more subtle than previous albums.

Little Things, Shadow, In Between are good examples. It also looks like he does the piano part for Bleed It Out on his sampler (or it appeared so from the SNL clip)

Con Psy

Con Psy Active Member

yeah but think he'll actually have loads to do live because LP arent gonna be carrying an string orchestra with them on tour. so on shadow of the day, leave out all the rest. he play the string parts and the other parts that the band dindt play on his vinyl. Sucks tho because Wake would have sound better with scratching and effects, they could have made another song like numb which is based on Joe's sample

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

there is no piano part on "bleed it out".

joe's doing a lot of the synth stuff on the album. he's not going with the "nu-metal scratching" anymore, as that's more of the old LP sound; his scratches are rare on this album - just "what i've done" and "in pieces", i think, but joe plays a big part in the album's ... atmosphere, nonetheless.

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Yeah I also think that Joe will have enough things to do on stage.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Like checking his email. XP

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

I think Joe Hahn can be heard several of times in the songs; just not prominently as much as the scratching previously. Right now I assume that you could hear some of his simple sampling in Shadow of The Day, scratching on prominently the beginning of Valentine's Day when Chester's voice gets raspy or something, In Pieces more scratching as well as The Little Things You Give Away.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Take that with a grain of salt. The band has been known to be sarcastic and joking in the past. Like how they buried the Meteora demos in the backyard.

-x-ecks-x-

-x-ecks-x- Well-Known Member

I saw on stage that he has a lot more equipment, like a laptop for one. He's not a designated turntablist (if that's a word). There are a lot of samples still on the new album, although you really have to pay attention to hear some of them.

Considering the huge success of M2M, we can be sure that LP will be back. They will continue to evolve this new sound and I think they will start to pick up on their roots again. This album was them maturing and stretching new muscles. Chester even said in an interview that the band was absolutely positive they would lose fans with this album, and they didn't care. I respect that, they do enough for the fans, it's about time they did something for themselves. After Meteora, I think they started to feel weighed down by their "style". A Hybrid Theory: Part 3 would have been cool, but I think their next album will be amazing.

They aren't afraid anymore due to their recent success. LP are definitely here to stay, and I'm sure Joe will be back bigger then ever.

spikeshinizle

spikeshinizle Well-Known Member

Although I do miss his scratches, they wouldnt fit into most songs. I'm pretty sure Joe was responsible for a lot of the synth stuff, which a lot of songs have. As well as some of the smaller beats that Rob doesnt play. Overall, I think he gave some of the songs their ambience, so they werent just guitar and drums.